• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why not Grant Green for SS if Aybar is traded?

Chuck

I believe he was moved to 2B out of need by the A's, same with outfield. I could be wrong, but I haven't heard anything about him being a terrible defender at SS, his primary position through college and the first few years in the minors.

If Aybar is to be traded for an arm, say a Jon Niese type, why not use Green at SS instead of the lite-hitting Andrew Romine?

Here's a blurb by Baseball Prospectus on Grant after his promotion to the big leagues this past summer.

The Call-Up
Grant Green

by Nick J. Faleris and Bret Sayre

The Situation: The first-place Oakland Athletics have received lackluster production out of the second base position in 2013—.264/.339/.343 and just one home run through 89 games—and now look to Triple-A Sacramento for an offensive boost in the form of Grant Green. After a solid but unspectacular year in Sactown last summer, Green has broken out in his second tour through the hitter-friendly PCL, triple-slashing .318/.374/.500 through 81 games whiles launching 11 home runs and 25 doubles.

Background: After entering his junior year at USC as a potential top five draft pick in 2009, Green struggled at the plate and in the field, ultimately dropping to Oakland as the 13th overall selection that June. Since then, he’s slowly climbed through the minor league ranks, showing steady growth in his game, and particularly in his approach at the plate. After shuffling around the diamond through his first three full seasons, Green made the permanent move off of shortstop in 2013 and looks to have found a permanent home at the keystone.

Scouting Report: Green projects to have average tools across the board, with a chance for an above-average hit tool thanks to an improved approach at the plate and a simple swing that helps the barrel to the ball more often than not. While he has shown some over-the-fence pop during his minor league tenure, those power spikes have come in home run-friendly environments, and the odds are that Green will be a much larger doubles threat as a major leaguer—particularly in the spacious Coliseum.

Green has improved his production in the field through reps and instruction, but the strongest catalyst for the positive growth may have been the simple switch off the six-spot. At shortstop, his range was pushed at the margins, often leading to hurried actions and imperfect execution. He is a more deliberate defender at second, but has enough athleticism and body control to make the necessary pivots, and his lower half works well enough to cover the necessary ground without sacrificing his ability to finish.

Green is most likely a second-division starter, long term, but given the current state of second base on Oakland’s 25-man, that would be a nice improvement. He should hit for average with a good number of doubles and low-double-digit home runs, and will show some on-base ability while providing positive value on the bases.

Immediate Big-League Future: Green isn’t being promoted to sit on the bench, so he should see the lion’s share of the action at second base. The lack of production thus far from the Athletics’ second basemen should afford Green some adjustment time, as there is no reason not to let him get his reps and find his stride, even if that means some struggles along the way. If Green proves up to the task of adjusting to top-tier pitching in his first taste of big league ball, the A’s will get a much-needed bump in production and Green will lay claim to the inside track on the everyday second base job in Oakland long term. —Nick J. Faleris

His range is way below average which is why he was moved off SS I believe in the first place. I'm not sure it's something he can fix since his first step isn't very good and he doesn't move to his right all that well. 

Still, I think he'll hit enough to get some starts at 2B this year and DH a bunch where he's useful. 

It is very rare that a player who stinks defensively at 2B will be passable at SS. Usually it goes the other way around, with poor defensive shortstops transitioning to 2B.

That said, I remember reading a Sickels scouting report that said his defense should eventually be a least average....at 2B. I also think his stick will come around and he could be a Todd Walker type: good with the bat, mediocre with the glove.

That said, I like Lindsey's - and perhaps even Yarbrough's - upside more as an overall player at 2B. But if both of those two stick with the Angels, and if Cowart continues to struggle, I could see one being transitioned to 3B.

His range is way below average which is why he was moved off SS I believe in the first place. I'm not sure it's something he can fix since his first step isn't very good and he doesn't move to his right all that well. 

Still, I think he'll hit enough to get some starts at 2B this year and DH a bunch where he's useful. 

With Trumbo's trade and possibly Ibanez' signing for 2014, Green could serve a useful purpose in DHing some 30 games in addition to backing up 2B and maybe also backing up 3B. 

Gads. So while a fair trade, Green is nothing more than a DH with little power?

I guess as a reserve he'll do just fine but in looking deeper at his defensive metrics and errors committed it's a damn good thing we didn't trade Kendrick. That job should go to Lindsey once HK is traded at some point, probably after the 2014 season.