• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The OFFICIAL "Glen Complains About The CHARGERS" THREAD

RallyMo

I like what the Chargers have done thus far.  Signing Cox was solid.  They can pair him with Gilchrist and/or bring back Jammer or Cason.  Their pass protection was potentially the worst in the league last season.  We don't need to be top-10, but even with some marginal signings along the O-line, we could move up to middle of the pack in regards to protection.  What I'd really like to see them do is go after the best available pass-rusher at #11 (Ansah, Jordan, Jones, Mingo) and draft another young corner (Poyer, Trufant?) in the second and put together a dominant D.  That will keep them in most games and even win a few, regardless of what the offense does.  Go after a few offensive lineman in the 3rd and beyond.  An improved O-line that doesn't impersonate a sieve wouldn't suck, though.

• 1 month later...

Tin, do you like the draft? Fluker is an excellent pickup. And besides protection, Rivers has been devoid of any weapons the last few years, and the Keenan Allen pick should definitely help that. I don't know about Manti Teo. Pretty slow, but he does appear motivated. We'll see.

Decent draft, but Bolts are still re-building. Be lucky to go 8-8 this year. I'd take that.

I don't really know much about college football players but I like that they seemed to address areas of need.  I don't mind getting Teo because I think he'll be motivated, as you said. 

I was talking with a co-worker who is a huge Chargers fan, the other day.  He said he liked the draft but the team will still suck because Rivers is still the QB.  He was never a mobile quarterback and now he's getting old for the position and has a lot of wear after the last two seasons.  Add to that not having a solid RB and the team is still in trouble.  I have a feeling this will be the last year Rivers is starting. 

I don't really know much about college football players but I like that they seemed to address areas of need.  I don't mind getting Teo because I think he'll be motivated, as you said. 

I was talking with a co-worker who is a huge Chargers fan, the other day.  He said he liked the draft but the team will still suck because Rivers is still the QB.  He was never a mobile quarterback and now he's getting old for the position and has a lot of wear after the last two seasons.  Add to that not having a solid RB and the team is still in trouble.  I have a feeling this will be the last year Rivers is starting. 

If Fluker does anything, it will be helping the run game. Woodhead will help as well. He is a great pass blocker

I like what the Chargers have done.  We get Fluker to either take over the RT position (likely) from Clary or be coached up and installed at LT (possibly).  Clary has been rumored to be either moved inside to RG or cut.  If the Chargers can either sign McKinnie (one-year stopgap) or trade for Monroe or Saffold, that would put together a better line for Philip and put us in position to draft a starting calibre LT next year.  Te'o should start right away and team with Butler to give us a solid inside LB'ing duo and Keenan Allen should see a ton of snaps.  There were some undrafted college free agents that the Chargers signed that I will be watching as well (Courtney Gardner, Kwame Geathers, Nic Becton, and Byron Jerideau).

I like what the Chargers have done.  We get Fluker to either take over the RT position (likely) from Clary or be coached up and installed at LT (possibly).  Clary has been rumored to be either moved inside to RG or cut.  If the Chargers can either sign McKinnie (one-year stopgap) or trade for Monroe or Saffold, that would put together a better line for Philip and put us in position to draft a starting calibre LT next year.  Te'o should start right away and team with Butler to give us a solid inside LB'ing duo and Keenan Allen should see a ton of snaps.  There were some undrafted college free agents that the Chargers signed that I will be watching as well (Courtney Gardner, Kwame Geathers, Nic Becton, and Byron Jerideau).

I think they had a solid draft. 

Disclaimer - I don't care for San Diego and think Rivers is a whiney douche.  That aside Rivers isn't old for the position he's 31 and came out in the same draft class as Eli and Big Ben.  Some of the elite QB's in the league are older and aside from some of the younger guys (RG3 pre injury, Wilson, Colin K., Rodgers to an extent) most QB's aren't known for being that mobile.  I included my disclaimer because I wanted to call Rivers a douche but also because I have to give the guy some credit.  During his career there's times he's had a lot of weapons and others where he's had few and he's shown that he could put the numbers up in both instances. 

In recent years he's reminded me of Jay Cutler (and Favre) as he has the arm but makes bad decisions trying to force throws especially when his team is down and no one else is stepping up.  Ryan Matthews has been a let down and he had huge shoes to fill, Gates always has foot/leg injuries and is impaired a lot of times when he does play and the team let V-Jax walk after sat out most of the previous year.  You can't expect to replace stars or superstars with mediocre talent and SD's prior GM played hardball and let quite a few guys go while probably working within his budget.  Long story short I think Rivers is fine if they can actually shore up the O-line and give him some legit weapons and he can be a top 10 QB which isn't easy to come by.

I meant as far as having an NFL arm and the ability to be a top 10 QB while making bad decisions but I can see how it reads otherwise.  Rivers took criticism last year for his arm strength and there's been some question as to whether or not there's something wrong with his arm but I think the players he's had to work with could have something to do with his results.  If there isn't anything wrong with his arm getting rid of him would be a bad move considering what he's had to work with in SD the last few years. 

Our WR corp is actually a strength again with Alexander, Floyd, Allen and Brown.  Meachem and Royal can suck it!  If Gates can stay healthy, we might actually have a formidable offense as long as they can figure out a O-line scheme to keep Philip standing.

I expect very little from Gates anymore.  He's just getting too old and too damaged.  Sad, because he used to be so exciting to watch.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...