• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why not Grant Green for SS if Aybar is traded?

Chuck

Every report I've seen was Green was a disaster at SS. Oakland never kept him at any other position long enough for him to get good though, so I don't think we should write him off totally. He probably won't ever be a quality defender, but he could learn and become solid. It is not unlike what happened with both Figgins and Callaspo who started off as poor defenders at third before becoming pretty good.  However, if they aren't going to let Green focus on a position, they might as well let him go full superutility. He has a bit of experience at 2B, 3B and OF already. Send him to the minors this year and have him get used to working at several positions then go forward with him as a really useful and flexible bench player who can hit a bit. In the age of 7-man bullpens, having a bench guy that can play just about everywhere is very valuable.

Chuck,

I like your attempt to think "outside the box" and hope that the Angels have people and discussions like this to see what ways they can shake things up. Having talked with Dipoto, I know he likes original thinking like this. However, as others have pointed out, the defense would take too much of a hit to justify the move. Now if we could get a upper echelon pitcher by trading Aybar, I would consider it if we could get a legitimate DH to balance out the offensive drop to Romine.

Chuck,

I like your attempt to think "outside the box" and hope that the Angels have people and discussions like this to see what ways they can shake things up. Having talked with Dipoto, I know he likes original thinking like this. However, as others have pointed out, the defense would take too much of a hit to justify the move. Now if we could get a upper echelon pitcher by trading Aybar, I would consider it if we could get a legitimate DH to balance out the offensive drop to Romine.

Yeah, I'll be the first to admit that I haven't done a lot of research on Grant Green's defense. I thought he was just average across the board defensively, not below average, near a liability.

I spoke so a member of the Angels staff early in the offseason who said Green was getting his reps in at 3B this offseason and the coaching staff really liked what they saw.  He said Green had the glove and athleticism to make the necessary strides to become a quality defender at 3B long term.  Just  recently he's spent more time at 2B and still gets in his reps at shortstop.  He's still obviously most comfortable playing shortstop and is at his best at that position, which is passable but below average.  

The plan right now is for Green to fill a super-UT role a la Chone Figgins or Maicer Izturis.  Green's upside with the bat is undenaible though.  He's got enough patience, power, contact and ability to adjust to be an everyday player, which I think he will be eventually, just not immediately.  

As for the trade, we shed 2 million last season alone and another 4.5 million this season and got a younger player with more offensive upside than Callaspo.  That trade was a huge win for the Angels. 

It was but the pro game is just so different from the college game.  A lot of times with the metal bats balls are hit hard enough that there isn't even a play on the ball so there's not as much you can do to gauge some tools.  I think scouts just liked his long frame, athleticism and hit tool enough to figure it'd translate perfectly to the pro game and that wasn't necessarily the case.  

There are just quicker player with stronger arms that grant has at shortstop that make his defense less than desrieable.  But as garrett said, a big issue with Green is that the A's never really stuck him at one spot and let him develop there.  They moved him all around and the result was a player that was equally as bad at many positions.  The Angels would do good to let him focus at 2B or 3B and go from there as they did with Figgins and Callaspo.