• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

James Shields

wopphil

Would look awfully good for 4/72. He would slot in nicely between Richards and Weaver, would bring stability and consistency to the rotation, would keep the pen fresh, and would mitigate against injury or poor performance by the youngsters. And his price might just be low enough to fit in under the cap.

Also, his 2.62 ERA in the second half last year (while averaging just shy of 7 innings per start) makes me think concerns about his demise have been exaggerated.

Just sayin. I know the team probably isn't interested, but I think he would really complete our roster.

I'm guessing that Dipoto is staying in touch with his agent. The market for him seems to have sort of disappeared. It still seems like Boston should snap him up, but who knows. I didn't love the idea of the Angels signing him at his expected price at the beginning of the off-season, but if his price drops low enough, I can see it making sense.

Edited by WallyWorld

Was reading this morning that he wants to be on he West Coast if given the option. He lives in San Diego and would like to pitch close to home. Not sure if that means he'd take a discount however.

I am sure he would, just depends I guess on the amount of the discount.

Wouldn't mind having Shields, but then they are pretty much forced to trade CJ so Heaney can have a spot in the rotation. I don't think Dipoto traded Kendrick for a top prospect only to have that prospect sit in the minors for 2 years and get spot starts.

Wouldn't mind having Shields, but then they are pretty much forced to trade CJ so Heaney can have a spot in the rotation. I don't think Dipoto traded Kendrick for a top prospect only to have that prospect sit in the minors for 2 years and get spot starts.

True, but let's assume G-Rich is going to miss the first month of the season (because let's face it, he is). You let CJ pitch in April and, if by the time Richards is ready to come back, CJ is sucking, you move him to the pen or trade him for a bucket of balls and eat most of his salary. If he's pitching well, you might actually be able to work a decent trade out or, maybe someone else is hurt by that time and you don't even have to make a move. You can't have too much good pitching.

report a couple of days ago that he's seeking 5/125.  

Granted, he can ask for anything he wants.  But that sort of number seems like it would be thrown out early in the off season before there is a lay of the land.  If that's still his number I find that rather insane.  If someone pays that, they are crazy.  

25mil per for a guy entering his 33yo season and a ton of mileage on him.  Guys getting paid 25mil per are #1 starters.  Although i don't like the idea of paying any pitcher that kind of money, if you are going to pay that much for a guy for his 33-37yo seasons it's because you also got his 30-32yo seasons as well.  

My point for bringing this up is that if he's still at 5/125 this late in the off season, I can't imagine he'd be anywhere near considering 4/70.  Only way we get him is if he's still unsigned a month from now and is willing to accept a 1yr deal.  

report a couple of days ago that he's seeking 5/125.  

Granted, he can ask for anything he wants.  But that sort of number seems like it would be thrown out early in the off season before there is a lay of the land.  If that's still his number I find that rather insane.  If someone pays that, they are crazy.  

25mil per for a guy entering his 33yo season and a ton of mileage on him.  Guys getting paid 25mil per are #1 starters.  Although i don't like the idea of paying any pitcher that kind of money, if you are going to pay that much for a guy for his 33-37yo seasons it's because you also got his 30-32yo seasons as well.  

My point for bringing this up is that if he's still at 5/125 this late in the off season, I can't imagine he'd be anywhere near considering 4/70.  Only way we get him is if he's still unsigned a month from now and is willing to accept a 1yr deal.  

A guy like Shields has no incentive to take a 1 year deal. He will sign for the most money, and someone will offer him more years than that.

I think a 3 year deal with a mutual 4th year would be best for him. The market rate will in all likelihood go up over the next 3 years, so he can always try to take advantage of that. At age 36 he could still seek a multi-year deal. At age 37,he will in all likelihood get a 1 year deal and for much less money. I believe adding him would give us depth in case Richards takes longer to recover and in case Wilson struggles. Of he's willing to take a realistic rate for his services for a chance to play on a playoff caliber team close to his home, he should sign with us.