• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bourjos traded to Cardinals

SoWhat

you don't think there was a team out there that was willing to give up pitching prospects for Pete and Randall?

Perhaps that combo didn't have enough value to net us a young, club controlled major league starter with upside, but I have to think a AA SP and RP could have been a reasonable return. 

It's now obvious what the goal is this offseason ie make the major league club better to address the window of opportunity.  I am just not sure that is the best approach. 

There was never any way the Angels were going to start trading away major league players (Bourjos) for minor league prospects a la small market and rebuilding teams.  Not with a payroll closing in on 200 million dollars.  

When is the team going to rebuild? Consecutive losing seasons and they act like they are one player away from competing. Acquiring players who have already peaked and mediocre relievers is bad strategy. Trade speaks about what Scioscia, er I mean the team, values in players. Can't develop talent into stars, must trade for aging pieces.

That said, maybe that's all Bourjos was worth right now.

• 4 years later...
On 11/22/2013 at 4:04 PM, SoWhat said:

@JeffFletcherOCR: Dipoto said the #Angels major league OFs, plus emergence of Zack Bornstein, made Grichuk expendable.

Wow Dipoto is such an idiot.  He really didn't consider that Hamilton might relapse? As it turns out, Grichuk turned out to be a pretty good player and would have been a huge upgrade in LF after Hamilton went on a coke binge.  

Also what ever happened to Bornstein anyways?  Anyone know?

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

So it was two 4th outfielders for a starting third baseman with decent on base skills, and is poor defensively and the last guy in the pen.  

Not to mention, freese has been long gone (and wasnt anything special when here). Whereas bourjos and grichuk would have at worst been in house LFs instead of the shit show we had to go out and sign the last few years.

Freese wasn’t very good, but he was a major league 3b for us.  Bourjous has always been massively over valued on this board.  Dude is trash and at least with us, constantly hurt.  Grichuck would have been good to have for LF, but I feel like this place would hate him if he ended up with the job.  He’s not good either. 

Anyway, the Cardinals definitely extracted more out of the trade then the Angels did.  Just another L for Dipoto.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

On 11/22/2013 at 12:25 PM, ettin said:

Chuck with all due respect this is why I wanted to trade Trumbo, whose value is high right now, so that we could have Bourjos in CF while Calhoun swapped in and out with Hamilton between DH/RF.

I think if this trade holds true (Bourjos/Grichuk for Freese/Salas) it was a losing one for us in many ways. In fact I'd go further and say that the fact they want to keep Trumbo over Bourjos shows a real lack of faith in Hamilton and his power staying consistent (thus the need for Mark's power in the lineup).

Not one of my finest comments....

I will say though that the trade really hasn't worked out for either side. The Cardinals are very likely going to trade Grichuk this off-season so both teams extracted marginal value out of the trade.

40 minutes ago, Fish Oil said:

In all fairness, Grichuk is still young (he will be 26 next season), he put up an outstanding season at 23, and he maintains a positive defensive value. It's not unreasonable to think his best years may still be ahead of him.

Agreed. He may not turn into a superstar (but holy shit did that one year of his hurt), but at least theres still a chance he sticks somewhere. Bourjos too will probably still find a job for the next 2 or 3 years.

Freese is gone, and salas is someone you sign cheap, not trade for.

3 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Lol “the emergence of Zach Borenstein” 

presumably Jerry was wearing the same scouting hat when he discovered MLB ready Roberto Baldoquin.   

I had a book awhile back, maybe still do, about the Angels, like a history up until Vlad.

"The emergence of zach borenstein" sounds like a chapter if they ever update that book to include the next decade (before we win the world series in 2020).