• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto or Scioscia gone in offseason

Fullmer17

2009 was a pivotal year IMO as well.  Agreed that Figgins/Vlad/Lackey were all good decisions - the problem is that that should have been a clear indication to the FO that it was time to regroup for a couple of years and not spend big money in FA or make "go for it" trades that hurt in the long term - which is unfortunately exactly what they did.  The infrastructure of the roster was weakened considerably after 2009 and we've been playing Jenga with it ever since.

Totally 100% true and what I felt as well. They should have rebuilt retooled and let the team have some down years replenish and we would be fine. Except we made stupid trades, made even stupider signings in FA that now is gonna hand cuff us in the future. We never had our moment of fail rebuild through draft and restart. We just continued to bandaid a failed team.

Tony La Russa will be hired as GM with Scioscia staying as the manager for now. All baseball decisions will be made by La Russa and he will have the ability to fire Mike. That's my prediction. 

Um Why do we need a 100 year old GM to fire Mike? I will pass. How about someone who knows what direction this team should go in. No matter if we lose 100 games the next year or two and come back. But this group of losers will not be winning anything.

Um Why do we need a 100 year old GM to fire Mike? I will pass. How about someone who knows what direction this team should go in. No matter if we lose 100 games the next year or two and come back. But this group of losers will not be winning anything.

I didn't say he would fire him, just that he could. Arte likes big names and La Russa has said he is interested in FO position. It's just a guess.  La Russa has also said he would not have signed Albert and he has been spending time with Dave Dombrowski. I think they could do and have done a lot worse then La Russa. 

Trumbo was not that good, and if you think the 2011 Angels team were as good as the 2011 Rangers then I can't help you. I also noticed you just skipped over 2010, so I guess you agree that team didn't underperform? 

Where did I skip over 2010? I guess when I mentioned Trumbo's emergence in 2011...but the stupid baserunning certainly didn't begin suddenly in 2011...

This team should have been a better than .500 team in 2010, despite Morales' injury. It certainly should have performed better than the A's...

Scioscia's teams have had an annoying habit of just skipping April. 2010 was no exception, as they dug themselves into a 12-18 hole by May 6, and 15-21 on May 12.

Even after the grand slam that knocked K-Mo out for the next season and a half on May 29, they still won 8 of 9 to go into first place on June 7. They were still only 3 1/2 games out as late as late as July 17. So they were still competitive before going into the typical late-season crapper.

In 2011, they were 80-65 and only a game and a half out on September 10 before going 6-11 down the stretch.

In 2012, they were slow out of the gate, almost caught up until Scioscia's bad night on August 1, which catapulted into a putrid August that they never came out of.

In 2013, they started out slow, again, and never recovered.

So, they've had teams that could win if not for really shitty starts (2010, 2012-2013) and really shitty Augusts and/or Septembers (2010-2013). Do you see a pattern here? I certainly do.

Where did I skip over 2010? I guess when I mentioned Trumbo's emergence in 2011...but the stupid baserunning certainly didn't begin suddenly in 2011...

This team should have been a better than .500 team in 2010, despite Morales' injury. It certainly should have performed better than the A's...

Scioscia's teams have had an annoying habit of just skipping April. 2010 was no exception, as they dug themselves into a 12-18 hole by May 6, and 15-21 on May 12.

Even after the grand slam that knocked K-Mo out for the next season and a half on May 29, they still won 8 of 9 to go into first place on June 7. They were still only 3 1/2 games out as late as late as July 17. So they were still competitive before going into the typical late-season crapper.

In 2011, they were 80-65 and only a game and a half out on September 10 before going 6-11 down the stretch.

In 2012, they were slow out of the gate, almost caught up until Scioscia's bad night on August 1, which catapulted into a putrid August that they never came out of.

In 2013, they started out slow, again, and never recovered.

So, they've had teams that could win if not for really shitty starts (2010, 2011-2013) and really shitty Augusts and/or Septembers (2010-2013). Do you see a pattern here? I certainly do.

I disagree about the 2010 team, in no way did I think they were a playoff team. Like I said before, I agree about the 2012 team but again if they had a decent closer to start the season would  it have made a difference? I think it would have. I just don't think the manager makes that big of a difference compared to the roster of players on the field. So I blame Dipoto a lot more then MS. 

I don't think Dipoto is good enough to run a perennial contender that Arte envisions.  He also doesn't have the clout, obviously, to properly influence his owner.  So my hope is that Arte gets himself a GM that he will listen to and let that GM make the call on manager and everything else.  Stoneman would be perfect, as this franchise's downward spiral started with his replacement.

But that won't happen.

Sciosh has been stewing for a while now, from his loss of influence in the org seen in a move away from defense/little ball, to the firing of Hacker.  I think he's gonna force Arte's hand and accept a termination agreement to walk.  It's gonna be Sciosh who goes.

I like how people are claiming "Dipoto ruined this franchise." As if he walked into the 2013 Cardinals team and turned them into the Astros over night. The farm system was already one of the worst in the league coming into the 2012 season, so resources for making trades were low. The Pujols and Hamilton signings appear to have been influenced by Arte. The only moves I can really say I disliked from Dipoto thus far are the Greinke trade and Blanton signing. Its a lot more on the coaches fault that our guys are going out there throwing balls and making boneheaded moves all over the field while swinging at garbage. 

Arte needs to put someone in the GM position he respects.  Then everything else will take care of itself, including the managerial position and coaching staff.  Unfortunately, I don't know who that is, I think Arte is the only one who can answer that question.  It's time to move on, and for the fans to get onboard for whatever he decides.

When was the last time a GM was fired only after two seasons? That said, my prediction:

1. Dipoto relieved of duties after the season.

2. Team underperforms again and wins 75 games in 2014.

3. Team "underperforms" in 2015 and wins less than 80 games.

4. 2016: Scioscia extended

4. November 2017: Trout signs with Yankees for $300 million +.

6. 2018 Angels have no fan base and Arte spreads lies and slander about Trout Larry Lucchino style to the media.

7. Late 2018: Arte is through with baseball and sells team to Frank McCourt to spite those that "wronged" him.

8. 2021 last year of the Albert Pujols. (Date corrected as edit).

When was the last time a GM was fired only after two seasons? That said, my prediction:

1. Dipoto relieved of duties after the season.

2. Team underperforms again and wins 75 games in 2014.

3. Team "underperforms" in 2015 and wins less than 80 games.

4. 2016: Scioscia extended

4. November 2017: Trout signs with Yankees for $300 million +.

6. 2018 Angels have no fan base and Arte spreads lies and slander about Trout Larry Lucchino style to the media.

7. Late 2018: Arte is through with baseball and sells team to Frank McCourt to spite those that "wronged" him.

8. 2011 last year of the Albert Pujols.

Wait....2011 was the last year of the Albert Pujols? Awesome!

Well I hope Scioscia goes. I agree Mr. Dipoto did get some suck ass players, Maybe that's all he could get with the money they had which we don't know, and how much the players agent is asking for, etc.

The problem I see is the player sucks and Scioscia keeps putting in the players in the game, so it's his fault. Scioscia makes the lineup card, and he put the relieve pitchers in the game IE Blanton, Jepsen which always leads to a loss, but he just keeps putting them in. I think and hope Scioscia goes.

Scioscia just doesn't show any fire anymore, and player's just don't respond to him. There need's to be a change, and the sooner the better.

I agree Scioscia has time on his contract and has to do what the Angels tell him. I say send him to coach the minor league team, put him in the announcers both, have him clean the clubhouse and do their laundry and thing they can come up with to make him earn his money. I think he would just want to quit and void out his contract or be traded to another team. I hope Mr. Moreno has learned and won't make the mistakes again. Mr. Moreno is the owner not GM, he has a scouting staff, and GM listen to what they say and think the Angels need and not get a person because they have a name.

Mr. Moreno may or may have not interfere with who was signed, and I think he did.

I just hope the right changes happen and make the team better.

The first thing is to get rid of Scioscia and then sign Trout to a long term contract and then get rid of Blanton, Jepsen, Hansen, and again try to rebuild the relieve pitching, and 3rd baseman.

My guess is Dipoto will go as he should. I don't think Scioscia is going to be let go knowing his track record before 2010. Dipoto has no track record other than destroying this franchise.

You don't destroy a franchise in a year and a half, nor do you rebuild it in that length of time. Keep Dipoto, change managers.

Firing a GM 2 years into the job doesn't look good on the org. This team is goin the way of the Raiders. A meddling owner and going through GMs every other year. Dipoto did not have a good offseason, don't get me wrong, but you don't cut the chord that quickly. They screwed up in the first place by hiring a GM who has a very different style to that of the teams current manager. This is why usually in sports when a new regime comes in, they usually bring in their own head coaches etc. Mike and Jerry just never meshed.

Under different circumstances Dipoto should have more time, but his toxic relationship with Scioscia is going to force a change. From what I read in those articles, sounds like Moreno might be bad-mouthing Dipoto, which is not a positive sign.

What I read into this is what I suspected all along: That Scioscia was pulling Tony Reagins' strings and he was essentially acting as both GM and manager. Now we have an independent GM who won't be ruled by the field manager, and Scioscia doesn't like it. The first outward signs of friction came when Dipoto canned Mickey Hatcher, who was Scioscia's friend but who was completely unproductive as a coach.