• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

One U.S. Soldier traded for FIVE high ranking Taliban prisoners

Am I missing something here? Is this as stunningly stupid of a move as it sounds? Conventional wisdom has always been that negotiating with terrorists invites more terrorism.

The Taliban must have agreed to play nice when we leave Afghanistan.

Looking forward to the presser when the US and the Taliban push the "reset" button.

Am I missing something here? Is this as stunningly stupid of a move as it sounds? Conventional wisdom has always been that negotiating with terrorists invites more terrorism.

The Taliban must have agreed to play nice when we leave Afghanistan.

Looking forward to the presser when the US and the Taliban push the "reset" button.

Would you view it as a stupid move if it were your kid being released?

Sounds like this guy was a deserter and was probably aiding the Taliban. The dude's family hasn't even been able to talk to him yet. My guess is because the US is interrogating him.

I was gonna say, I could have sworn this guy deserted his post b/c he changed his mind re: the war. I'm glad there are no more POWs, but it wasnt like this guy was snatched during a patrol or during combat.

Next question is whether or not the Taliban had Homeland in their Netflix queue.

Sounds like this guy was a deserter and was probably aiding the Taliban.  The dude's family hasn't even been able to talk to him yet.  My guess is because the US is interrogating him.

People involved have hinted at a medical issue being the reason that the talks intensified. Whether or not that's true is obviously questionable, and if it is true, the severity/urgency would also be questionable. It seems to match up well with him being in a hospital though. Although, I'm guessing they'd want to observe anybody coming back from five years of captivity for a day or two.

former student of mine is a marine. he referred to this soldier as a traitor.

I've heard stuff about him being a deserter. Not sure how accurate that is as the MSM isn't reporting anything like that. If true this negotiation is really bad.

"We were at OP Mest, Paktika Province, Afghanistan. It was a small outpost where B Co 1-501st INF (Airbone) ran operations out of, just an Infantry platoon and ANA counterparts there. The place was an Afghan graveyard. Bergdahl had been acting a little strange, telling people he wanted to "walk the earth" and kept a little journal talking about how he was meant for better things. No one thought anything about it. He was a little “out there”. Next morning he's gone. We search everywhere, and can't find him. He left his weapon, his kit, and other sensitive items. He only took some water, a compass and a knife. We find some afghan kids shortly after who saw an american walking north asking about where the taliban are. We get hits on our voice intercepter that Taliban has him, and we were close. We come to realize the kid deserted his post, snuck out of camp and sought out Taliban… to join them. We were in a defensive position at OP Mest, where your focus is to keep people out. He knew where the blind spots were to slip out and that's what he did. It was supposed to be a 4-day mission but turned into several months of active searching. Everyone was spun up to find this guy. News outlets all over the country were putting out false information. It was hard to see, especially when we knew the truth about what happened and we lost good men trying to find him. PFC Matthew Michael Martinek, Staff Sgt. Kurt Robert Curtiss, SSG Clayton Bowen, PFC Morris Walker, SSG Michael Murphrey, 2LT Darryn Andrews, were all KIA from our unit who died looking for Bergdahl. Many others from various units were wounded or killed while actively looking for Bergdahl. Fighting Increased. IEDs and enemy ambushes increased. The Taliban knew that we were looking for him in high numbers and our movements were predictable. Because of Bergdahl, more men were out in danger, and more attacks on friendly camps and positions were conducted while we were out looking for him. His actions impacted the region more than anyone wants to admit. There is also no way to know what he told the Taliban: Our movements, locations, tactics, weak points on vehicles and other things for the enemy to exploit are just a few possibilities. The Government knows full well that he deserted. It looks bad and is a good propaganda piece for the Taliban. They refuse to acknowledge it. Hell they even promoted him to Sergeant which makes me sick. I feel for his family who only want their son/brother back. They don’t know the truth, or refuse to acknowledge it as well. What he did affected his family and his whole town back home, who don’t know the truth. Either way what matters is that good men died because of him. He has been lying on all those Taliban videos about everything since his “capture”. If he ever returns,

Not saying this is the way it happened but what one of the guys in his outfit says happened. 

Edited by TennAngelsFan

The only way I'm ok with this, is if the Talibananas were tagged-and-released.  I can't imagine the Govt./Military signing-off on this deal (especially if the POW is as worthless as he's being described), unless they have a longer-range plan.

Of course, our Govt./Military is the same Corporation that propped these fools up in the first place..

After 12 years in prison the guys they released have no real value. All of their information and contacts have long since expired so using them as trading chips for a guy that has been inside the Taliban for five years is far more valuable.