• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official MLB Draft Thread

I guess I can take a wait-and-see approach. After all, catchers are late bloomers with the stick, anyway (with obvious exceptions). How long did it take Yadi to be a productive hitter?

Didn't post a 100 or better ops+ until his 5th season in the Majors. I agree with the wait and see approach. Scouts aren't 100% right all of the time, so there is definitly a chance Ward could exceed expectations or he could turn out to be a bust...another Mathis. Guess we'll know in a couple of years.

I don't want to bash the kid, perhaps the Angels' scouts see more projection with the bat than others. My only real issue with the pick, well 2 issues are the fact that in the 1st round we should of been looking for the best player available and second, we have Perez and Bandy currently on the 40 man. Best case scenario this kid replaces Bandy as Perez' backup in 3-4 years.

If that is your best case scenario, that's projecting a lot of negativity. Why not a best case scenario of a starting catcher who hits .260 - .280 with 10 dangers in 120 games, all while throwing out 40% of all base runners?

If that is your best case scenario, that's projecting a lot of negativity. Why not a best case scenario of a starting catcher who hits .260 - .280 with 10 dangers in 120 games, all while throwing out 40% of all base runners?

I'd love to read the scouting report that says that.

Of course, Ward could end up being the next Yadier Molina and Stephenson could be the next Mathis. We just don't know at this point. But what we do know is the Angels likely could have had this guy in the 2nd or even 3rd round, and they took him in the first for some bizarre reason.

Did you see this from Jeff Fletcher?

@JeffFletcherOCR: MLB exec says Angels draft pick Taylor Ward was probably a reach at No. 26, but would have been "risky" to wait till 70 to get him.

In a weak draft, with very little consensus past the top 3, the Angels went in a different direction. Not whom I would have picked, but maybe this pick sets up their entire draft down the line. With a low draft rank and bonus pool, they do have to be more strategic. I'm not selling the pick, but it is growing on me.

@JeffFletcherOCR: MLB exec says Angels draft pick Taylor Ward was probably a reach at No. 26, but would have been "risky" to wait till 70 to get him.

In a weak draft, with very little consensus past the top 3, the Angels went in a different direction. Not whom I would have picked, but maybe this pick sets up their entire draft down the line. With a low draft rank and bonus pool, they do have to be more strategic. I'm not selling the pick, but it is growing on me.

Where do you expect the angels farm system to rank next year? 29nth or 30th?

You are clearly selling this pick.  What makes you trust this organization's scouting lately?

What makes you certain that publications know more about a player than the Angels who scouted him for over a year? I have zero idea whether it's a good pick or not, I just know the draft is more than one pick and true systems get strength by drafting well in later rounds.

What makes you certain that publications know more about a player than the Angels who scouted him for over a year? I have zero idea whether it's a good pick or not, I just know the draft is more than one pick and true systems get strength by drafting well in later rounds.

No one is certain of that but it doesn't help.  Also in reading the scouting reports he's not what we need. 

Where do you expect the angels farm system to rank next year? 29nth or 30th?

I would bet in the 25 to 30 rank. But I'm on record many times as saying that there's lot more to baseball player development than an organization's ranking in a national magazine. Did those magazines spot Shoemaker? How did that factor into their rankings?

This!

The current state of the Angels' system, for one.

Are you happy with the pitching in our minor league system? Because that is what they have focused on. I'd prefer more balanced draft approach but I understand going pitching heavy since that's constantly the best currency in baseball.