• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Vote Angels Fans! The Official GM Jerry Dipoto Approval Rating

Chuck

How do you rate Jerry Dipoto's job as GM  

86 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Jerry Dipoto's job this offseason (2013)

• 5 STARS (EXCELLENT)
    • 4 STARS (GOOD)
    • 3 STARS (DECENT)
    • 2 STARS (BELOW AVERAGE)
    • 1 STAR (FAIL)
  2. 2. How do you rate Jerry Dipoto's overall job as GM

• 5 STARS (EXCELLENT)
    • 4 STARS (GOOD)
    • 3 STARS (DECENT)
    • 2 STARS (BELOW AVERAGE)
    • 1 STAR (FAIL)

So far this offseason I would say one bad move and one looks like good move plus. I don't know much about Skaggs and Santiago. But both being young starting pitchers who are left handed should help. So far probably good off season. But overall for his career here, his moves have not been great. Pujols, Hamilton, Blanton, both relievers last year who didn't play. Ianetta. Hopefully he has learned his lesson and picks it up. 

This offseason: Definitely a 4, just hit a home run and really helped the organizations future going forward with this move.

Overall: 3 for sure, way too many boneheaded, cringe worthy moves. If he pulls off something like this (trading Howie/Aybar for some more cheap pitching, free up more cap space and sign a guy like Choo/Hart or Tanaka/Garza) then I'll give him a 3.5.

This poll is premature, Dipoto still has not addressed the completion of the rotation unless he plans on starting Blanton. If that is the case he is just spinning his wheels this off season.

You can always change your vote in this poll. I will circle back to this once the team is fully intact, but right now the rotation is full unless the Angels want Skaggs and Richards to battle for the 5th spot and we go out and sign a Garza type.

5/4

I only really blame him for Blanton, as I see Hamilton, and especially Pujols, as a wealthy owners wish, and Dipoto being too new to seriously question his boss. Fact is...Hamilton and Pujols need to turn it around and produce for his team to win...no matter what future miracles Jerry performs (and yeah, IMO, getting two solid young pitchers for Trumbo and Shugal is nearly miraculous)

Chuck, I love you for your optimistic spirit but you're such a pollyanna!

Count me in on "too soon to tell," but for this offseason:

Bourjos/Grichuk for Freese/Salas - I've mellowed on this a bit as I like it for the short-term and the fact that Trout now gets CF to himself, but will miss Bourjos. I'll call it "below average to decent" because in principle I hate trading younger, more talented players for older "proven veterans."

Joe Smith - Another Downs signing. An over-pay, but a good pickup so I'll call it "decent."

Trumbo/Schugel for Skaggs/Santiago - At first I thought excellent, but with some research into Skaggs and Santiago because of their question marks, I'll call it "good." If Skaggs regains his velocity and Santiago doesn't regress too much this could be excellent.

The net effect is positive, meaning the team will be better in 2014 than in 2013 because of his moves so far. I'd say "decent to good" but will vote "good" because I'm guessing he's still working on it.

As for overall, I still see his GMing as below average. We can't forget the effect of his first two years as the GM - the organization in a virtual tailspin. I know that Arte was behind Albert and Hamilton, but they're still under Jerry's watch. Blanton was terrible. Walden for Hanson, Chatwood for Iannetta, and the Greinke trade all look bad in hindsight. Frieri still looks good but not as great as we originally thought. A strong finish to this offseason might get me to change by vote to decent. 

I said a few weeks ago that Jerry deserves one more offseason and I think the Trumbo trade earns him that chance. But the team really needs to win 90 and at least sniff the playoffs.

Edited by Angelsjunky

I give him 4/5 for the offseason so far. He has achieved both of the main goals going in, i. e., strengthening the bullpen and the rotation, and we may not be done. He also solidified third base, where we haven't had a consistent producer since Troy Glaus. I hated to part with both Bourjos and Trumbo, but you have to give something up to get something. I'm not judging the trades completely on last year's numbers, since a lot can change when a player moves to a new team.

4 this offseason. Didn't like the Freese trade but the Trumbo trade was a great one. Smith signing was solid. He's fixed 3rd base, added to the pen and added 2 young starters who are both options for the rotation. If he adds another starter, finds an above average bat to DH and adds another arm to the pen, I would be ecstatic. 

Overall, his moves just haven't worked out so I gave him a 2. I think this offseason could possibly move him to 3.