• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

FREE GRANT GREEN!

Chuck

Green needs a full season at SLC.....I thought he would make the team but looks like Mike S. and the powers that be knew something when they went with McDonald.

vet leadership, excellent D in all infield positions.......can sac bunt a guy along.......good move with McDonald......I can see him being a Halos (or MLB) coach in the future.

there is no way Green stays a full season at SLC.

Green showed in his call up last season that he has the capability of hitting major league pitching. He hit .280 while with the Angels. On top of which, his minor league numbers have been spectacular and they aren't fueled by any one category. He contributes across the board and maintained a very good LD%.

If you give him everyday AB's at the major league level, by the end of the year I think he and Howie Kendrick's numbers will be very similar.

As far as calling that trade a win, if you consider at the very least, the Angels got rid of 4 million in salary and in return received a 23 year old SS in AAA that is a former 1st rounder and sat on multiple top 100 prospect lists, then it's clearly a win.

Callaspo gave the Angels no value that Freese or Stewart can't surpass. He held no value that Green won't surpass once trusted with an everyday job.

Green is a AAAA superstar until he proves otherwise. MLB has been littered with them. However, he's shown an uncanny ability this season to hit with runners in scoring position which has been the biggest, or second biggest, problem this season. They've been bringing up every bullpen arm possible to try to address the other huge problem, so I don't understand why they haven't brought up a guy who's been coming through in the clutch night after night to at least see if he can help in that area.

Well the Angels have started Grant Green in LF in 7 straight games.

I'm pretty sure he's coming up tomorrow. It's not like they want Jimmy Swift to get more PT at SS. 

Green had been doing very well from the reports I've received at SS. The move to LF is not only to make Green a better utility player, but to get his bat in our lineup ASAP since Shuck has been absolute poo at the plate. 

LMAO

I'm slipping. Can't take credit for "Free such and such" anyway. Jim Rome coined "Free Ron Harper " back when he was wasting away on the Clippers in the mid 1990s. "Free Ron Harper, and sell that basketball team." Too bad Mr. Racist didn't listen to Rome back then.

Mr Racist? Oh come on AO that is well below your level of glossing. If the guy was Mr Sterling before he has to be Mr Pig Iron now.

I'm really not sure how the Callaspo trade is a big win for Dipoto. I be willing to bet the A's would make that trade again.

Green has upside ... but at what level is still undetermined.

Wasn't Callaspo making 4 mill a year.........thats enough upside for me, plus we got Green in return. Great trade :)

Green needs a full season at SLC.....I thought he would make the team but looks like Mike S. and the powers that be knew something when they went with McDonald.

vet leadership, excellent D in all infield positions.......can sac bunt a guy along.......good move with McDonald......I can see him being a Halos (or MLB) coach in the future.

This would be Green's third full season at AAA.

He played 125 games there in 2012, 93 games there in 2013, and 25 games there so far this year. 

In 2012, in Sacramento….he hit .296 with a .796 OPS.

In 2013, in Sacramento and in SLC combined… he hit .326 with a .872 OPS.

In 2014, in SLC he's hit .365 with a .941 OPS.

He has nothing left to learn in the minors.

They went with Stewart over Green, not McDonald. Stewart can play 1st, McDonald and Green cannot.

In 40 games last year with us at 2B, he had 2 errors in 152 chances, for a .987 fielding pct.

He's passable in the minors at 2B and 3B, with fpct in the .960's range. At SS, he's below average, but that's why they've got McDonald. In the OF, he's been perfect.

I honestly feel though that he's going to get games in Anaheim all over the field. 

When he starts at 2B, Kendrick can play the OF, especially when CJ starts on the mound. When he starts at 3B, Freese can DH with Ibanez in LF. When he starts in LF, Shuck sits. When he starts as the DH, Ibanez can play the field or be on the bench.

He should play immediately against all lefties, whom he's killing in SLC. He's really Stewart's replacement going forward, except if they need a guy at 1st when Pujols DH's, it's not going to be Green, more likely Green would play 2nd and Howie would play 1st, or Ibanez plays 1st.

When Calhoun returns, it's less of an issue, but Green is a solid right handed option to figure into the mix, and he'll be fine in the OF, 2B, and 3B, and even as a RH platoon DH. Ibanez is 1 for 20 against lefties and Shuck is 1 for 17.

He has nothing left to learn against SLC pitching and should be up playing 3-4 days a week.

Edited by Hubs

• 2 weeks later...

Green is not 100%, hence not playing.

Then why have him taking up a slot? This team is fighting hard just to stay around .500, until reinforcements come from the DL.

Navarro had a nice game today..Cron is doing OK and could bust out at any time....If Green isn't able to play, they need to get someone up here that can.

Then why have him taking up a slot? This team is fighting hard just to stay around .500, until reinforcements come from the DL.

Navarro had a nice game today..Cron is doing OK and could bust out at any time....If Green isn't able to play, they need to get someone up here that can.

Green can't return to Salt Lake, he doesn't have enough frequent flyer miles yet.

Maybe because Jimenez was just sent down and they can't recall him for a few days?   I know it's popular to question every Angels decision but they needed a LFer and instead of bringing back Boesch or Shuck, they brought up Navarro.  It's hard to argue they aren't giving other guys a chance.