• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why isn't Jo Adell getting more playing time?

When judging individuals you can't  neglect the trends in the sport itself.  For instance, here is an interesting analytic/stats based comparison between this year, last year and beyond. Seems hitters are worse off despite the rule changes. Batting averages the lowest since 1968! Maybe all the bad stats on the Angels hitters are just normalized examples found throughout the game now. 

https://www.si.com/mlb/diamondbacks/offense-is-down-across-mlb-and-rob-manfred-cant-be-happy

16 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

When judging individuals you can't  neglect the trends in the sport itself.  For instance, here is an interesting analytic/stats based comparison between this year, last year and beyond. Seems hitters are worse off despite the rule changes. Batting averages the lowest since 1968! Maybe all the bad stats on the Angels hitters are just normalized examples found throughout the game now

https://www.si.com/mlb/diamondbacks/offense-is-down-across-mlb-and-rob-manfred-cant-be-happy

It's partly that, but it's also a function of the lineup being extremely top-heavy until very recently.  For a while, it was three guys with .800-.900+ OPS, and then a bunch of dudes in the .400-.500s.  Now it's getting spread out a little more.  Overall, the Angels are now 7th in the AL in runs scored per game, and their team slash line (.239/.308/.379) is very close to the AL averages in all three categories (.234/.307/.377).

It's the run prevention that has been more of an issue: they're still 13th in the AL in runs allowed per game.

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

He went from CF to 1B, and then back, which is different from a natural 1B going to CF. 

Edmonds too. 

Edmonds blew out his arm trying to impress scouts while pitching (he was a better pitcher than hitter in HS).  He continued to have issues through the first two years in the minors, so the Angels were trying to transition him to 1B just in case the arm issues continued.  But ppl forget he started more games at 1B than in CF as a.rookie.

3 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

I haven't read through this whole thread, but why are we all the sudden trying to move Adell to 1B, a position at which the Angels already have a young player they're trying to develop?  Seems more like creating new problems than solving any existing ones.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I am not “trying to move Adell to 1B.”  I think he is just fine in the OF.  I was simply commenting on the idea that it is unrealistic for players to change positions, especially when people are talking about a super athletic young guy and moving to THE one position that has often historically absorbed guys getting less athletic who struggle at other positions.

I personally want Adell in the OF every game and Schanuel at 1B every game.

Edited by Dtwncbad

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Edmonds too. 

Edmonds blew out his arm trying to impress scouts while pitching (he was a better pitcher than hitter in HS).  He continued to have issues through the first two years in the minors, so the Angels were trying to transition him to 1B just in case the arm issues continued.  But ppl forget he started more games at 1B than in CF as a.rookie.

Remember when Erstad came up and, with 4 OF’ers, they knew somebody would have to move to 1b. It ended up being Erstad and, if I recall (my memory is frequently foggy), Edmonds made it clear he wasn’t moving to 1b. 

16 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Remember when Erstad came up and, with 4 OF’ers, they knew somebody would have to move to 1b. It ended up being Erstad and, if I recall (my memory is frequently foggy), Edmonds made it clear he wasn’t moving to 1b. 

26 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I am not “trying to move Adell to 1B.”  I think he is just fine in the OF.  I was simply commenting on the idea that it is unrealistic for players to change positions, especially when people are talking about a super athletic young guy and moving to THE one position that has often historically absorbed guys getting less athletic who struggle at other positions.

I personally want Adell in the OF every game and Schanuel at 1B every game.

He should be in right field as the starter now. He's made some really good plays these past few games out there. His tools would be wasted at first base in my opinion. I remember a couple of seasons ago when he was playing right field and fielded a ball somewhat near the line, and came up throwing a rocket all the way in the air to third base to nail Wil Myers going from first to third. It wasn't even close. That ball was pinpoint accurate, too. He has speed, endurance, and a great throwing arm. He also is hungry to play. Has a good work ethic, too. He absolutely deserves to be starting out there.

I think it was Cliff Floyd who the Expos moved from OF to 1B and he ended up getting his wrist broken in a collision at the bag and pretty much refused to play first anymore after that. He's also the guy who had a massive collision with Mike Cameron in the outfield. Some guys just need some space around them

7 hours ago, Taylor said:

Wait, he made the claim about me first, sir.

that's irrelevant. you just admitted a day or two ago that you purposely tried to stir things up here.