• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why isn't Jo Adell getting more playing time?

9 hours ago, Chuck said:

I 100% agree with this and it still bums me out that we didn't trade him ahead of last season or at the very least the trade deadline. 

Heard that the Dodgers were offering Michael Busch and Pepiot at the deadline. Huge swing and miss by Perry and Arte

That’s on Arte, not Perry.

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

and my all-time favorite, Andrew Velazquez. 

Squid!

He's back in AAA with Atlanta hitting .177/.257/.290/.547, almost the same slash line as last year with the Angels. I have no idea how or why he gets to take up a roster space. 

5 minutes ago, Rollinghard said:

I said long ago that Adel needs to buy a 1st base glove. Seriously, give it a try. Every ball hit his way is a hold your breath adventure. I know he was safe last night BUT how does a player make it all the way to MLB and still doesn't know how to slide? 

DH maybe his only hope. 

So lets put him at a position where he will see the ball more often? 

And at a position he has never played?

Sounds disastrous. 

26 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I'm not sure if it's an AW thing or an every baseball fan thing, but it's cute how certain folks think you can simply move a player from one position to a completely different position.

I blame Brad Pitt. 

oak GIF by MLB

1 hour ago, Rollinghard said:

I said long ago that Adel needs to buy a 1st base glove. Seriously, give it a try. Every ball hit his way is a hold your breath adventure. I know he was safe last night BUT how does a player make it all the way to MLB and still doesn't know how to slide? 

DH maybe his only hope. 

Baserunning hasn't a damn thing to do with player position. Yesterday's stolen base was well executed outside of MLB's replay booth. Putting him at 1st base doesn't make any damn sense at all. He has developed into a good right fielder with speed and power.

11 hours ago, BTH said:

That’s on Arte, not Perry.

Sorry but while Arte takes most of the blame, there needs to be push back from the GM on the team's future success. So he gets part of the blame. 

2 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Sorry but while Arte takes most of the blame, there needs to be push back from the GM on the team's future success. So he gets part of the blame. 

Arte instructed Perry to keep Ohtani rather than trade him.

3 minutes ago, Chuck said:

You also don't know if he did try and Arte just shut it down. At that point, it would be all on Arte. We just don't know that dynamic either way for sure. All we do know is this...

fail not top ten GIF

4 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Arte instructed Perry to keep Ohtani rather than trade him.

And Perry is the GM so he should be putting up some type of fight. Maybe he did? Who knows.

Honestly, I think he's a terrible GM. 

I'm giving Perry the benefit of the doubt and thinking he knew this was a sinking ship and tried to sell off last year, but Arte over ruled.  But maybe I'm giving too much credit to the fat man.  Fletcher seemed to think it was Arte last year, don't know how much of a fight Perry put up

Just now, Chuck said:

And Perry is the GM so he should be putting up some type of fight. 

Are you saying he should have gone public? That would be a career killer.

Maybe he has behind the scenes. 

I find it difficult to say he is a terrible GM considering our recent history of short-lived GM's. Seems like another entity is the constant here meanwhile the GM's are forever revolving. 

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

And Perry is the GM so he should be putting up some type of fight. Maybe he did? Who knows.

I think it’s somewhat by design the Perry doesn’t. I think Arte hires inexperienced FO executives so that they run the baseball ops the way Arte wants it run. That’s certainly his right, but it may not be the best way to construct a winning baseball team. I may be incorrect, but I feel like more accomplished GMs would not be willing to operate with those kinds of restrictions or interference.

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

A bit surprised of your Perry take. Arte is Jerry Jones, meddling owner with final say. Which of course is done on his dime so…… what’s a hired GM going to do……

42 minutes ago, Jeremiah said:

I think it’s somewhat by design the Perry doesn’t. I think Arte hires inexperienced FO executives so that they run the baseball ops the way Arte wants it run. That’s certainly his right, but it may not be the best way to construct a winning baseball team. I may be incorrect, but I feel like more accomplished GMs would be willing to operate with those kinds of restrictions or interference.

I think that's a fair assessment of this topic.

I'll just say this. The Angels ownership and front office is a complete mess. 

12 hours ago, Blarg said:

Squid!

He's back in AAA with Atlanta hitting .177/.257/.290/.547, almost the same slash line as last year with the Angels. I have no idea how or why he gets to take up a roster space. 

Guess what blew my mind yesterday? Seeing Fletcher show up in the 9th inning wearing a Braves uniform. Talk about a blessing in disguise for that dude.

9 minutes ago, Chuck said:

I think that's a fair assessment of this topic.

I'll just say this. The Angels ownership and front office is a complete mess. 

The org, the team on TV tries to sugarcoat it so much, but "Sell" flags should be in red rather than green much sooner than later.

2 hours ago, James said:

Are you saying he should have gone public? That would be a career killer.

Maybe he has behind the scenes. 

I find it difficult to say he is a terrible GM considering our recent history of short-lived GM's. Seems like another entity is the constant here meanwhile the GM's are forever revolving. 

No, I'm not saying he should have gone public. Like I said, maybe he did go behind the scenes. He just comes across as a yes man and doesn't push back much on Arte from what I understand. 

Just frustrating overall. The moves he's made haven't really worked out, but it's the moves he didn't make that have me mostly scratching my head. 

Would have been great to have brought back Reynaldo Lopez as a starter like the Braves did after signing him, and Jordan Hicks. 

When Lorenzen and Montgomery's price went down, why not sign one of them? They really thought that Sandoval, Canning, Silseth, Detmers and Anderson was a good rotation? I mean thank God Anderson has performed much better, and Detmers has looked good. But holy hell that was a rotation of question marks going into the season.

Amed Rosario who is killing it offensively can play 2B, SS and OF. Would have been another cheap signing and addition to bolster our depth. 

5 minutes ago, Chuck said:

No, I'm not saying he should have gone public. Like I said, maybe he did go behind the scenes. He just comes across as a yes man and doesn't push back much on Arte from what I understand. 

Just frustrating overall. The moves he's made haven't really worked out, but it's the moves he didn't make that have me mostly scratching my head. 

Would have been great to have brought back Reynaldo Lopez as a starter like the Braves did after signing him, and Jordan Hicks. 

Amed Rosario who is killing it offensively can play 2B, SS and OF. Would have been another cheap signing and addition to bolster our depth. 

Been frustrated with all the recent GM's. Something just tells me it isn't the GM's so much.

It's not like Perry is the first GM that has been looked at this way. If it is the GM's, it just means the ownership can't properly assess what traits and track records lead to a successful GM. 

Paramount Network John GIF by Yellowstone

I actually like what Minasian has been trying to do. He has improved the analytics, improved the minor league coaching, held off on doing stupid shit like wasting a draft pick on either Bellinger or Snell. But most important, when he got to pick his own manager I think he scored on Washington and the staff he surrounded himself with.

This team is far from a finished project but it now at least has a framework for another 5 plus years to build on. Previous teams were mercenaries and junk. I like where this team can go but this year, nobody is going to like their year end win loss record. Deal with it. 

On 4/24/2024 at 11:15 AM, Chuck said:

I 100% agree with this and it still bums me out that we didn't trade him ahead of last season or at the very least the trade deadline. 

Heard that the Dodgers were offering Michael Busch and Pepiot at the deadline. Huge swing and miss by Perry and Arte. 

That’s a young good hitting INF and a young good RHP.

Arte the smuck

That said, agree with what Blarg said previously.    Don’t know if Minasian pushed hard enough for the Ohtani trade to happen, but at least other areas are starting to be addressed.

Edited by Angel Oracle

3 hours ago, Taylor said:

I'm not sure if it's an AW thing or an every baseball fan thing, but it's cute how certain folks think you can simply move a player from one position to a completely different position.

You might check throughout baseball history for the, oh about one million times a player moves from one position to another.

It obviously depends on the player and the positions.

Talk about moving a catcher to short?  No.

Talk about moving a SS to third?  Yeah it’s happened plenty.

Talk about a CF moving to LF?  Yeah, realistic.

Talk about  SS going to CF?  Yeah, realistic.

Talk about a 1B going to center?  Probably not.

But you know where lots and lots of players move to if they change positions?  1B.  3B, 2B, C, and OF have regularly moved to 1B throughout baseball history, especially if they are less athletic than they used to be.

So if you want make fun of people suggesting maybe it’s possible for a young, highly athletic OF that is 6’3” to maybe move to 1B, be my guest, but you would be wrong.

Maybe Adell wouldn’t be able to do it.  But a discussion about considering it isn’t out of bounds at all, especially when you consider much of his trouble defensively has been jumps on balls and taking bad routes.

Notice nobody has suggested they throw catchers gear on him.  Yeah, changing positions can be a project but it’s not like player moving to first base is some crazy thing that never happens.  Going to 1B is probably the position change that happens the most, and plenty of immobile less athletic guys have been able to do it.

8 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

You might check throughout baseball history for the, oh about one million times a player moves from one position to another.

It obviously depends on the player and the positions.

Talk about moving a catcher to short?  No.

Talk about moving a SS to third?  Yeah it’s happened plenty.

Talk about a CF moving to LF?  Yeah, realistic.

Talk about  SS going to CF?  Yeah, realistic.

Talk about a 1B going to center?  Probably not.

But you know where lots and lots of players move to if they change positions?  1B.  3B, 2B, C, and OF have regularly moved to 1B throughout baseball history, especially if they are less athletic than they used to be.

So if you want make fun of people suggesting maybe it’s possible for a young, highly athletic OF that is 6’3” to maybe move to 1B, be my guest, but you would be wrong.

Maybe Adell wouldn’t be able to do it.  But a discussion about considering it isn’t out of bounds at all, especially when you consider much of his trouble defensively has been jumps on balls and taking bad routes.

Notice nobody has suggested they throw catchers gear on him.  Yeah, changing positions can be a project but it’s not like player moving to first base is some crazy thing that never happens.  Going to 1B is probably the position change that happens the most, and plenty of immobile less athletic guys have been able to do it.

hall of famers that changed positions, just off the top of my head:

tony perez

johnny bench

cal ripken

robin yount

rod carew

babe ruth

not in the hall but changed:

pete rose

brian downing

steve garvey

kendrys morales

rick ankiel

probably dozens and dozens more that could be added to this list.