• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Any true Angel fan should be rooting for L's

And the boys sure came through tonight in a big way. I mean, look. I hate Angel losses as much as any other diehard Angel fan. But, this opportunity is too good to pass up. A top 5 position would go a long way toward rebuilding the farm system. And, although there are no guarantees that the team will be able to get a gem of a player, keep in mind that there were 22 teams that could have prevented us from drafting the greatest baseball player to ever live.

And, at this point winning only hurts us. If we're gonna suck like this, we might as well make it worthwhile. If I were Scioscia, Blanton would appear in every remaining game, either starting or pitching the 8th or 9th. That's some kind of nightmare that I wouldn't want to wish on anybody.

I know some of you guys already think I'm an idiot. But, long term, big picture, this is what's best for the Angels. I mean, Mike Trout deserves to play on a good team.

This is an unfortunate time of year when we all realize, we will not be in the post-season.  Nothing can change that this year.

So, the team has some young guys playing and I like seeing if they have a future with the team.  I like watching Green, Nelson, Calhoun, etc.  I also like watching if the team has any future pitcher prospects that can get some major league experience.  I like watching Richards improve as a starter. 

I never wish the players and team don't succeed.

Anyone who wishes for losses surely cannot be an Angels fan.

And I believe that teaching the younger players how to win, and developing confidence they can win in any situation, is more important than positioning in the draft.  Unless you getting one of the top 3 or 4 choices in the draft (which we are not), the difference between 5th and 15th is negligible (our most likely range).

And I believe that teaching the younger players how to win, and developing confidence they can win in any situation, is more important than positioning in the draft.  Unless you getting one of the top 3 or 4 choices in the draft (which we are not), the difference between 5th and 15th is negligible (our most likely range).

Strongly disagree there. Also, confidence is a false notion. That's like saying momentum will carry over the offseason - there is no such thing as that.

Confidence is a false notion?  Have you played sports?  How do you explain hitting streaks or winning streaks?  How do you explain big rallies?  

Of course confidence matters.  Now maybe you were just referring to confidence from season to season and that could be debated.

Hitting streaks and winning streaks are random statistical variations that occur in a players performance. Confidence has nothing to do with it. It's called regression to the mean. If a player is a lifetime .260/.330/.440 hitter, but he hits .330/.390/.540 one month, then .170/.260/.350 the next month, do you really think it has anything to do with confidence? It doesn't. It's basic statistics.

Edited by FireThemAll

I can't say I'm really enjoying watching Chris Nelson at 3B.  Callaspo was good for .250 to .280 with good defense.  Nelson seems good for .230 and decent defense.  Not much to get excited about.

I think the Angels would be better off promoting Lucho and letting him take his lumps at 3B.  

I'd also expect them to work Green out extensively at 3B in the offseason in hopes of him being an adequate option there.  Otherwise I really don't know what the Angels are going to do for 3B in 2014.  They don't seem like the type of ball club that's willing to mail it in and rebuild, but at the same time I can't see any circumstance in which Chris Nelson is considered a good option as an everyday starter there. 

They've resisted moving Howie to 3B and have already stated publicly that Trumbo will not be a 3B in the future.  The free agent options include Youkilis (back), Reynolds (crappiness), and Michael Young (.267 hitter with no power and negative defensive value).  There really doesn't seem to be a trade market for 3B either.  

Looks like their left with nothing to do but to accept a gigantic hole on the left side. 

Actually just before they went on this most recent 4 game winning streak they were 1 game from the Top 4 pick. So Top 3 or 4 is possible. In fact they are only 2 games from a Top 5 pick

Edited by tennischmp

Actually just before they went on this most recent 4 game winning streak they were 1 game from the Top 4 pick. So Top 3 or 4 is possible. In fact they are only 3 games from a Top 5 pick

And we play a very hard schedule the rest of the way. Still have to play Tampa 5 more times, the Rangers 7 more times, and the A's 6 more times. Could easily see us losing the vast majority of those games.

I believe that losing on purpose causes more detriment to a team than the draft position they gain from it.

- The FO needs to evaluate their players til the end so they accurately make the correct moves in the off-season.

- Baseball is a game of learning and adjustments. The only way a player can improve is to constantly work on their craft.

- Only a fraction of the population has the ability to play professional sports. Then add that those professionals will only play 10-15 years of their life playing at that level. So I find it wrong that a coach or organization tells them to waste that finite opportunity to throw away games.

- MLB players made it to the pros because they are competitive by nature. I'm not even sure if a player can turn that edge off because a coach/organization tells them to.

- Losing games on purpose devalues the roster. Not all players are playing with guaranteed contracts. They are showcasing their talent in case they are not retained by the club. You also have players in their arbitration years in which raises look at their personal stats. The team will also compromise the trade value of their players.

- MLB needs teams to play at their fullest for the integrity of the sport. There are many teams still fighting for a playoff spot in which the Angels play part in being spoilers. I take enjoyment knowing that the Angels may play spoilers to a team I can't stand. I also don't want to see other teams mail it in when the Angels are the one's competing for a playoff berth.

I don't mind if the Angels lose because they are trying something different on the field. The team needs to find other methods to improve the team they currently have on the roster. Obviously the philosophy needs to be tweaked going into next year.

Finally, I hate losing.

There is a difference between players on the team losing on purpose and fans who are not playing wanting the team to lose so they can get a #1 pick.

Like fans who are not playing that say confidence is a farce. Although actual MLB players will tell you confidence is the single most important factor.

This team was 10-20 in spring and 9-17 in April. They basically showed up DOA.  

Happens every year with Scioscia at the helm. He runs his Spring Training so lackadaisical compared to other teams. I see other teams running harder drills than the Angels every year at Spring Training. Most of the Angels drills are lazy ground balls, and light jogging. For example, this year I saw the Red Sox at Spring Training in Florida...those guys drill hard, run sprints, and are just generally more focused/in shape than the Angels players. It's never going to change with Mike Scioscia as our manager.