• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Vlad throwing out the first pitch tonight

Chimi

I'd wear the Vlad shirt that the Angels gave away at a Sunday game in 2004 - if it still fit!

I wish I were there in person to see the first pitch, not to mention the game that follows, but I'll make do with watching from my living room with my girls, who are equally antsy for baseball to start.  Vlad is one of my daughter's favorite Angels, even though she was only two years old when he left.  She's got taste!

Seriously, I looking forward to seeing Vlad.  It's one of the great moments in Angels baseball when he singled off Papelbon in the 2009 Red Sox beatdown to win the final playoff game against them.  Thinking about it, that was our most recent great moment.  It was priceless.

"The pitch to vlad and its lined into center field it falls in front of ellsbury... figgins scores!  here comes bobby abreu to score!  and the angels have rallied off of jonathan papelbon to take the lead in the 9th inning!  Vlad Gurerro gets the clutch hit!"

I got so many chills just typing that.  I'm pretty sure I have the sound bite somewhere on my PC at home. RIP Rory!

Edited by Streetkid

BTW I've been very vocal against the Angels retiring Salmon's number. But I'd love to see them retire Vlad's number.

Yes, it's illogical when you compare stats and tenures but watching Vlad was pretty damn electrifying and I always felt he could carry the Angels on his gimpy back and legs. Salmon was just one of the guys in the lineup... But I always had excitement and anticipation for when Vlad came to the plate.

Great guy who probably could have played a year or two longer if luck had gone his way.

I'd retire Salmon's number before Vlad's -- only reason I would not retire both is that because pretty soon you run out of numbers unless you want number 105 out there.

but IMO it's a no brainer --- in the history of the Halos' franchise there have been probably THREE (and after this week FOUR) 'franchise players'

1. Jim Fregosi

2. Nolan Ryan (ironically traded for Fregosi)

3. Tim Salmon

4. MIKE TROUT (aleady!)

others perhaps (arguably) coming close would be: Brian Downing, Bobby Grich, Chuck Finley, Garrett Anderson, Vlad....I am sure I missed a few others.

but, really, other than the FOUR listed who were (are) clearly the face of the franchise -- the kind of player who when the team name was mentioned you thought : this guy!

Jim Fregosi was the first real face of the fanchise player -- then came Nolan Ryan and really Tim Salmon was the first one after that and his spot there was cemented when he raised that championship trophy to the fans after the 7th game World Series win in 2002 at Anaheim.

And now, Mike Trout is the face of not only the Angels franchise but the face of MLB as well.

As a huge Vlad fan this was a very very cool thing to see today - very classy . He did a lot for this organization and it was nice for him to get to retire as an Angel . As for his number It should be retired but how do you do that with Trout wearing it ? You surely don't ask Trout to change it - I guess you could go the Yankee route and retire the same number twice - cause I'm thinking Trouts will be when all is said and done .

Really should retire Salmons number too