• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

McJobs

So in other words, a new graduate RN is worth about $3 per hour more than the guy who screws up your order at the McDonald's drive through, according to these people.

Google tells me the average RN starts around $50k now and presumably would be higher than that in California. They'd only be making about 40% as much as the average new nurse.  $15 universally doesn't make much sense since someone in Hicksville, Arkansas could probably be king of the trailer park with a salary like that but it still won't get them very far in New York or LA or a lot of places with indoor plumbing.

Google tells me the average RN starts around $50k now and presumably would be higher than that in California. They'd only be making about 40% as much as the average new nurse.  $15 universally doesn't make much sense since someone in Hicksville, Arkansas could probably be king of the trailer park with a salary like that but it still won't get them very far in New York or LA or a lot of places with indoor plumbing.

Absolutely true. Getting $15 per hour in San Francisco isn't the same thing as getting it in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. It might make more sense if there were a flexible minimum wage tied to the cost of living index in a particular area. That would be rough on small businesses, though. I'm not sure what the correct answer is.

• 5 years later...
On 12/15/2013 at 7:55 PM, Brandon said:

Kansas City is a trip in that regard. My cousin has a two bedroom, two bath place for $400 a month, I believe. If someone was to make $15-$20 an hour, that's not a bad living.

Moved here about five years ago. Rents were super cheap through most of the "good" areas in KCMO, but have since jumped up quite a bit. Home purchase prices have gone up quite a bit too, but it's still pretty cheap to buy really. It's created an interesting housing market for sure. Basically anything over $250k stays on the market for awhile and sells slightly below list, and anything under $250k sells in 1-3 days for like 5-10% over list.

57 minutes ago, Don said:

Moved here about five years ago. Rents were super cheap through most of the "good" areas in KCMO, but have since jumped up quite a bit. Home purchase prices have gone up quite a bit too, but it's still pretty cheap to buy really. It's created an interesting housing market for sure. Basically anything over $250k stays on the market for awhile and sells slightly below list, and anything under $250k sells in 1-3 days for like 5-10% over list.

Yeah, it's still a trip. I know this chick that works at rent.com or some similar big website here in Irvine and she said on her data KC looks good but it's a little different. I looked there a few years ago and some of the high rises or lofts were the same as OC. KC is actually on this chicks list of places to move too because of price. But her and I had a discussion about Independence or Blue Springs opposed to a loft above Power and Light.