• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dual Allegiance: Can You Love Two Teams?

Ellen%2BBell%2Band%2BEx%2BCubbies.jpeg

By Ellen Bell, AngelsWin.com Staff Reporter - 

For a sports fan, loyalty is the name of the game. A true fan supports his beloved team through winning streaks and ninth inning losses; always faithful no matter what the box score says. And even though I am truly devoted to the Angels, 

I’ve never forgotten my first love.

Like many transplanted southern Californians, I came from somewhere else. Chicago was my home for the first half of my life. It’s where I grew tough during brutal winters, developed a life-long relationship with pizza, and it’s where I fell in love with baseball. 

As a kid, the Cubs were my guys; the first sports team where I knew the names of players and actually cared about wins and losses. I learned about baseball in the bleachers of Wrigley Field, ditching high school with my buddies just like Ferris Bueller. 

We didn’t expect much success on the field back then. My childhood coincided with a pretty lean period for the Cubbies. But it didn’t really matter. Every year, warm weather meant the smells of roasting hot dogs and Coppertone sun lotion, the crack of the bat and taunts from Bleacher Bums. When the winter was over, it was time to sit outside in the fresh air and sunshine and spend a day with the Cubs.

After college I moved to Orange County, and when it was time to find a local team where I could raise my children with baseball, the Angels were the perfect choice. As my kids grew, so did my love for my new home team. In many ways, the Angels reminded me a lot  of the Cubs back then. They weren’t winning a lot of games and their roster wasn’t full of all-stars, but the Angels won me over with their grit and perseverance. After all, I was used to rooting for the underdog. Twenty years have passed, and I am now a season-seat holding, spring training-attending, die-hard Angels fan. 

So is this really possible? Can you have a passion for more than one team? If your closet contains jerseys from two different cities, does that dilute your heart-felt devotion? 

I say no. The relationships that I’ve built with my two teams are unique and are based on experiences that are part of my life story. Just like old friends, our sports teams remind us of where we’ve been. Anyone who loves baseball knows that being a fan is about more than celebrating when your team wins. It’s about history, childhood memories, unbelievable games, and heartbreaking disappointments. It’s all wrapped up into the experience of loving a team, whether they play a thousand miles away or right in your own backyard. 

So even though I can’t wait for AngelsWin Fan Fest next weekend, and for another season of Halos baseball to begin, I spent last weekend with the Cubs at spring training. 

The new park in Mesa was a beautiful place to spend the afternoon. The sun was out, the Chicago dogs were grilling, and the boys in blue were on the field. 

It was nice to be back home. 
3GsAxtIPyF8

View the full article

While I don't truly love two teams, I can absolutely see where you could.  Especially if you move away from where you grew up.  (Like I did from So Cal to Colorado)

Every year I keep trying to increase my interest in the Rockies, but it just never seems to work out.  I think part of that is because I'm so fully invested in the Angels and the other part is that the Rockies are typically terrible.  But I want good things for them.  It's more of a Love and Like situation here.

For hockey it's kind of similar.  I love the Ducks, but I want good things for the Avs.  (As long as it doesn't adversely impact the Ducks).  Again, kind of a Love and Like thing.

I guess the closest thing I could come up with would be college sports.  I grew up loving UCLA, and I still love them.  But when we moved to Fort Collins, CO, Colorado State is right up the street from us.  Over the last 10 years, I've absolutely grown to love the teams from that school.  So I can honestly say that I love UCLA and CSU sports.  

So yeah, I can see where someone could love two teams.  Especially if they are in different divisions and rarely had any meaningful games against each other (as is the case with the Angels and Cubs).  But God help you, Ellen, if they ever face-off in the World Series! 

Good stuff, Ellen!  

Are we talking true sports polygamy or just having a mistress on the side?

Since I no longer live in So Cal (grew up in San Dimas--San Dimas High School rules), I've flirted with many different teams in my time in Florida and now Michigan, but I still am loyal to the Angels. I can't quite embrace the Tigers--kind of like the Indians, can't stand the White Sox, could like the Cubs if they ever get their act together, and have liked the Cards for years since Edmonds. But if there ever was a playoff series or World Series, it'd be the Angels, no question. 

The Cubs and the Angels mean different things to me, but they are still planted firmly in my heart.

The Angels are my day to day team...the guys I watch every single night. The team I buy tickets for...the team that I do crazy things for.

For example: Last summer, I flew to Chicago and saw my annual summer game at Wrigley. The next day, I drove 6 hours to Cleveland by myself just to see the Angels play in a rained-out make up game.

But I can never stop being a Cubs fan...not even a halfway one...because that experience made me a baseball fan.

And YES! An Angels Cubs World Series would be the best!!!

Are we talking true sports polygamy or just having a mistress on the side?

Since I no longer live in So Cal (grew up in San Dimas--San Dimas High School rules), I've flirted with many different teams in my time in Florida and now Michigan, but I still am loyal to the Angels. I can't quite embrace the Tigers--kind of like the Indians, can't stand the White Sox, could like the Cubs if they ever get their act together, and have liked the Cards for years since Edmonds. But if there ever was a playoff series or World Series, it'd be the Angels, no question. 

I'd say the Cubs are my first marriage and the Angels are my trade-up trophy wife... :-)

A true baseball fan can enjoy good performances by any player on any team.

and, yes, a fan can have allegiance to more than one team. So can players, to a point.

today's article in the LA Times about Howie going to the Dodgers was great. He says he cherishes his years with the Angels and is looking forward to a new chapter with the Blue in Los Angeles. perfect answer.

Me? Halos first but I always enjoy watching good performances and players from other teams.

I just plain like baseball.

A true baseball fan can enjoy good performances by any player on any team.

and, yes, a fan can have allegiance to more than one team. So can players, to a point.

today's article in the LA Times about Howie going to the Dodgers was great. He says he cherishes his years with the Angels and is looking forward to a new chapter with the Blue in Los Angeles. perfect answer.

Me? Halos first but I always enjoy watching good performances and players from other teams.

I just plain like baseball.

Me too.. and that's a great point about Howie...who knows, maybe he'll end up on the Cubs someday???

I know it's possible to love two teams because of what they represent.

In baseball, I only love the Angels, but I also really like the Padres too.

But in football, I will always have two loves. I'm a Chargers fan, but around 10 years old I grew into a Niners fan as well. The Chargers represent one home, the Niners the other.

The same with college, we grew up only allowed to watch Notre Dame in our house. But once I got to high school I noticed almost all of our players that moved on went to either Cal or Oregon. Then my best friend ended up playing in Oregon. I still love Notre Dame because of my childhood, but Oregon because of adolescence and personal connection.

I kind of know how you feel.  I really enjoy watching the Giants.  I moved up to the bay area for college 8 years ago.  Most of my friends up here are Giants fans and as a result I have spent many a night at bars watching Giants games.  Then the 2010 WS happened.  The energy in the city was amazing. Something you didn't really get in 2002 because OC is so spread out.  People were hanging out their windows shouting chants for the Giants, police were sounding their sirens to the chants, and it seemed everyone in the city came out to celebrate.  Obviously I was personally much much more excited about 2002, but this experience was great.  I have since found a spot for them in my heart and have a few Giants shirts and attend a game once or twice a year (their park is also a great one).  Their organization and their players are just likable.  However, I am an Angels fan through and through.  Despite the fact I do like the Giants, I have no problem doing a bit of smack talking on their fans.  I didn't even watch much of them in the playoffs last year because I was so bummed about the Angels early departure.  Even though I go to a couple Giants games a year I go to even more Angels games at the Coliseum when they play the A's.  And there is only one team I would want to win when the two play each other.

Hypothetically, if the Angels and Cubs met in the World Series, who would you want to win?

I shouldn't see why a person couldn't have more than one team they like or love. Most of us have more than one friend or relative we care about, right?

I love the Angels best, but there have been a bunch of players I've liked - both Angels and players from other teams -  who have been traded or signed deals elsewhere. I'm not going to stop liking them just because they're now wearing a different color jersey. As someone else said on this thread, good baseball is good baseball.

The angels are the only team im a fan of, but there are other teams i like. I like the cards because of how theyre run, i like the cubs because their bad luck history, oakland because theyre outcasts, i like the giants because they hate the dodgers, etc. But i dont 'cheer' for those teams.

If youre a team of team X as well as a boston/yankee/dodger fan, it looks bandwagonish. But like the OP, if youre a transplant that has the team you grew up with and adopted your new one, nothing really wrong with that

I kind of know how you feel.  I really enjoy watching the Giants.  I moved up to the bay area for college 8 years ago.  Most of my friends up here are Giants fans and as a result I have spent many a night at bars watching Giants games.  Then the 2010 WS happened.  The energy in the city was amazing. Something you didn't really get in 2002 because OC is so spread out.  People were hanging out their windows shouting chants for the Giants, police were sounding their sirens to the chants, and it seemed everyone in the city came out to celebrate.  Obviously I was personally much much more excited about 2002, but this experience was great.  I have since found a spot for them in my heart and have a few Giants shirts and attend a game once or twice a year (their park is also a great one).  Their organization and their players are just likable.  However, I am an Angels fan through and through.  Despite the fact I do like the Giants, I have no problem doing a bit of smack talking on their fans.  I didn't even watch much of them in the playoffs last year because I was so bummed about the Angels early departure.  Even though I go to a couple Giants games a year I go to even more Angels games at the Coliseum when they play the A's.  And there is only one team I would want to win when the two play each other.

Hypothetically, if the Angels and Cubs met in the World Series, who would you want to win?

SO you understand me!! I almost had to decide this in 2008 when both teams were dominating going into the playoffs...won't make the mistake of thinking about it before it happens. too superstitious. When they play interleague its always fun for me...but I always end up wanting the Angels to win. Don't tell anyone in Chicago....

Contrary to popular belief ... I only have love for one team and that my friends is the Angels. I don't have the time or energy to follow another team closely like I do the Angels. Yes,  I think a true baseball fan can have interest in other team and players ... I know I do. Most my interest is in west coast teams.

Go Angels baseball!

when i was a kid, i pulled just as much for the Reds as i did for the Angels, my connection being that we lived in ohio for a while. i think i was more passionate for the reds then because of the big red machine and the fact that they were winning while the halos kept spinning their tires in the mud. my friends and i would always wonder when it was going to be the angels turn.

i think where the switch for me really came was when i discovered online message boards in the 90s and the emergence of tim salmon, plus the retirement of johnny bench.

that might make me sound a bit bandwagonish, but i don't care. the reds will always hold a special place in my fandom, but the halos are my team.