• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why isn't Jo Adell getting more playing time?

14 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

You might check throughout baseball history for the, oh about one million times a player moves from one position to another.

It obviously depends on the player and the positions.

Talk about moving a catcher to short?  No.

Talk about moving a SS to third?  Yeah it’s happened plenty.

Talk about a CF moving to LF?  Yeah, realistic.

Talk about  SS going to CF?  Yeah, realistic.

Talk about a 1B going to center?  Probably not.

But you know where lots and lots of players move to if they change positions?  1B.  3B, 2B, C, and OF have regularly moved to 1B throughout baseball history, especially if they are less athletic than they used to be.

So if you want make fun of people suggesting maybe it’s possible for a young, highly athletic OF that is 6’3” to maybe move to 1B, be my guest, but you would be wrong.

Maybe Adell wouldn’t be able to do it.  But a discussion about considering it isn’t out of bounds at all, especially when you consider much of his trouble defensively has been jumps on balls and taking bad routes.

Notice nobody has suggested they throw catchers gear on him.  Yeah, changing positions can be a project but it’s not like player moving to first base is some crazy thing that never happens.  Going to 1B is probably the position change that happens the most, and plenty of immobile less athletic guys have been able to do it.

One million times. Please list just ten that were successful.

4 hours ago, Chuck said:

Sorry but while Arte takes most of the blame, there needs to be push back from the GM on the team's future success. So he gets part of the blame. 

I you want to blame Perry, there’s plenty of things to blame him for.

Blaming him for not trading a generational player when ownership prevented it is not one of those things.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

I actually like what Minasian has been trying to do. He has improved the analytics,

How, exactly, has Minasian improved the analytics?

The guy he hired (Tamin) had conflict with Maddon and others in the org, then got shown the door at the end of last season.

I think right field is perfect for him. Jo has had some real good plays recently in right field, and the more he plays and gets MLB experience, the better he will be. He has the tools for rightfield. He has a ton of speed, he is durable, and he has a canon for an arm. I remember back a couple of seasons ago when he threw out Wil Myers of the Padres who was trying to go from first to third. Jo received that ball on a hop near the right field line and pretty deep. He wheeled and threw an absolute missle -- no bounce -- all in the air for a perfect strike to third base well ahead of the runner -- and Myers was not a slow runner -- and the ball was in the third baseman's glove in perfect alignment for Myers to slide right into. This is the type of right fielder I want in our outfield. This is part of the toolset and promise that Adell has had since day one. He needs to be the starter, period. Anyone else remember that play?

41 minutes ago, Taylor said:

One million times. Please list just ten that were successful.

Actually, I can think of several, but it isn’t nearly as simple as some folks are making it out to be. If it is done, it’s usually in the minors, or during ST. It takes a lot of practice and adjustments. It’s not usually done midseason unless there is an immediate need.

off the top of my head: Robin Yount, Craig Biggio, BJ Surhoff, Albert Pujols, Rick Ankiel, Kevin Mitchell, Troy Percival, Darin Erstad, Jack Clark, Mookie Betts, Fernando Tatis, Jr.

12 minutes ago, Jeremiah said:

Actually, I can think of several, but it isn’t nearly as simple as some folks are making it out to be. If it is done, it’s usually in the minors, or during ST. It takes a lot of practice and adjustments. It’s not usually done midseason unless there is an immediate need.

off the top of my head: Robin Yount, Craig Biggio, BJ Surhoff, Albert Pujols, Rick Ankiel, Kevin Mitchell, Troy Percival, Darin Erstad, Jack Clark, Mookie Betts, Fernando Tatis, Jr.

Thanks for doing dtwncbad's homework for him.

I agree that it happens, but it's rare and isn't always simple.

14 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I am perfectly comfortable if you choose lazy and think the responsibility falls on me.  That’s kinda the liberal way anyway, so no shocker there.

Translation: "I made a wild hyperbolic claim that I can't back up with facts, and just felt like arguing."

15 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I am perfectly comfortable if you choose lazy and think the responsibility falls on me.  That’s kinda the liberal way anyway, so no shocker there.

You were making a reasonable point about a discussion on changing Adell’s position in the field. I wouldn’t want to try it just yet, but it’s not unreasonable. Then you are asked for examples of successful players who did it. Instead of doing that, or saying you can’t immediately think of any, you just cut and run, lobbing some personal insults as you flee the scene. I generally agree with your point, even threw out some names to support it. All without personally insulting the guy who disagreed with you. If you’ve got stuff to add to the topic? Cool. Ad hominems aren’t it.

2 minutes ago, Jeremiah said:

You were making a reasonable point about a discussion on changing Adell’s position in the field. I wouldn’t want to try it just yet, but it’s not unreasonable. Then you are asked for examples of successful players who did it. Instead of doing that, or saying you can’t immediately think of any, you just cut and run, lobbing some personal insults as you flee the scene. I generally agree with your point, even threw out some names to support it. All without personally insulting the guy who disagreed with you. If you’ve got stuff to add to the topic? Cool. Ad hominems aren’t it.

No I’d never said I couldn’t think of any.  Never happened.  I have a long standing position of not doing google searches to satisfy somebody else’s interest in “finding proof.”  Plus, somebody else had already posted a long list of people changing positions.

And finally, Taylor is gonna get addressed a certain way sometimes because he has a demonstrated history of being a certain way.  Everybody makes their own bed.

16 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Let's move Rengifo to catcher and O'Hoppe to right field, so he can take Adell's place when Adell moves to first.  And once Sano is back from his injury, he should take Jose Suarez's spot in the bullpen.

Let's just make every player universal at all eight positions, and swap them in and out as need be.

5 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

And finally, Taylor is gonna get addressed a certain way sometimes because he has a demonstrated history of being a certain way.  Everybody makes their own bed.

And how should we expect people to address you based on your demonstrated history?

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

No I’d never said I couldn’t think of any.  Never happened.  I have a long standing position of not doing google searches to satisfy somebody else’s interest in “finding proof.”  Plus, somebody else had already posted a long list of people changing positions.

Read it again. I never claimed you said that; just that you could have without invalidating your point. As for the list of players: yeah, that was me, again generally supporting your point of view without insulting anyone while doing so. Judging by your last sentence, it sounds like you’ll just look to insult certain posters regardless of the validity of their points. That wouldn’t make it easy or even worthwhile to engage with you.

4 minutes ago, Jeremiah said:

Read it again. I never claimed you said that; just that you could have without invalidating your point. As for the list of players: yeah, that was me, again generally supporting your point of view without insulting anyone while doing so. Judging by your last sentence, it sounds like you’ll just look to insult certain posters regardless of the validity of their points. That wouldn’t make it easy or even worthwhile to engage with you.

I misread what you wrote.  I stand corrected.  No I am not looking to insult people.  But it happens.  I guess you can judge me and say I make my own bed.

Edited by Dtwncbad