• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

James Shields

wopphil

Anyone think Shields would settle for a 1 year deal for a west coast team? I think the longer he isn't signed, the more likely that scenario happens. And if it does, would you sign him? Say, 1/12M? I know the Angels would lose a pick for that short term deal, but could they gain it back by making qualifying offer after 2015?

Not a chance in hell. But he might "settle" for a deal in the 4/70 range if nobody is willing to go much higher than that.

Anyone think Shields would settle for a 1 year deal for a west coast team? I think the longer he isn't signed, the more likely that scenario happens. And if it does, would you sign him? Say, 1/12M? I know the Angels would lose a pick for that short term deal, but could they gain it back by making qualifying offer after 2015?

Lol no way

If you guys seriously think Shields and Weaver are up there with Kershaw we have no reason to talk anymore, plain and simple.

I don't see any comparisons going on here.  The point trying to be made is that Kershaw is hands down the best pitcher in the league and will go down as one of the best ever and even he has blown it several times in the postseason.  So the point is that postseason success is not a good indicator of the regular season and should not really factor into any decision.  The A's got Lester last year specifically for his postseason success.  How did that work out for them?  

I see it the other way. If Shields improves the team you sign him.

Start of the season rotation without Shields:

1. Weaver

2. CJ

3. Shoemaker

4.____________ 

5.____________

Possible starters:

Richards ~ April-May

A. Santiago

B. Heaney

C. Tropeano

D. Rasmus

Richards comes back sometime around 1-2 months into the 2015 season.

Weaver isn't getting any younger. And has had some issues early on with tendonitis or back issues. If he goes down early again we are looking for 3 spots.

I have always said you do what you need to then deal from an area of strength for whatever is needed later on. This is what JeDi should do now. Sign Shields, see where CJ is, make sure there is no issues with Weaver and wait till Richards is back. If CJ nibbler shows up the you trade him for a couple low level older prospects/suspects and kick in some cash to make it worth while. I'm just not a fan of running kids out there unproven and with injuries as we saw last year (we lost Richards and Skaggs). Always, have to say if we lost 2-3 of the 8 currently where would we be? If we lost 2-3 of these guys without Shields and CJ sucks we are screwed....

Best Scenario End of 1st half rotation:

1. Weaver

2. Shields

3. Shoemaker

4. Richards

5. Santiago

5b. Heaney

5c. Tropeano

5d. Rasmus

You got a point. However, it could cripple us in the long term.

Wouldn't mind having Shields, but then they are pretty much forced to trade CJ so Heaney can have a spot in the rotation. I don't think Dipoto traded Kendrick for a top prospect only to have that prospect sit in the minors for 2 years and get spot starts.

I don't believe having to trade CJ is as necessary as many here think. If CJ is twice the pitcher he was last year, he will head for the bullpen and his eventual slide out of baseball. If he can regain his pitching prowess, then one or two top prospects in the minors waiting for their eventual call up should be considered a quality problem, yes? In no way do I believe CJ’s contract will block the Angels success. 

If we could sign Shields to a contract that makes sense, I’m for adding a verified major league starter.

I don't believe having to trade CJ is as necessary as many here think. If CJ is twice the pitcher he was last year, he will head for the bullpen and his eventual slide out of baseball. If he can regain his pitching prowess, then one or two top prospects in the minors waiting for their eventual call up should be considered a quality problem, yes? In no way do I believe CJ’s contract will block the Angels success.

If we could sign Shields to a contract that makes sense, I’m for adding a verified major league starter.

You didn't get the memo, Shields is a nobody, so don't confuse that with a verified major league starter.

You didn't get the memo, Shields is a nobody, so don't confuse that with a verified major league starter.

it's the new math.

if you have 100 baseballs and i take away ten. how many baseballs do you have?

the answer is none. you either have all the balls or none of them.

if you don't have the balls, then you have no balls.

We pay Josh Hamilton 25 Million a year. Has he helped?

So because Josh and Albert haven't earned their contracts don't sign anymore free agents, just in case they also under perform compared to contract? I seriously don't care one way or another if we sign James Shields, but what I can almost certainly guarantee is that we won't give him a crazy $100 million contract. I think the only way he pitches for the Angels next year is if we get him at a reasonable contract, or a slight overpay for 4 years.