• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Friends of Percy Squint

pattimelt

I miss the old days when Percy and AOA would talk about the movie industry. On one hand, there's a guy who loves nearly every movie he sees and on the other, there was someone who had a much more critical approach to put it lightly. What I would do to relive one of those "When will you see" threads.

It's good to see you back, your well being will be in thoughts.

I stopped posting the 'When Will You See' threads when he stopped making comments in them.  I grew to feel that they needed to go together.  He was always witty and funny.

I hope his family finds peace during this difficult time.

So sorry to hear this --

I have read this thread from start to finish.

I can think of no greater tribute to Percy than this thread -- the AW, com community is truly amazing.

I was there at the Fanfest a few years back when Percy reconnected with his former softball teammate from years back -- I remember them talking about it -- they hadn't seen each other in ten years or something like that and then reconnected like they just played a game last week.

RIP to Percy. Prayers out to all the AW.com family.

You folks are the best of the best.

No Yankees or Red Sox received any MVP votes for the first time. Made me think of Percy. He would be proud

. That is awesome. Just last year trout was left off some assholes ballot even though it had ten spots. He had three Boston players on his ballot and no Trout. Percy and I agreed that was a bullshit ballot.

Hey guys-

Just wanted to check in a bit, it's been a while, yes? First of all, my apologies for not posting of late. I had been busy with work (2 jobs) and caregiver duties for my mother, who passed away in April, moving, and other stuff going on. These were also the main reasons why I didn't make it out to spring training this year. I hated that.

The medical stuff is very recent. Here's the deal, long story shortened- last Friday, shortness of breath. Went to 19-inning game against the putrid stinking white flag tossing bottomfeeding Chowds on Saturday. While walking from stadium to car after, got winded and had to stop twice. Put in a call to my doc Sunday. Saw him Monday, he sent me to hospital. They started running tests. Tuesday, the doc came in and told me I have lung cancer "somewhat advanced." He looked sad. Said it's 7 centimeters, upper left lung, pushing down on bronchial tubes which partially collapsed the lung, causing the shortness of breath. Said they will know more after the biopsy on Wednesday. That was the worst day of my life until Thursday. He came in and told me stage 3, not operable, into lymph nodes. He also said if aggressive chemotherapy and radiation are successful, it would give me a year/year and a half to live. Not sure how to describe what it was like to hear that. Friday, they ran 2 more tests, and finally sent me home.

I will be very honest with you- I think I'm still in shock. I have very, very raw emotions. I have chosen not to censor them. So the tears and snot have been flowing rather freely. I am very scared. I'm scared of dying, the treatment, not getting treatment, you name it. I'm grieving the loss of my health, also known as feeling sorry for myself. I'm told this is a normal reaction for anyone in my shoes. I wouldn't know.

I've cried more this last week than the last 10 years. The biggest reason for it is the tremendous outpouring of love and support that has come my way. I have a vast network of friends who are absolutely unbelievable. A few of them have been through cancer treatments, and will be holding my hand when I start next week. Others have visited me, brought me stuff, and fed me. I got prayers flyin' my way from Arizona, Nevada, Montana, Tennessee, New York, etc. I am loved and cared about, in a very big way, it seems. I can feel it. Which brings me to you guys...

I was fortunate to discover AW some years ago. And through games, fanfests, spring training, etc., I've been able to meet many of you. From the mondo strikeout game with Blarg, playing cards with Brandon, winning my Oppo Taco shirt, playing softball, watching Adam wielding the broom as he led the conga line at Throwbacks after we swept the stinking Red Sux, composing Squintfest threads and film reviews, to the infamous (but hilarious) exchange with Arte, etc etc. I have excellent memories that will last the rest of my life, however long that is.

Sometime during last week, I was made aware of this thread. A good friend read some of it to me in the hospital. And wouldn't ya know, I started cryin yet again. It blows me away that you guys care this much for just another diehard Halos fan you don't know that closely. I am humbled and blessed. You guys have touched my heart. THIS is what AW does best, at least in my experience.

I'm off for 4-5 days, then the "ugly stuff" starts. Yup, I'm pretty scared, but I'll do it anyway. I'll try to post updates if possible. For now, keep them prayers coming, and let me thank all of you once again from every part of my heart (especially Eric, Patti, Mancini, AO, Derek, and Tank, who reached out). AW frickin rocks. And how bout my beloved Halos right about now? First place, bitches...

Love you guys,

-Mike

PS- May as well throw in some humor- Besides the 2 main docs who consulted with me, there was a 3rd doc who did the actual work- draining lung fluid, the biopsy, and installing the Porta-Cath. This guy was a little weird, so I liked him. During the biopsy, I was lying face down on the table. After it was done, the nurse said I need to slide over to the gurney for transport back to my room. Being a smartass, I said "Nah, I'll just sleep right here". Then I heard the doc say "You go right ahead. I'll shove this proctoscope so far up your ass, you won't know weather to sh*t or go blind. Sweet dreams". It was only time I busted up laughing last week. Just thought I'd throw that in.

I miss this guy! :(

• 1 year later...

I just got back from SPT.

I also need to be honest. I looked for a hat like Percy's before I left. Just thought it would be cool to do as I enjoyed his posts on here and it would have been my first time out there in AZ on that side of the diamond. I don't recall if I ever met him personally? Maybe, at a softball game. He was a good dude on here and I enjoyed reading his responses to threads. It was kind of hard to explain how it came about? I just started thinking about him out of the blue 3 weeks ago and went on a mad rush shopping/looking for it! I was even prepared to buy one and put the Halo "A" on it. Unfortunately, I couldn't even find one to build my own... Yeah, I even went through a couple 99cent stores in Garden Grove and some asian markets.

I still don't know how or why? I think back now and maybe he was checking in with Slappy who used be SO CAL HALO FAN before we switched up the site here a few years ago.

Be Well Percy and Thanks!! If that was your way of saying having a great time and enjoy it!

And Yeah! I had a great time~

Edited by SlappyUtilityGuy

I miss him. Cancer is a POS.

Damn, D. A couple days ago I was cleaning out a bunch of emails, pics, etc from my PC and came across a pic of Percy I took of him as we both stood outside the main entrance to Big A before the first home game following Adenhart's death. Everyone took a moment to just look at the tributes fans had left as they walked into the stadium. Looking back, I don't even remember saying a word to him. We just walked up to each other with that blank stare everyone had at the time and slowly shook our heads.

I looked through some old threads and came across this ( for those who didn't know him, this will show in a small way the man we all miss) :

http://www.angelswin-forum.com/forums/topic/880-squintfest-2013/?hl=watch

Damn, D. A couple days ago I was cleaning out a bunch of emails, pics, etc from my PC and came across a pic of Percy I took of him as we both stood outside the main entrance to Big A before the first home game following Adenhart's death. Everyone took a moment to just look at the tributes fans had left as they walked into the stadium. Looking back, I don't even remember saying a word to him. We just walked up to each other with that blank stare everyone had at the time and slowly shook our heads.

I looked through some old threads and came across this ( for those who didn't know him, this will show in a small way the man we all miss) :

http://www.angelswin-forum.com/forums/topic/880-squintfest-2013/?hl=watch

Holy sh!t...I remember that thread...Great post man...crazy how this community enjoys the highs of fan fests and and get togethers and also endures the loss of players and board members...makes you appreciate the board and all that post on it... 

Edited by Wallerrrr