• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Maybe Bourjos needs to stay and Trout goes back to LF?

Angel Oracle

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/42274/angels-d-needs-fixing-as-much-as-pitching

That's a big defensive difference between 2012 and 2013.

Granted we hope Pujols is better in 2014, Aybar is better in 2014, etc.

Maybe having Trout in LF and Bourjos in CF would allow Hamilton/Calhoun to be better defensively in 2014.

Edited by Angel Oracle

In my next 'Hot Stove Trade Speculation' article I mention this possibility but only because of Bourjos' depressed value right now. If Bourjos isn't traded this off season, I think having him play one more season in CF next year will help reestablish his value so that if we don't make the playoffs in 2014 we will have a much more valuable trade chip during next year's off season.

I think Mike's defensive drop is just an anomaly. He is good defensively.

i still don't get why people have some sort of aversion to trading Callhoun.  His value is pretty high right now, and could net us the starting pitcher that we need.  

I'm not adverse to trading Calhoun I'm just afraid that other teams don't see his real value which I think is pretty high. At this moment in time I feel we would be selling low on him. I'd rather move Trumbo and take a gamble on the more toolsy Calhoun I think.

I believe that DiPoto should trade whoever brings back the most in young pitching.  Whether it's Trumbo, Bourjous, Kedrick, Calhoun, Aybar, Shuck or whomever, DiPoto needs to be able to entice teams to give up what we need.  For example, I highly doubt that teams aren't aware that Trumbo's OBP is very low and thus, creates outs.  All of the power is nice, but many teams can't justify all of the outs.  He would need to be traded with another body to get what the team needs. 

Unfortunately, the Angels can't keep the status quo and some of these players will have to be traded.  It's too bad, cause I am partial to the local kids like Trumbo and Conger.  Selfish homerism, I admit, but fair trades should hurt both sides. 

Defensively, Trout was down because he didn't play next to Torrii Hunter in RF and Trumbo in LF.

Shuck was awful defensively and Hamilton was a step down.

Next season, it's likely Trout/Bourjos/Hamilton in the OF most of the time, though Calhoun and Shuck will play. IF TRUMBO is traded that is.

If they keep Bourjos and play him in SLC, they can also keep and play Trumbo without him taking away OF time from Calhoun.

There's a market for Kendrick, Aybar, and Iannetta, and moving them would free up at least $22M.  Of course you'd have to be willing to accept a middle infield of Field/Romine/Green for a season, but I think the difference would be negligible, both offensively and defensively.  The reason for keeping Bourjos and Trumbo allows them to possibly move Hamilton at the deadline if he has a strong 1st half, and I think the Angels would definitely look to move him if there's any takers.  With only 3.5 years remaining on his contract at the deadline, he might be appealing to teams in the chase with money to spend.  If they do move Hamilton, Trout gets his contract and there's plenty of money left over for more pitching or upgrading the infield if need be.  If not and he sucks again, they can assess the situation again during the offseason.

I'd love to have an outfield of Trout, Bourjos, Calhoun with Trumbo/Pujols splitting time at DH/1B.

If I'm Arte, I make one phone call to Trout this off-season. "First of all, thank you Mike for having two of the greatest seasons in MLB history and being a class act on and off the field. Second, I hope you understand that due to the luxury tax rules, I cannot give you the long term deal that I'm dying to give you. If you put up a third year like the last two, we're talking a contract that even Scott Boras will complain that you're being overpaid. Finally Mike, what position would you like to play every day and what spot in the batting order would you like to hit in every day? I will give Sosh a copy of 162 lineup cards with that information already filled out."

The reason for keeping Bourjos and Trumbo allows them to possibly move Hamilton at the deadline if he has a strong 1st half, and I think the Angels would definitely look to move him if there's any takers.  With only 3.5 years remaining on his contract at the deadline, he might be appealing to teams in the chase with money to spend.  If they do move Hamilton, Trout gets his contract and there's plenty of money left over for more pitching or upgrading the infield if need be. 

Texas is looking for an outfielder.  He has proven success there.  He has 4/$98 remaining on his contract.  Would they be interested at 4/$60 if all it involved was a minor prospect?  Would Hamilton go back?  

But the bad thing about his contract is it's severely backloaded.  $15/$23/$30/$30.  

I would love to keep Bourjos as he's been one of my favorite players the past few years.

If we didn't have such limited spending money,presumably, this offseason and could upgrade our rotation in free agency, I would love to keep Bourjos. It would provide a lot of flexibility with the DH spot. But we need pitching and Bourjos can help bring that back.

There's no use selling on Bourjos now unless there's a team that really values him and is willing to give up quite a bit. If anyone gets traded it should be Trumbo, with Bourjos, Trout, Hamilton and Calhoun serving as our OF/DH four (and I guess Shuck backing up, but hopefully playing a pretty limited amount).

Huh? Arte could spend $1 brillion a more per year on payroll if we wanted to -- there are no rules preventing Arte from offering that deal to Trout now.

Financially maybe he could.  I believe the reason he doesn't want to break the CBT limits is that to almost all of the owners it's a pride issue.  As an ownership group they see the salary levels as being detrimental to baseball in the long run, and they know there has to be some reasoning to make the playing field a somewhat fair one between teams.  So yes, he could break the CBT limits, but it makes him look hypocritical to point out this is bad for baseball all the while exceeding the limits for his own team.  He loses credibility with the other ownership groups if he doesn't set limits that could harm the competitive balance.  If it's just about who wants to spend the most money to win at all costs just what kind of sport is this, it's not, it becomes just a money game, and you have completely destroyed the competitive balance.

Edited by tomsred