• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Game of Thrones

Just now, AngelsLakersFan said:

Of all the things to complain about from the show recently...

for the record, i wasnt the one complaining, i just saw enough people who were to comment on it.
This final season has so many issues to date, between terrible cinematography to Starbucks cups and i wont even go down the storyline issues... its just so damned rushed even after 2 freaking years. 

6 minutes ago, floplag said:

for the record, i wasnt the one complaining, i just saw enough people who were to comment on it.
This final season has so many issues to date, between terrible cinematography to Starbucks cups and i wont even go down the storyline issues... its just so damned rushed even after 2 freaking years. 

I wish the only things we had to complain about were starbucks cups and a lack of POC.

Spoiler

For the record, I've been waiting for Messandaie to die since season 5. She has long been the key to unlocking Danny's real Targarian rage. She was doomed this season for sure. The real tragedy was that she was the hottest girl on the show. 

5 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

They probably should have done this over 10 episodes.  Including the long ones. 

I never understood why they thought they could wrap the story up in 13 episodes. I always assumed the end of the series would be 'The Long Night' and it would last at least an entire season. That 'The long night' was only just as long as any other night and lasted just one episode goes a long way to explaining the lack of episodes. I really think the answer is simply that D&D were just over it. They spent more than a decade on the project and they just want to move on. They aren't the most talented guys and without the passion they can't deliver.

4 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I wish the only things we had to complain about were starbucks cups and a lack of POC.

Reveal hidden contents

For the record, I've been waiting for Messandaie to die since season 5. She has long been the key to unlocking Danny's real Targarian rage. She was doomed this season for sure. The real tragedy was that she was the hottest girl on the show. 

I agree, that was the only way to illicit such response if thats where they were going, and it had to come now to make it makes sense.   

21 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I never understood why they thought they could wrap the story up in 13 episodes. I always assumed the end of the series would be 'The Long Night' and it would last at least an entire season. That 'The long night' was only just as long as any other night and lasted just one episode goes a long way to explaining the lack of episodes. I really think the answer is simply that D&D were just over it. They spent more than a decade on the project and they just want to move on. They aren't the most talented guys and without the passion they can't deliver.

I don’t think it’s a lack of passion.  I just think from a qualitative perspective they aren’t George RR Martin (very few are).  It’s a big complicated story with lots of characters and it’s a tough thing to wrap up.  I think people are kind of getting carried away with some of the criticisms.  I agree that there are some legitimate weaknesses in the story telling the last couple of seasons.  But there’s also a lot of nit picking.  Not saying that about you or anyone else here specifically.  But generally from the complaints that I’ve read.  For me, last night was a good episode.  I had two major issues with it.  But I also thought it had a few of the better scenes we’ve seen this season.  

Spoiler

The two parts I had problems with were the way they took out the dragon and the scene at the walls of kings landing.  The way they killed off the dragon felt cheap and a forced means of balancing the playing field between Cersei’s forces and Dany’s.  I did not like it. 

At the wall the whole thing was just silly.  Cersei literally just tried to give Bronn a castle and metric shit ton of gold to kill Tyrion.  Here she has him absolutely dead to rights and doesn’t do shit.  Never mind that she has Dany completely exposed and vulnerable right in front of her.  This shit never happens in George RR Martins story. It’s never that contrived.  Not only is it completely out character for Cersei.  It’s also dumb that Dany and Tyrion would expose themselves like this.  They never would otherwise with Martin telling the story.  The show runners surely know this, and they did it anyway.  Not great. 

I did think some of the background machinations scenes were excellent.  Particularly the one with Varys and Tyrion and the Sansa scenes.  I think Jamie is finally ready to kill Cersei, and that’s cool.  And I also like that Jon remains Ned Starks son.  Hopelessly dumb about honor and honesty.  I’m excited despite some of the weak stuff about the last two.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

3 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I don’t think it’s a lack of passion.  I just think from a qualitative perspective they aren’t George RR Martin (very few are).  It’s a big complicated story with lots of characters and it’s a tough thing to wrap up.  I think people are kind of getting carried away with some of the criticisms.  I agree that there are some legitimate weaknesses in the story telling the last couple of seasons.  But there’s also a lot of nit picking.  Not saying that about you or anyone else here specifically.  But generally from the complaints that I’ve read.  For me, last night was a good episode.  I had two major issues with it.  But I also thought it had a few of the better scenes we’ve seen this season.  

Hide contents

The two parts I had problems with were the way they took out the dragon and the scene at the walls of kings landing.  The way they killed off the dragon felt cheap and a forced means of balancing the playing field between Cersei’s forces and Dany’s.  I did not like it. 

At the wall the whole thing was just silly.  Cersei literally just tried to give Bronn a castle and metric shit ton of gold to kill Tyrion.  Here she has him absolutely dead to rights and doesn’t do shit.  Never mind that she has Dany completely exposed and vulnerable right in front of her.  This shit never happens in George RR Martins story. It’s never that contrived.  Not only is it completely out character for Cersei.  It’s also dumb that Dany and Tyrion would expose themselves like this.  They never would otherwise with Martin telling the story.  The show runners surely know this, and they did it anyway.  Not great. 

I did think some of the background machinations scenes were excellent.  Particularly the one with Varys and Tyrion and the Sansa scenes.  I think Jamie is finally ready to kill Cersei, and that’s cool.  And I also like that Jon remains Ned Starks son.  Hopelessly dumb about honor and honesty.  I’m excited despite some of the weak stuff about the last two.  

Maybe its a lack of talent and a lack of passion? There is enough built up character, backstory and lore to have filled up several seasons but they didn't want to. They put so much time and effort into the spectacle but skip over things like Ghost. I do agree that a lot of it is nit picking but there has been so much to nit pick the last few seasons. On my rewatch of the series one thing that stands out is, these characters don't sound like the same characters anymore. Their actions seem to serve the plot not the character, and we're just jumping from plot point to plot point now. It's the same show but the core has been hollowed out.

There is still plenty to love... and I did enjoy this episode, there is something to be said about the bad parts spoiling the good. Nit picks from the first four seasons are easy to forgive because the rest is so good, nit picks now are magnified because they are on the back of serious, non-nit-picky, problems.

5 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Not sure how I feel about it tonight.  Spectacular visually.  I think thematically and all that it makes sense. 

the turn to get here was done too quickly. 

This is what happens when HBO wants to do three more years and the show-runners want to start the next Star Wars trilogy.

They rushed it

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

All I know is...

Hide contents

The Starks and Tyrion are going to pimp slap the remaining dragon and its queen in the final episode. (Well at least I hope)

Spoiler

Ridiculous if they do that imo.  They already screwed up having one die stupidly.  They just proved (as is described in the actual books) that nothing else matters if you have Dragons.  The Targaryens conquered Westeros with them.  Dany just raped everything with one.  They need to commit to that.  The whole thing with the one shot kill last week imo is one of the most serious errors that they’ve made.   

Its fine that the dragons are like this.  That’s part of the story.  Commit to that. 

I agree that the desire to rush to the finish line has hurt the overall story.

Spoiler

Everyone seems to have forgotten the past seasons...hell, they killed off the main character at the end of Season 1 and turned weddings into massacres. A gradual portrayal of Daenerys turning into the Mad Queen wouldn't seem to have come out of left field. They could have spent this season dealing with the white walkers while building on the hints they've dropped over the years (talking about burning cities to the ground on multiple occasions, burning people alive). Instead you go from Daenerys riding to the rescue and saving Westeros from the White Walkers to arguably being worse than the Night King in 2 episodes. The story will end the same, it just feels rushed and instead you get the plot and time constraints driving massive character changes.

Overall though...last night's episode, viewed by itself, was pretty amazing. You can quibble about a few things like who gives a shit about Euron or why did Jamie and Cersei get to die in each others arms, but it was jaw dropping at times...and while the bells were ringing we all sat there hoping, just like Jon and Tyrion...hoping...only to let out a small gasp when the inevitable happened and she said fuck it.

Oh...and right now...how many people who named their little girls Daenerys or Khalessi are going...ummmm....