• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why isn't Jo Adell getting more playing time?

If Jo Adel is playing MLB five years from now it will be as a DH. I assume he has played baseball since his youth. So if he hasn't figured out how to catch a flyball or to slide by now he is not going to figure it out, period. He could try 1st base but he would probably suck there too. I don't know who got him to let the ball travel, see the ball longer and use the whole field but he looks like a completely different hitter this year. He may turn out to be a great DH. 

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

By botching that fly ball to right you mean, Trout was calling him off and he differed to Trout?  Only to have the ball bounce off his leg.

On that play Adell did not move out of the way after being called off. The ball bouncing off his leg on the fly shows he didn't give Trout the lane. That was the discussion Torii had with him in the dugout, when called off you move to a backup position, not continue to a catch position.

Adell has done a very good job with his hitting but his defense still needs Torii to help him. Which is fine since this is the year to make him a major, instead of minor league outfielder, as the team as a whole works out the youth movement growing pains. 

1 hour ago, Rollinghard said:

If Jo Adel is playing MLB five years from now it will be as a DH. I assume he has played baseball since his youth. So if he hasn't figured out how to catch a flyball or to slide by now he is not going to figure it out, period. He could try 1st base but he would probably suck there too. I don't know who got him to let the ball travel, see the ball longer and use the whole field but he looks like a completely different hitter this year. He may turn out to be a great DH. 

So you admit he has developed as a hitter but no way he can develop as a defender? 

24 minutes ago, James said:

So you admit he has developed as a hitter but no way he can develop as a defender? 

The guy is so athletic, he should be able to figure it out. Unless he is missing something between the ears.

5 hours ago, Stradling said:

By botching that fly ball to right you mean, Trout was calling him off and he differed to Trout?  Only to have the ball bounce off his leg.  Of course it is allowed for you to be critical, when it makes sense. That play, where he is called off and gives the right away to Trout, getting upset at him about that is the equivalent of getting upset at him about his base running after he gets called out stealing a base, and the replay shows he was safe.  So yea, get upset when he drops a ball, or makes an awful throw to the wrong base, be critical when it makes sense to be critical, not just because it is Jo and something happened.

fair enough.

my criticism is not based on just that one single play. on saturday night, he misplayed a fly ball because he couldn't commit to diving for it or letting it bounce. the ball got past him and the batter got on base. mistakes in the outfield happen, but as players mature, the mistakes should reduce. i'm not sure what the numbers say about him, but it doesn't seem like adell's defensive play is improving. maybe the numbers will support this or prove me wrong. 

as far as his base-running goes, i'm not upset at all about at him about the umps botching the stolen base call. but things like not sliding or running past the base are a different issue.

Edited by Tank

After reading what Marsh had to say... I'm guessing (purely guessing) Adell probably feels like he's walking on eggshells a lot of the time.  I think he puts a lot of pressure on himself and sometimes that leads to bone head plays.  He is probably hyper aware of his mistakes and is always looking over his shoulder when they happen. 

I could be totally wrong.

8 minutes ago, T.G. said:

After reading what Marsh had to say... I'm guessing (purely guessing) Adell probably feels like he's walking on eggshells a lot of the time.  I think he puts a lot of pressure on himself and sometimes that leads to bone head plays.  He is probably hyper aware of his mistakes and is always looking over his shoulder when they happen. 

I think you're right. All the evidence points to the Angels being a shitty organization for developing prospects. 

1 hour ago, T.G. said:

I think this is really, really well-stated.