• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bumgarner or Kershaw?

Not sure you can go wrong with either one. Amazing performance by Bumgarner this postseason...though you have to wonder how this may effect him in 2016. Something like 270 innings this year, and throwing 70 high pressure pitches 2 days after 117 some odd pitches. If he does have arm issues next year, I would expect to see that referenced quite a bit.

Kershaw everyday and twice on Sunday.

Even though he struggles in October, thus putting the Raviners in a tough spot?   Being the best pitcher in MLB the past 3 regular seasons doesn't do much good when he struggles in the post-season.

Although the post-season work is still a bit of a small sample size.

Bumgarner has become not far off from being pretty much elite during the season, with back-to-back sub 3.00 ERAs and sub 1.10 WHIPs. 

Red did bring up a good point about the 270 total innings for April-October, which pitchers rarely do anymore.

Will there be any lingering after effects from that in 2015 and beyond?

Is his delivery considered free and easy enough?

I don't even know how many years one has to go back, to when the most recent pitcher threw 70 pitches on just 2 days rest in the post-season after throwing close to 120 pitches.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Even though he struggles in October, thus putting the Raviners in a tough spot?   Being the best pitcher in MLB the past 3 regular seasons doesn't do much good when he struggles in the post-season.

Although the post-season work is still a bit of a small sample size.

And there it is, the sample size argument.  

Now lets hear your theory about how the postseason is just dependent upon luck.  

Actually, Bumgarner's numbers were down from last year. His era was over a run higher than Kershaw's.

What's really scary is that Kershaw is getting better

I'd be surprised if kershaw has a better season than he did this year, I think 2014 was his peak

I'd take bumgarner, he may not have the best "stuff" but he has great control and off the charts makeup

tim lincecum. man, i wonder how that guy feels about how his career path has gone. has to feel beyond incredible to have three WS rings, but knowing that you're not contributing much to it has got to grind away on his confidence (or what little may be left of it). what happened to him? how did he lose his dominance?

I'd be surprised if kershaw has a better season than he did this year, I think 2014 was his peak

I'd take bumgarner, he may not have the best "stuff" but he has great control and off the charts makeup

to have a better season he'd have to come back as Bob Gibson

Making the playoffs in the 1st place is more important so I'll take Kershaw. Not denying how amazing Bumgarner has been in the playoffs but Kershaw is on a whole different level of dominance in the regular season. 

I will say that Bumgarner is a lot closer to Kershaw now if this velocity spike is legit. He was pumping 93-94 in the playoffs after being a 91-92 mph guy previously. 

3 years dominance versus 3 games... are we really having this discussion? 

i think you know my answer

It's more than 3 games, it's 59.2 post-season innings since he shut out Detroit for 7 innings in the 2012 WS.

In those innings:  0.90 ERA and 0.65 WHIP

In 88.1 career post-season innings:  2.14 ERA and 0.88 WHIP

Not since Sandy Koufax has any lefty pitcher dominated post-season play like Bumgarner has. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

Regular season is meaningless. Just ask the Angels how much having the best record in baseball and all their great regular season stats meant in the playoffs...not a damn thing. Give me the guy who gets it done in Oct when it matters, not the guy who gets it done in May and folds like a deck of cards when the pressure is on