• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Weaver is not an ace anymore

NrM

I don't understand a lot of the Weaver hate on here.  The guy signed a team friendly contract and despite his decline is still the second best pitcher on our team.  But yes, lets hate on him because he didn't continue to be a sub-3.00 ERA pitcher for the rest of his career.  I do not believe he will ever be the ace of the Angels or any team ever again, but he still continues to be a solid pitcher (albeit mostly at home).  

Weaver is basically a #3 at home and nearly unstartable on the road.

I'm quite glad his contract is up after 2016.

Is anybody in favor of extending him?

Well that depends on how this year and the next pans out (for Weaver and for our 3 young guys).  Weaver had a 19 game stretch this year where he posted a 2.98 ERA.  Not exactly a small sample size.  The first three games of the season and his last 3 games have made up the rest of his starts.  Meaning he has had some VERY rough patches, but they have been short lived and for the most part has pitched very well.  If he gets back on track like his history suggests, then he should post a sub-3.50 ERA.  If he posts an ERA around 3.50 next year as well then I would say yes, re-sign him.  Just don't place him as our #1 guy.  He will most likely give the Angels a team friendly contract so why not re-sign him? Just because he isn't the same guy he was a few years ago?  The alternative is to overpay for another starter who gives us the same production and costs us a draft pick.  We already need another solid SP.  But even if we obtain a #1 or #2 guy then that leaves us with Richards, Weaver, Wilson, and three guys who haven't shown any kind of consistency to fill the back two spots.  Without Weaver or Wilson (Wilson should DEFINITELY not be re-signed) we just have 3 guys with no consistency.  If we are lucky and all three of our young guys pan out then I guess let Weaver go, but otherwise why not have a vet on the team that has been a life long Angel who is an extreme competitor?

Edited by AngelsFanSince86

There is no Weaver hate from this corner. His contract, short of a very serious injury in the next 18 months, will end up being an amazingly team friendly deal. Weaver has been a crucial player for this team throughout his entire career - including 2014.

That said, I'm not sure how calling him a back of the rotation starter on the road (he is) and basically a #2-3 at home equates to hatred.

Time will tell, and I hope I am wrong, yet I doubt Weaver will be a 3-4 WAR SP when he reaches FA after 2016.

I absolutely hope this team can resign him on a slightly team friendly deal after 2015 or so.

I don't see this team having any sort of surplus of starting pitching come 2016 and there is going to be necessity to fill out the rotation.  Weave will likely fit into that nicely.  In the interim, he is what he is because he is under contract and he's going to get his starts regardless of where we mentally assign him.  I would imagine that regardless of whether he was once a front line guy for this team, his performance will be looked upon appropriately and the necessary adjustments will be made to the rotation.  Or at least there will be an attempt to do so.  

Im all for thread bumps. Not to call people out, but its entertaining to see how certain players / trends are viewed long term.

That said, in terms of weaver...the title is correct. Now. But was it when this thread started (I didnt sigt through to see when it was created, but off the top of my head it was 2013).

Hes gotten older, and will continue to. Hes no longer an ace, and by next season hes most likely (idealy at least) a 3/4. But hes had a hell of a career here, and for a decent amount of time was a top tier pitcher

There is no Weaver hate from this corner. His contract, short of a very serious injury in the next 18 months, will end up being an amazingly team friendly deal. Weaver has been a crucial player for this team throughout his entire career - including 2014.

That said, I'm not sure how calling him a back of the rotation starter on the road (he is) and basically a #2-3 at home equates to hatred.

Time will tell, and I hope I am wrong, yet I doubt Weaver will be a 3-4 WAR SP when he reaches FA after 2016.

I absolutely hope this team can resign him on a slightly team friendly deal after 2015 or so.

Yeah I didn't mean to group you in there which is why I chose to write that tidbit above your quote.  Just wanted to answer the question you posed.  The first statement was more general and isn't specific to just this thread.

So, if you assume that the spot in the rotation doesn't matter, who starts our one game playoff, Weaver or Richards?

I think it should come down to who is pitching better at the time.  If Richards has some rough starts right before the season ends and Weaver has been lights out in those same starts and his stuff looks good then why not go with the vet?

Depends where.  If its any HR friendly park (TEX, HOU, CHI, TOR), definitely Richards but I'd go with Weaver at home.

This is a very good point as well.  I think it is important to consider how they have been pitching at the end of the season (hot or slumping?) and then where they will be pitching.  If Weaver has been solid in his last couple starts and the one game playoff is at home then I would definitely go with him because you know the mental game won't get to him.

the way it is going much will depend on how we end the final week of the season -- if we are battling  a go for broke 'win the AL West' race down to the wire and have to utilize the top of the rotation right to the last day of the season -- Halos may not have too many choices/ options available to pitch the one game W/C if we fall into that playoff spot and then if that game is won, to start the ALDS.......these rotation decisions may be pretty much made for us depending on the circumstances....

and the way things are going right now (and these next four games will be a good indicator) there's a possibility we may be battling just to get that second W/C spot -- now, I am not sure, but I assume that the Number One Wild Card team gets home field.

• 3 weeks later...

Agree with AJ. Weaver isnt in the same conversation as a kershaw, a felox, a sale etc. But hes still a solid solid front end pitcher. Richards' this year was an ace, and the combo of the 2 has been pretty rad. Shoe and santiago bring it all together for a suprisingly good rotation. If CJ was still CJ, it would be pretty dominant

Kudos to weaver for still getting it done

Even I can admit he isn't an ace these days, but he is still very capable of having ace like performances. It is starts like last night that allows there to be an argument on who should start a one game playoff. Weaver can step up and do what he did last night, then he will have games where he misses his spots and the ball goes over 400 feet.

Weaver is still an ace when he pitches at home.

Home

2.69 ERA

ERA+ 130

OPS .599

Road

4.75 ERA

ERA+ 84

OPS .787

At Home: Still an ace

On the road: replacement level.

The Angels should think about only pitching him at Home. This goes the same for playoff games.

Edited by Poozy

• 7 months later...