• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Manny Machado Whines About Contract Renewal

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10587626/manny-machado-baltimore-orioles-disappointed-new-deal

Manny Machado has agreed to a new deal with the Orioles worth $519,000, but the third baseman admits he's slightly disappointed by the contract, according to the Baltimore Sun.

"It is disappointing, but at the end of the day, you just have to go out and play," Machado told the Sun.

Machado, 21, will earn a $100,000 bonus for winning the 2013 Platinum Glove Award, which honors the American League's best defender. He made $495,000 last season with a bonus of $25,000 for making the All-Star team.

"I'd love to be an Oriole forever. I love the organization, I love the fans here. I love everything about this, and putting the uniform on every day," Machado said, according to the Sun. "I just want to be treated fairly. That's it."

Treated fairly? 

This is the deal that your union, arguably the most powerful union in the United States, negotiated for you; the deal that if you stay healthy and remain similarly productive for just two more years will likely net you an annual salary in excess of eight figures. And that's BEFORE free agency.

And ballplayers wonder why fans turn on them.

I would be pissed if I were in his shoes too.  Guys like Trout, Harper, Machado, Harvey, etc. are responsible, by themselves, for bringing in tens (if not hundreds) of millions of dollars to MLB and their teams.  They are paid just a small fraction of that, while guys like A-Rod and Vernon Wells make 20-mil plus to not play.  And who knows when these guys could suffer career ending injuries of find themselves no longer productive and capable of earning huge salaries.  I would want to maximize my earnings while I was at my best as well.

But LTH's point makes sense - this is the framework put into place by the MLB Union, which of course is comprised of many young, pre-arbitration players.  I just happen to think the whole system makes little sense and probably ought to be radically re-worked.

It makes you appreciate how patient Trout has been. But I agree that this is the system that his Union has created and he needs to honor that. I also like how Kershaw and the Dodgers handled themselves prior to his recent contract.

Edited by 19HALO71

He's 21. I'm glad nobody shoved a mic or pen and paper in front of me when I was 21 but this can't be a surprise to him. It's his agent's job to keep him abreast of how the whole system works. Unfair in the micro? Perhaps. Unfair in the macro? Not in the least. Having tenure in most areas of big business has it's benefits and baseball certainly can be considered big business. Stay healthy, Manny and you'll be smiling when you're 24.

I would be pissed if I were in his shoes too.  Guys like Trout, Harper, Machado, Harvey, etc. are responsible, by themselves, for bringing in tens (if not hundreds) of millions of dollars to MLB and their teams.  They are paid just a small fraction of that, while guys like A-Rod and Vernon Wells make 20-mil plus to not play.  And who knows when these guys could suffer career ending injuries of find themselves no longer productive and capable of earning huge salaries.  I would want to maximize my earnings while I was at my best as well.

But LTH's point makes sense - this is the framework put into place by the MLB Union, which of course is comprised of many young, pre-arbitration players.  I just happen to think the whole system makes little sense and probably ought to be radically re-worked.

Baseball stars are grossly under paid for three years.  They maybe paid fairly for three years, then comes free agency....where they are grossly over paid for the rest of their career. 

Wait your time Machado....I am sure whoever you playing for in your 30s won't be whining to the media...."I just want to pay him a fair wage".

Trout handled it perfectly and sounded like someone in the know about the system. He got a pay bump but said, "Not worried, my time will come." He even gave props to the FO saying they didn't have to upgrade him this year, as well.

Yet a lot of people were upset and thought he would be a Yankee

I don't even think Manny is out of line, the system sucks for guys like him and Trout, but it's the way it is. I don't see it as whining when he says he wants to be treated fairly, but will just go out and play.

He is still on recovery from knee surgery and can't run the bases at full speed or slide, let alone play his position. There is no telling what Manny Machado comes back from injury and how long before he is as effective as before the injury if ever.

This is one of the reasons buying up a players non arbitration years can bite the ball club in the ass. Injuries happen and cost effective players are not cost effective on the DL. He needs to shut up and get that knee back in shape, then prove he is still worth on the field what his mouth is demanding.

Trout handled it perfectly and sounded like someone in the know about the system. He got a pay bump but said, "Not worried, my time will come." He even gave props to the FO saying they didn't have to upgrade him this year, as well.

Yet a lot of people were upset and thought he would be a Yankee

I don't even think Manny is out of line, the system sucks for guys like him and Trout, but it's the way it is. I don't see it as whining when he says he wants to be treated fairly, but will just go out and play.

This is why I disagree Brandon:

The system sucks for the franchises when they become free agents.  It was Baltimore who drafted him and trained him to be the player he is.  They should benefit from his skills at the bargain price of over half a million.  Is he worth more...sure, but remember Baltimore made an investment in his development.

That said, when Manny signs as a Free agent he will be grossly over paid.  I am sure the teams can't whine if Manny pulls a Wells and plays poorly when he is grossly over paid. 

Like Trout said, his time for big money will come.  It is not unfair.  Why?  Because it is the player that screws the owners once they become free agents.

he needs to avoid answering this question for the foreseeable future. i wish sportswriters were smart enough not to ask him about it, but unfortunately they aren't.

you're time will come, manny. be patient. those of us in the real world who don't get $25,000 bonuses for going to a two day all star event don't want to hear you complaining about your pay stub as a 21 year old.

This is why I disagree Brandon:

The system sucks for the franchises when they become free agents.  It was Baltimore who drafted him and trained him to be the player he is.  They should benefit from his skills at the bargain price of over half a million.  Is he worth more...sure, but remember Baltimore made an investment in his development.

That said, when Manny signs as a Free agent he will be grossly over paid.  I am sure the teams can't whine if Manny pulls a Wells and plays poorly when he is grossly over paid. 

Like Trout said, his time for big money will come.  It is not unfair.  Why?  Because it is the player that screws the owners once they become free agents.

I don't know how to respond....you're right?

That's what I said about the Trout situation. You're not disagreeing with me.

There are always going to be Wells and Zito's of the world, just like there will be Trout's and Machado's.