• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

*Official* 2014 "sick" lineup thread

stevestevens

Now that we know the 9 guys who will get the majority of the starts, let us now start dreaming of the lineup that will pump out 800+ runs. 

Here is mine

Calhoun RF

Trout CF

Pujols 1B

Hamilton LF

Kendrick 2B

Ibanez DH

Conger C

Aybar SS

Freese 3B

The wild card is Freese.  I know that I am probably in the minority with Freese batting last but I want to build the lineup around Trout.  For some reason I think we see the 2013 Freese and not the 2012 Freese.  If we get the 2012 Freese, then he hits fifth.  If we get the 2013 Freese with little pop but high OBP then we have two guys batting in front of Trout that will be on base on a 350+ clip forcing teams to pitch to him and allowing Trout to see pitches and to drive in runs.  

Pujols and Hamilton better hit the crap out of the baseball, if we get the 2013 version of both these guys next year then AO might have a ranting partner next year. 

Edited by Stevestevens

I know it's not gonna happen but I like Calhoun as a 2 hitter and Trout at 3...

Aybar

Calhoun

Trout

Pujols

Hamilton

Kendrick

Ibanez

Freese

Conger

This is all predicated on Aybar learning how to steal a base.  I don't necessarily like him as a leadoff hitter but I like Calhoun second and Trout 3rd more.  This the first time I've realized how slow this lineup is btw except for Trout. 

First of all, please read this http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2009/3/17/795946/optimizing-your-lineup-by

so we can have an intelligent debate about line up construction, not that it really matters that much.

Calhoun RF

Trout CF

Hamilton LF

Pujols 1B

Freese 3B

Ibanez DH

Kendrick 2B

Conger/Iannetta C

Aybar SS

Ideally Iannetta's OBP has him leading off but he's so stinking slow. Calhoun probably leads off if his OBP is similar to last year but I hate waisting his HRs there, less people on base for him. Pujols bats 4th because he'll get more RBI opportunities there and because Trout is the best hitter on the team (bats second.) Please, before you respond to this post, read the article. <sigh> oh well, I ask too much.

Edited by GregAlso

First of all, please read this http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2009/3/17/795946/optimizing-your-lineup-by

so we can have an intelligent debate about line up construction, not that it really matters that much.

Calhoun RF

Trout CF

Hamilton LF

Pujols 1B

Freese 3B

Ibanez DH

Kendrick 2B

Conger/Iannetta C

Aybar SS

Ideally Iannetta's OBP has him leading off but he's so stinking slow. Calhoun probably leads off if his OBP is similar to last year but I hate waisting his HRs there, less people on base for him. Pujols bats 4th because he'll get more RBI opportunities there and because Trout is the best hitter on the team (bats second.) Please, before you respond to this post, read the article. <sigh> oh well, I ask too much.

This lineup is poised to take the 2009 Pennant!

Albert will bat third but not forever, I would say if he isn't effective this could be his last year there.

Agreed with not forever, but he'll bat there as long as he plays decently. If he's outright bad you're right.

bloodbrother and GregAlso have the same lineup, and I agree with it.

Funny, ELEVEN, although Trout was only 17 in 2009, so he might only hit .250 or so.

They don't, one (Greg) thinks Pujols doesn't hit 3rd.

Edited by Halos of Anaheim

Let's be real: just about any combination we list here (assuming we stick to players who will actually play for the Halos) is possible. Calling my shot that this happens at one point:

Trout

Pujols

Freese

Ibanez

Hamilton

Kendrick

Aybar

Iannetta

Calhoun

Pujols played all of his 391 at bats at #3 last year. In his last 3 seasons, he's played 1575 out of 1575 at bats at 3rd, those two other at bats most likely coming in as a pinch hitter. He does not hit anything other than 3.

I can't take lists without Pujols hitting 3rd serious. He hasn't not hit 3rd in forever. I'm pretty sure it's in his contract or something.

Read the article I posted in this thread and then maybe you'll understand why he shouldn't hit third. Then maybe I'll take you seriously.

I just can't see Calhoun as a lead-off guy.  His OBP is relatively low (especially compared to Trout)  and is a below-average base stealer with minimal speed (especially compared to Trout).  With Trout on first, Calhoun is going to see a lot of fast balls that he can pull.

Edited by NorCal Halo

I just can't see Calhoun as a lead-off guy. His OBA is relatively low (especially compared to Trout) and is a below-average base stealer with minimal speed (especially compared to Trout). With Trout on first, Calhoun is going to see a lot of fast balls that he can pull.

His OBP last year was .347, that's low? It was third highest on the team. He isn't slow. It's also been shown that pitchers pitch to batters not men on base.

Calhoun RF

Trout CF

Hamilton LF

Pujols 1B

Freese 3B

Ibanez DH

Kendrick 2B

Conger/Iannetta C

Aybar SS

I would be happy with this, though I also like Trout hitting 3rd.

Here's mine....

RF Calhoun

SS Aybar

CF Trout

1B Pujols

LF Hamilton

2B Kendrick

DH Ibanez

3B Freese

C  Iannetta/Conger

I know Aybar isn't the prototypical leadoff hitter, but because of his low strikeout totals, good contact rate and bunting skills, I like him at #2 hitting ahead of Trout.

I would be happy with this, though I also like Trout hitting 3rd.

Here's mine....

RF Calhoun

SS Aybar

CF Trout

1B Pujols

LF Hamilton

2B Kendrick

DH Ibanez

3B Freese

C Iannetta/Conger

I know Aybar isn't the prototypical leadoff hitter, but because of his low strikeout totals, good contact rate and bunting skills, I like him at #2 hitting ahead of Trout.

That makes him the old school number two hitter but that costs us runs. In reality a #2 hitter gets nearly the same RBI opportunities and more ABs than a #3 hitter.

I don't want Aybar getting many ABs because he makes more outs with them, low OBP. If my lead off guy is getting on more than a third of the time then I want my #2 hitter to drive him in, not give himself up.

If the top 2 guys in the line up up can get on 35-40% of the time and they get more ABs then the team makes fewer outs, has longer sustained rallies, and scores more runs.

Aybar's stolen base ability profiles lower in the lineup where his CS won't hurt as much. His SB will help create more runs in front a singles hitter like Iannetta. His CS is more painful in front of a HR hitter like the heart of the order. Aybar should hit anywhere from 7th to 9th.

Edited by GregAlso

My crystal ball has the opening day lineup being

Calhoun, RF

Trout, CF

Pujols, 1B

Hamilton, LF

Freese, 3B

Ibanez, DH

Kendrick, 2B

Iannetta, C(I'd rather have Conger as the everyday starter but I'm not confident to say he will be at this stage)

Aybar, SS

This is pretty much the exact line-up I set up on my MLB 13 The Show game I just played after downloading an updated roster. I did have Conger in the line-up over Iannetta is the only difference.