• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If we don't get Garza

wopphil

Aybar's value declined some due to the subpar 2013 season maybe simply due to the early season injury/DL stint.
I'd hold on to him in 2014.    If he returns to 2011-2012 form in 2014, then his value will go up again. 

Howie likely has more value at this time. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

Howie has more value possibly, but Aybar is more easily replaceable. Romine and Field could take over at short and the defense wouldn't lose a step. One could argue that it would get better. The offense would take a hit but it isn't like Aybar is a juggernaut with the bat. Romine could put up a .650 OPS I think and the value becomes a wash.

Kendrick is more difficult to replace because he has the better bat and also a good glove. Green could replace the bat but defensively it wouldn't even be close. It's likely Lindsey is another year or so away.

Meh....   I view Garza as a a huge risk to stay healthy.  Capuano, Maholm, types will likely be available on the cheap...  If Santiago and Skaggs are what the Angels hope they are, then whoever they sign is nothing other than an insurance policy.

Barring Tanaka -- go cheap.

i would agree that you'd get better value out of signing a Capuano/Maholm type than Garza, BUT . . .

what the Angels really need IMO is another front-end starter (#1, #2, or strong #3 guy), which Tanaka would most certainly be, and Garza has the potential to be if he stays healthy.  The problem with a Capuano/Maholm signing is the Angels are left depending on at least one of Skaggs, Santiago, or Richards really stepping up.

By the way, Ryan Parker of BP wrote an column the other day on Garza which really has me concerned.

The column requires a subscription, but Parker is concerned about the dip in velocity on his 4-seamer, as well as his injuries and age. He thinks that Garza can maintain a #3 status for another couple of years.

Are we sure we want someone like this for 5 or so years?

Edited by Mark68

i would agree that you'd get better value out of signing a Capuano/Maholm type than Garza, BUT . . .

what the Angels really need IMO is another front-end starter (#1, #2, or strong #3 guy), which Tanaka would most certainly be, and Garza has the potential to be if he stays healthy.  The problem with a Capuano/Maholm signing is the Angels are left depending on at least one of Skaggs, Santiago, or Richards really stepping up.

I agree -- they need a front of the rotation guy..  thing is..  I don't see a front of a rotation guy, I see a guy who's posted good ERAs in great pitchers parks for the bulk of his career.  Garza is career 4.01 (105 ERA+) in the AL.  Paying front of the rotation money for a guy who struggles to pitch 170 innings just seems like an awful idea to me -- particularly given he was less than spectacular in Texas.  Signing Garza just seems like more of the same, an attempt to stave off a rebuild that needs to happen.  I'd rather go cheap, sell off at the ASB if needed and then try to find a legit arm next year Vs settling for the best of a weak crop of pitchers.  

Garza is a "good", not "great", pitcher.  Whoever signs him will be paying for more than that..   Ultimately, I think it's the years it will take to sign him that will be truly ugly.

Edited by Inside Pitch

No way Howie gets a No 3 pitcher. At best he gets you another Hector Santiago, which is a young guy whose ceiling is a No 3 but who is possibly a no 5/reliever.

Howie costs twice as much as Trumbo and is only under control for 2 years.

Also, you can't trade Howie and have Grant Green as your everyday 2B. They'd have to go get some other veteran. So that's another hole.

Also, Drew also costs a draft pick, so if the Angels are going to trade Aybar for pitching and sign Drew they may as well just sign Jimenez. (They aren't doing either.)

SP   Alfredo Aceves (31) Bronson Arroyo (37) Dylan Axelrod (28) Scott Baker (32) Erik Bedard (35) Travis Blackley (31) A.J. Burnett (37) Chris Capuano (35) Bruce Chen (37) Jeff Francis (33) Freddy Garcia (37) Jon Garland (34) Matt Garza (30) Chad Gaudin (31) Jason Hammel (31) Tommy Hanson (27) Aaron Harang (36) Jeremy Hefner (28) Ubaldo Jimenez (30) Jair Jurrjens (28) Jeff Karstens (31) John Lannan (29) Paul Maholm (32) Jason Marquis (35) Daisuke Matsuzaka (33) James McDonald (29) Jeff Niemann (31)   Roy Oswalt (35) Greg Reynolds (28) Clayton Richard (30) Ervin Santana (31) Johan Santana (34) Joe Saunders (33) Kevin Slowey (30) Masahiro Tanaka (25) - right to sign will be acquired via posting system for Japanese players Jake Westbrook (36) Jerome Williams (32) Suk-Min Yoon (27) Barry Zito (36)

I think you could get some serviceable players from this list. I'd sign 2 of them on 1 year deals and let Skaggs, Santiago, and 2 SP's fight for the 4-5 slot.