• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ebola "out of control" in West Africa/Texas Maybe Cleveland?

the disease is not overhyped, the chance of it spreading in the US right now is way way way overhyped.  I work in public health and we have people calling us non stop about what they can do to prevent from getting the disease.  We basically tell them just live your life.  There is no threat.  

I'm not a doctor, but if I know anything about reasonable prognoses of Ebola victims (and I don't) it doesn't seem like it's incredibly difficult to treat. If you keep the body hydrated and go hard after the symptoms it seems to be enough to prevent cytokine storm and gives to body time to fight it. This disease isn't unbeatable. The human body is more than capable of kicking this thing out. It just needs a little help existing while it takes the time to do so.

Dr. Bruce Ribner, the director of the infectious disease unit at Emory University, when the first two victims were brought back and treated, said:

There may be some recovery time because this is a fairly devastating disease, but we would anticipate that in general most patients, if they have not had any substantial organ damage, will make a full recovery

Looks like he was right.

It is not overhyped in Africa, but not really dangerous here.  It is remarkable how much worry and fanatic stress it did cause here though.

I think while overhyped, it is still dangerous here.  The good thing about this disease, so far is containment.  You know who had it, either those that came from West Africa, or those treating those people.  If it ever gets out of that containment, then that's where the problems would happen.  So it's important to still be vigilant to keep it contained.  Luckily, it won't affect almost all of us.  It's up to TSA, Homeland Security, Immigration.  You know, the government.  So we are screwed.

Every year the media needs to go overboard with the latest health scare.

2014: Year of the Ebola Virus

I remember being on a cruise that couldn't port in Mexico because of the swine flu. Cruises suck in general but repeatedly doing circles in the Pacific made me want to jump ship.

U.S. takes more steps to guard against new Ebola cases

http://www.latimes.com/world/africa/la-na-us-ebola-monitoring-travelers-20141022-story.html

Pressed to tighten border screening for travelers potentially exposed to Ebola, federal health officials took more steps Wednesday to monitor people coming into the United States from the three West African countries at the center of the outbreak.

Starting Monday, travelers who were in Liberia, Sierra Leone or Guinea will be required to take their temperature daily and report to local health officials in the U.S. for three weeks, the maximum period after exposure to Ebola in which symptoms can appear.

i think a positive out of this is that it made our healthcare providers assess where they were in regards to how to treat something like this. nothing wrong with that.

i think it also made us be a bit more vigilant. nothing wrong with that, either. 

as far as how the media reacted to this, i'd like to believe that they were trying to raise public awareness and to keep our eyes open. but the media's credibility in serving the public good disappeared a long, long time ago, so their overreaction shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Yeah, DWB is the worst. Why are they even trying to help people? Don't they realize I don't care about other people? Now they're gonna get Ebola and get transported back to the US and I'm gonna have to spend time posting on internet message boards convincing people that Ebola is super dangerous and is gonna kill us all. And if I do that I won't have time to post every time someone sells some stock they own. I only have two hands. Does DWB even care about that?