• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Punk

If you want your team to tank the season then you are a loser, period. I'm guessing you've played sports before, did you ever try to lose or not care if you won or not? If you answered yes then you are a loser. I can understand being ok with a rebuild where you trade away your assets but that can't really happen here, so the rebuild will have to happen after next season when everyone comes off the books.

The lottery is in place to keep teams from tanking. Look at how many times the TWolves sucked and had a lottery pick, yet they never got a #1 pick. If Wiggins is who you desire, no amount of tanking will guarantee that #1 spot to get him. Chances are greater, yes. But if it's not a guarantee, then it makes no sense to purposely tank an entire season.

This is a calculated tank.  Don't ask the players to give less than 100%.  But if you are the GM, fill the roster with 1-year contracts for marginally talented or past their prime ballplayers and the losses will take care of themselves.  If Kobe delays his return by a month or two, combined with the age on the roster and general lack of talent, this team cannot compete for a playoff spot and at the very worst would be drafting 14th.

Ultimately, the Lakers don't have to get the #1 overall pick.  Anywhere in the top 5 or so and they will get a solid player (Jabari Parker, Julius Randall, Andrew Wiggins, Marcus Smart, Andrew Harrison, Willie Cauley-Stein, Big Dog Jr., a few others) that could contribute very quickly.  There will likely be some complimentary players further down the draft so swapping Pau for youth and draft choices would be a smart move either prior to the season or at the trade deadline.

I don't think it's a calculated tank for a pick I think it's more so them not wanting to commit a lot of money beyond next season and realizing there's no signing or trade that's going to make them a contender next year.  The teams that always seem to hover in the 6-8 spot when they do make the playoffs don't fully rebuild and always do enough to be first or second round fodder but are never a threat.  By not committing money now they're making the push to rebuild or retool as quick as possible while still possibly having someone like Kobe on the roster.  If they snag a big FA then that can happen quicker but the lottery and draft are still pretty much a crapshoot.  Don't get me wrong there's guys that produce and next years draft might look deep on paper but with most drafts a few years after you barely recognize half the guys taken in the lottery because they aren't producing. 

I'm fine with the following team for 2013-2014.

Gasol, Kaman, Hill, Sacre, Kelly, Bryant, Meeks, Nash, Farmar, Blake, Morris, and Goudelock

It won't win an NBA title, but it will have a chance at making the post-season (albeit not a great one). 

Just hang on until the next FA class a year from now.

I'm fine with the following team for 2013-2014.

Gasol, Kaman, Hill, Sacre, Kelly, Bryant, Meeks, Nash, Farmar, Blake, Morris, and Goudelock

It won't win an NBA title, but it will have a chance at making the post-season (albeit not a great one). 

Just hang on until the next FA class a year from now.

Holy crap.  That this lineup is potentially what we are looking at is scary. Next season's going to be rough. 

Well, for the veteran minimum we could've done a ton worse.  This guy is athletic and if he has a resurgence, we'd have the money next year to sign him to a longer term deal that wouldn't break the bank.  Could be a nice complimentary player if things break right.  And if not, it's just the vet minimum.

This may put my Laker fan-card in jeopardy, but I wouldn't mind *seeing the Lakers struggle this season.  The aging core will likely miss some games and the role players could have difficulty competing on a nightly basis if some of the vets (Kobe, Gasol, Nash) are in/out of the lineup with injuries.  Combine that with the remainder of the west continuing to be good (Spurs, Grizzlies, Clips, Thunder, Nuggets, Warriors, Rockets) or potentially being better than last season (T-Wolves, Mavs, Kings, Trailblazers, Jazz), and the Lakers could pretty easily be a non-playoff, lottery team....and potentially have a Top 10 pick.  I could handle one season of suck if it provided a few decent building blocks moving forward to combine with our cap space next summer.

*And by "seeing" I actually mean not seeing as I'm living up near Portland and only get a handful of games per year on the tube.  Less exposure would make one bad season a lot easier to take.