• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official MLB Draft Thread

A few thoughts after this has had a little time to settle... 

1) I'll trust the Angels evaluation of the player over any publication you throw my way, and I might even trust that the Angels might know just a little bit more about a Fresno St. player then your average team that passed on him.

2) I don't really mind taking a second or third round talent at the very end of the first round, as beyond the top 20 picks or so you drop down to a tier (2nd-4th round) where a lot of major league caliber players are drafted.

3) I'm not a fan of drafting a catcher in general. Obviously you need one, but teams put so many resources into developing them and the majority flame out, suck, or are ultimately mediocre anyway. 1st round catchers always seem to have a high opportunity cost. 

4) I understand that we have a small bonus pool, and that signability is definitely an issue for this draft. Ultimately anyone can flame out and anyone can step up.

5) What I don't like is having the organization as the lone voice in praise of this guy. I don't like scouting reports that say 'lacks a natural feel for hitting' or selling points that list insignificant skills like 'catching & throwing' or unprojectable ones like 'patient.' 

The Angels are out a bit on a ledge with this guy. People have called the draft a crap shoot, and that's BS. It's a lot more like poker, any hand can win and any hand can let you down. It's about playing the odds. At the end of the first round odds are you end up with a marginal major leaguer, but most of the guys actually taken at that stage are 'projected' to be above average players - if things go right. It's tough to see the team take someone that already projects as a marginal major leaguer, even if that is what they were most likely going to end up with anyway.

Don't understand this draft at all

some teams had 4 picks before the angels made their 2nd pick

Astros got a pick because they failed to sign last years pick, which by the way I think is ridiculous. Maybe if they are going to do that the team shouldn't be given the second and fifth pick or whatever it was. Maybe you give them a 20-30 pick for failing to sign a player, that way the team doesn't benefit from being incompetent and drafting players that are unsignable.

Don't understand this draft at all

some teams had 4 picks before the angels made their 2nd pick

Compensation picks for losing FAs and some teams had carryover picks for failing to sign people they drafted last year.   There are also competitive balance picks awarded to teams in either a small market or for teams who get revenue sharing money  

Among the teams that get competitive balance picks are the Cards who have the 6th highest revenue and the Mariners who are just poorly run and receiving MLB welfare.  Here's the real kicker -- teams who get those picks are able to trade them, and the perks don't end there.  The competitive balance picks averaged out an additional 1.4 Mil in signing pool money.   That extra money is HUGE.  So, a team like the Angels that went from being a poorly run, unprofitable loser, to a successful team that's turning a profit are actually penalized for doing it right.  

It pays to be bad and stupid. 

Edited by Inside Pitch

I didn't even realize that the Cards and Mariners are getting competitive balance picks, that seems... wrong somehow.  I don't know that much about those picks and how they are determined though.

But yeah, still can't believe we drafted this guy in the first round.  "Toolsy" catchers with a mediocre bat and shitty receiving ability are a dime a dozen around the league, and it was pretty much unanimous that this was one of the weakest drafts for catching talent in years.  With a pick this low in the first we needed to just snag the best talent available, and this dude definitely was not that and it can't really be argued.  Hopefully its just part of some greater plan, but it seems more like a severe reach. 

Edited by Reveille1984

Meet our 3rd round pick.

Grayson Long | Rank: 153

School: Texas A&MYear: JuniorPosition: RHPAge: 21 DOB: 5/27/1994Bats: R Throws: RHeight: 6'5" Weight: 215 lb.
Previously Drafted: 2012, 39th (1181) - SEA

VIDEO

Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Slider: 50 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 45 | Overall: 45

The first time he was eligible for the Draft, Long faltered as a high school senior in 2012 and dropped from a potential third-round choice to the point where he wasn't signable and lasted 39 rounds. He has fared much better in his second chance this spring, following lackluster freshman and sophomore years with an undefeated regular season as a junior.

Long's fastball faded a little bit toward the end of the spring, but he's capable of pitching at 89-91 mph and reaching 93. His heater appears quicker because he unleashes it with an easy delivery, and its riding life helps it play up further. He does a nice job of maintaining his arm speed on his changeup, giving him a second solid pitch.

Long's low-80s slider can rate as average, though it gets slurvy at times. He's built for durability but his lack of a true plus offering limits his ceiling to a back-of-the-rotation role. He'll need to refine his control and command to be effective as a starter in pro ball.

Edited by Dave Saltzer