• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2014 ASG Selection Thread

It is a mixed bag.  If you are more popular like the Dodgers or Kings you end up with all the gang banger fans and thugs.  Plus all the fairweather fans.

Angels have been a pretty shitty team over the last four years so a lot of the reputation they earned in the previous decade was lost.

More than anything I think it is because Richards is young and having a breakout season rather than being a consistent star.  Aybar is a little bit more of a joke but you are really hamstrung by Jeter, who by WAR is the second worst SS in the AL.

It's really just a function of population dynamics, geography, and time zones. If you live anywhere east of the Rocky Mountains, over half of the Angels' games end around midnight or 1AM (I'm factoring in the away games in Oakland and Seattle too). If you factor in the large population of Florida, along with the "Megalopolis" of the D.C. to Boston portion of the east coast, there's just a huge chunk of the population that are in bed before most of the Angels' games end. Exposure creates popularity, and the Angels, simply because of geography and not because of intentional bias, don't get enough of it.

Not making the post season year after year doesn't help.

It's really just a function of population dynamics, geography, and time zones. If you live anywhere east of the Rocky Mountains, over half of the Angels' games end around midnight or 1AM (I'm factoring in the away games in Oakland and Seattle too). If you factor in the large population of Florida, along with the "Megalopolis" of the D.C. to Boston portion of the east coast, there's just a huge chunk of the population that are in bed before most of the Angels' games end. Exposure creates popularity, and the Angels, simply because of geography and not because of intentional bias, don't get enough of it.

The fan vote is what it is, and I think it wasn't bad this season. The coach/player vote is what's disappointing. It's just odd to me that a high profile team like this with the record it has only gets 1 guy in. It'd be nice to have guys like Aybar and Richards recognized, and they still might be, but in the grand scheme of things the extra time off May be more beneficial.

It is a mixed bag.  If you are more popular like the Dodgers or Kings you end up with all the gang banger fans and thugs.  Plus all the fairweather fans.

Angels have been a pretty shitty team over the last four years so a lot of the reputation they earned in the previous decade was lost.

More than anything I think it is because Richards is young and having a breakout season rather than being a consistent star.  Aybar is a little bit more of a joke but you are really hamstrung by Jeter, who by WAR is the second worst SS in the AL.

Aybar was hamstrung by the lack of interest from his fans. He wasn't even close.

SHORTSTOP

1. Derek Jeter, Yankees: 2,924,686

2. Alexei Ramirez, White Sox: 2,325,527

3. J.J. Hardy, Orioles: 1,534,547

4. Jose Reyes, Blue Jays: 1,008,063

5. Jed Lowrie, A's: 732,766

This is a big part of it too. I'm sure there are a ton of fans who will look at the Final Vote ballot, and say to themselves, "Who the hell is Garret Richards?" Now, if Richards wins 15-20 games for the next three years that will change.

As for Aybar, I feel bad for him, but I don't think he was "snubbed". Jeter is getting the "Career Achievement" vote, which I'm cool with. And Ramirez is having a slightly better season than Aybar offensively, IMO. Their OPS is almost identical, and Ramirez has shown a bit more power (8 HRs) and speed (14 SBs). I'd love to see Aybar make it, but Ramirez over Aybar isn't a bad choice.

Some random guys are selected.   Daniel Murphy and Charlie Blackmon?    Josh Harrison?   Wacky.

The 2002 Angels had one All Star.  Garret Anderson.  I don't like some of the rules or choices either, but in the end, I was much happier to see Tim Salmon hoist the World Series trophy than to be named the All Star team.

I think Richards still has a good chance at making the team.  Sale will probably win the vote, but it seems that a pitcher or two always gets replaced.

I would have loved to see Aybar make it, but Alexei Ramirez is having a solid year. You could make a pretty compelling argument for either one of them, so I'm not really bothered by Aybar being the odd man out. Richards, on the other hand, got screwed. He's pretty easily been a top five starter in the AL this year, and none of the other SPs that made it deserve the "Respect the Career" treatment.

Their numbers look similar but Aybar has clearly had the better year.

Aybar: .278/.315/.414  (Aybar actually leads all AL SS in slugging and ops)

Ramirez: .286/.320/.408

Similar but their road splits tell a different story.

Aybar: .313/.345/.494

Ramirez: .246/.277/.353   ...........He's been pretty bad away from that launching pad.

Defensive stats (fangraphs)

Aybar: 10.5

Ramarez:  2.0

Overall Aybar is at 2.5 fWAR and Ramirez is at 1.6 fWAR.

Then there is the fact the Aybar is on a very good team while Ramirez is on a bad one.

Both are much more deserving the Jeter and his lifetime achievement award BS.

I don't mean to be a dick, but isn't it our fault these guys aren't starting because our fan base didn't vote enough?

to some degree although some of it is gamesmanship.  Like Bautista campaigning for himself or Eric Sogaard winning the face of mlb.  It's all a manipulation.  

Sure the fans could have done better, but if the only way that a deserving halo gets in is thru fan voting is just lame.  

The fans voted Jeter.  It's who they want to see supposedly.  But Alexei making it over Aybar is just weak when the shitty white sox already have Abreu going.  

Why does Farrell need Glen Perkins when he could have had Chris Sale?  

It's just an exercise in making jerk sauce.  

I don't mean to be a dick, but isn't it our fault these guys aren't starting because our fan base didn't vote enough?

The people that are trying to make a case for Aybar had their opportunity to do so by voting since April 20th. They didn't. The MLB fanbase voted for Alexei Ramirez.

SHORTSTOP

1. Derek Jeter, Yankees: 2,924,686

2. Alexei Ramirez, White Sox: 2,325,527

5. Jed Lowrie, Athletics: 732,766

The people that are trying to make a case for Aybar had their opportunity to do so by voting since April 20th. They didn't. The MLB fanbase voted for Alexei Ramirez.

SHORTSTOP

1. Derek Jeter, Yankees: 2,924,686

2. Alexei Ramirez, White Sox: 2,325,527

5. Jed Lowrie, Athletics: 732,766

The fans voted in Jeter. The players/John Farrell still had the opportunity to choose Aybar.

The fans voted in Jeter. The players/John Farrell still had the opportunity to choose Aybar.

The fans made it a no-brainer decision. Aybar has zero support east of Anaheim. There might be more Jeter fans on the west coast than Aybar fans, Jed Lowrie had more votes. I just don't understand why we continue to vote like a small market team. 

Honest question, are the Angels that unpopular around the league?

Were the Yankees popular when they outbid every big free agent for a few seasons in a row?  The Angels lost the small guy charm, and have become what some around the country hate.  We have become the Yankees, Heat, Red Wings.  Trying to buy a championship.  

The fans made it a no-brainer decision. Aybar has zero support east of Anaheim. There might be more Jeter fans on the west coast than Aybar fans, Jed Lowrie had more votes. I just don't understand why we continue to vote like a small market team. 

There may be more Jeter fans among Angels ownership/management.  How many paintings has Aybar gotten?

Were the Yankees popular when they outbid every big free agent for a few seasons in a row? The Angels lost the small guy charm, and have become what some around the country hate. We have become the Yankees, Heat, Red Wings. Trying to buy a championship.

the ironic thing is, the guys we didn't buy are the ones carrying the team

this may upset a few apple carts, but i've never voted for any allstar participant. i really couldn't give a shit about that, and i check on baseball every day of the season. if that makes me "casual", then guilty as charged. 

I voted when I was 10.