• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Alden Gonzalez Blog Post re: No Trout Extension

YouthofToday

Why rush?  The longer you wait, the less incentive Trout has to sign the extension.    That simple.  If you wait another year, Trout will hit ARB and will be guaranteed at least 10 million.   If they do not want to go over the salary cap then offer Trout a 20 year deal with an opt out after 10.  Heavy load the contract for his first ten years.  Or trade Kendrick and Ianetta (saves about 10 million) trade Trumbo (will probably make more in arb than PB) and make space for the money!

This might sound selfish since it is Arte's money, but if he's not willing to go over the luxury tax for at least 1-2 years to lock up who could end up being the greatest Angel of all time then I will lose a lot of interest in following this team. He's got the money to dole out ridiculous contracts to Pujols and Hamilton for what they did for another team, he should be willing to take a little hit to lock up the organizations best player.

If he isn't willing to do that, f**k him.

I would add Vernon to that list as well, tdawg. Obviously they didn't hand him that contract, but it's a ridiculous contract they took on.

And ya, if Arte is unwilling to go past the luxury tax, all of those shortsighted expenditures he made that already look pretty bad look even worse.

Edited by jshep

Why rush? The longer you wait, the less incentive Trout has to sign the extension. That simple. If you wait another year, Trout will hit ARB and will be guaranteed at least 10 million. If they do not want to go over the salary cap then offer Trout a 20 year deal with an opt out after 10. Heavy load the contract for his first ten years. Or trade Kendrick and Ianetta (saves about 10 million) trade Trumbo (will probably make more in arb than PB) and make space for the money!

Nice, a 20 year contract.

This might sound selfish since it is Arte's money, but if he's not willing to go over the luxury tax for at least 1-2 years to lock up who could end up being the greatest Angel of all time then I will lose a lot of interest in following this team. He's got the money to dole out ridiculous contracts to Pujols and Hamilton for what they did for another team, he should be willing to take a little hit to lock up the organizations best player.

If he isn't willing to do that, f**k him.

this x 1000, and it's really starting to feel like it's heading in that direction. 

I agree that they should sign Trout this off season.  If Arte has to take a hit with the tax, so be it.

They can trade Trumbo and Kendrick or Aybar for a couple of pitching prospects (making the minimum), then that frees up about $13M (adding back in the 2 pitchers) .  If they non-tender Hanson and Williams, again that reduces the payroll even further.  Since both Wells and Blanton will be coming off the books after next year, Arte would only be taking the hit next year.

Will it be easy, no, but I think it needs to be done.

Nice, a 20 year contract.

I think he is saying it to get around the luxury tax.  Like the old hockey contracts that were 15 years long but the last 7 years were at league minimum.  It helps bring down the AAV.  The player just retires after the bulk of the money is paid out.  Those contracts aren't legal in hockey anymore and I would imagine baseball would have a fit if the Angels tried it.  They already banned the Pujols deal with the 10 year service contract at 1 million per year.

IF Trout does leave for the highest bidder, the gnashing of teeth about how greedy Trout is is going to be legendary.

will depend on how things shake out exactly, but I foresee it being much more about how the org's gross incompetence led to letting a potentially all-time great slip through their fingers.  I'm guessing the vitriol will be aimed more at the team than Trout.

I don't know what I'll do if Trout chooses to leave to go back home. It will suck and I am sure a lot of people will blame the organization even if Trout never had any intention of staying.

I think that when the time is right the organization will make a legit but reasonable offer to sign him long term. If it's not enough then so be it. 

That is simply not true.

That is simply true.  Trout has an incentive to sign with the Angels long term because the angels control his rights and he is only guaranteed just about 500 k next year.  A lot could happen in a year.  That is why if he is given a big contract this off season there would be no doubt in my mind that he signs.  However, if they wait to offer the extension than the leverage the Angels have disappear and all leverage goes to Trout.

IF Trout does leave for the highest bidder, the gnashing of teeth about how greedy Trout is is going to be legendary.

If Trout leaves to the highest bidder it will be because the Angels were stupid enough to wait too long to offer an extension.  In that case it would be the Angel's who F'd up.  

There is no reason for Trout not to accept a big long-term contract, even if he wants to play on the east coast. Why? Because if a superstar asks to be traded, they generally get their wish.

If I were Trout I'd be looking for a seven-year contract, which would make him a free agent at age 29.

The irony about Trout is that even if he only stays four more years and runs for free agency to the Yankees or Phillies, he'll probably be the all-time Angels WAR leader even only playing six years. He only needs about 22 to pass Jim Fregosi and 25 to pass Chuck Finley.