• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

James Shields

wopphil

I've come around to the James Shields idea a bit but I'm still not in favor of it. 

Going into 2016, the Angels will have Richards, Shoemaker, Heaney, Skaggs, Weaver, Wilson, Santiago, Tropeano, Smith and McGowin as starting rotation options with Sean Newcomb not too far behind. 

Factor in Shields being signed through his mid 30's and the loss of the 1st round pick and I'm still against it. Shields will probably pitch like his usual self in 2015 and possibly 2016 but there's still a to of risk involved in a guy who has pitched so many innings for so long. 

Plus, Weaver, Wilson, Hamilton, Pujols and Trout all see raises in 2016 while Freese, Iannetta and Street are FA. They seem to have plenty of pitching going forward and need the resources to help other spots on the team. 

The longer he remains unsigned, the more I have to wonder if he can be acquired on very team friendly terms (like somewhere between 3/50 and 4/65). The last time a pitcher remained unsigned this late into the off-season was Kyle Lohse a couple years ago, and he settled 3/33, I believe.

Pull the trigger here Arte.

I agree with Fletcher that he'll fall to Boston/New York before falling to the Angels.

Realistically I don't see the Angels signing him unless he takes something like 3/48. I'd be certain the Yankees and Bosox would pay him a lot more than that though. Probably more teams as well. Basically, he'll have to really really want to play here.

Arte was burned 3 times in 2 years by bad FA contracts (Pujols, CJ, Hamilton). 

I think Wilson's contract will be over before we sign another big name FA. Having 3 bad contracts on the team sucks. What's worse than that? 4.

I don't think CJ's contract was terrible....he was ok, up and down some, in 12; very good in 13; and too much up and down and not very good in 14....that's pretty standard for a long term deal for a pitcher...not great but certainly not Hamilton or Wells....

1. I think he will go to the Red Sox eventually.

2. Were the Steinbrenner boys adopted?

1. Probably.

2. Apparently, the Yankees were serious about trying to get under the luxury tax. That's the only explanation I have for their mystifying absence this offseason. They also may want to wait on what happens with A-Rod and the eleventy billion left on his contract.

1. Probably.

2. Apparently, the Yankees were serious about trying to get under the luxury tax. That's the only explanation I have for their mystifying absence this offseason. They also may want to wait on what happens with A-Rod and the eleventy billion left on his contract.

Mainly true, although the Steinbrenner boys may also be staying quiet because they spent some $400 million on 3 long term contracts the previous off-season. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

I'm as big a proponent of SP depth as anyone, but I want nothing to do with Shields--or, more accurately, nothing to do with his contract.  Even if he comes at a "discount" at this late hour, it will still be a substantial, long term contract.  Why blow past the luxury tax now?  Give some of these young arms a shot and lets see how 2b shakes out.  If we are going to go past the luxury tax, it should be for a mid-season acquisition when we have a better idea of what our needs are.

I don't think CJ's contract was terrible....he was ok, up and down some, in 12; very good in 13; and too much up and down and not very good in 14....that's pretty standard for a long term deal for a pitcher...not great but certainly not Hamilton or Wells....

Agreed. 2015 is a make or break year in terms of assessing CJ's contract. If he goes out and throws 200 innings with a sub 4 ERA I think you have to call the contract a mild success at worst. 

Both Lester and Sherzer signed deals that took them to Age 37.  The problem with Shields is he's already 33 years old.  The max amount of years he can reasonable expect to get is around 4 and even then, I wouldn't do it.  He was never going to get a $100MM+ contract at his age like people were predicting.  I think at this point, he's going to get 3 years and maybe somewhere between $48-$54 million.  Not a bad deal for some team out there but I don't think I'd want the Angels biting at that price either.  If the Angels could get him at something like 3/$39MM, I think they'd at least be tempted to go for it.  

Id go 3 years 50 mil. That's pretty reasonable, and he's got upside to outperform that. He's more talented than cj, and he has a longer track record of success.

Dude could put us over the top if he performs, throw the postseason stats out the window.

3 year contracts are safe contracts. it's very hard to get burned.

I would do 3-years for Shields in a heartbeat. 200+ innings of a mid-3 ERA is exactly what this rotation needs. I don't think it happens, I think the team would want someone to take Wilson or they could stash Heaney and Tropeano in Salt Lake, but it would be an amazing move. 

Richards

Weaver

Shields

Shoemaker

Heaney

Tropeano in Salt Lake

Santiago and Rasmus in the pen