• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Industry Opinion on Anthony Rendon & Arte Moreno

Chuck

On 8/24/2023 at 12:01 PM, DMVol said:

Angelos was a cheapskate….Arte is not that…they may both meddle but Arte has authorized some huge contracts, which unfortunately haven’t worked out…Angelos never went after any big name guys….he actually backed out of a couple of deals, based on medical, if I recall correctly…which PO’ed agents and the union…

Arte actually is a cheapskate--in every area that doesn't positively impact marketing. 

30 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

Arte actually is a cheapskate--in every area that doesn't positively impact marketing. 

I'll say this.... and everyone here is free to take it as they want.

And I've been a pretty big Moreno supporter over the years, until recently (it's past time to sell).

@Jeff Fletcher mentioned things in the org have gotten better recently. And maybe they have (I'll take his word for it).

But some years back I was having dinner with a few players. A few were Angels, the others different teams. And we were discussing who the Angels might get in the offseason. And I mentioned whoever I thought at the time they needed.

And the table basically laughed and said "no chance".

Here's the interesting part...

One of the guys told me, almost apologeticly because he knew I was an Angel fan, that "honestly bro... most guys don't want to play here." And i was kind of baffled. 

Keep in mind this wasn't too far removed from the salad years, where we were one of the best teams in baseball for a decade. And we had signed some pretty big names in recent years.

But then collectively they started complaining about how cheap the org was, in comparison to other teams.

Now keep in mind the things they mentioned, I took as "you guys are kind of fucking spoiled, if that's what you're complaining about." 

That being said, when they gave examples of what was the norm for other teams, I could at least understand why if the money is mostly equal, the perks might be the tiebreaker.

Again, like I said. The examples I was given that night to me were kind of "cmon dude, grow up." Like CJ Wilson talking about no breakfast or chick fil A. Well, my work (and I'm sure everyone else's here) doesn't give me breakfast either. 

But I could see it getting old if say you're constantly for example chartering shitty airlines or cheap hotels or something like that. If you know guys on other teams who get first class everything.

19 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Probably click bait, but I could see them releasing him after 2024.   At that point, he would be owed similar to what Hamilton was owed after 2014.

In my mind, he has one last chance in 2024.   In the meantime, have to re-sign Moose for insurance and not trade Rengifo.

Edited by Angel Oracle

18 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

I'm one of the biggest Rendon "haters" here, but cutting him makes zero sense. 

All we can do if let him rehab and hope he can contribute one day. 

15 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Again, like I said. The examples I was given that night to me were kind of "cmon dude, grow up." Like CJ Wilson talking about no breakfast or chick fil A. Well, my work (and I'm sure everyone else's here) doesn't give me breakfast either. 

What’s ironic is that now, the Angels almost always offer Chick Fil A on their team flights (as a pre-flight meal).

But that probably pales in comparison to what other teams offer as pre-flight meals)

52 minutes ago, BTH said:

What’s ironic is that now, the Angels almost always offer Chick Fil A on their team flights (as a pre-flight meal).

But that probably pales in comparison to what other teams offer as pre-flight meals)

One of the things I remember specifically being brought up was the post game food in the clubhouse.

Again... I kind of rolled my eyes, like "you make more than enough money to buy food you like after work."

That said, when I was told what it was compared to several other teams, meh... yeah.... did sound a bit "cheap".

Like essentially the "big boy" organizations were serving something an actual chef made after the game, and we were putting out the 5 dollar carry out pizzas from Little Ceasers. One topping only kind of thing.

Edited by ten ocho recon scout

12 hours ago, NJHalo said:

I hope that this past week will serve as our Waterloo moment. It certainly seems to be the sentiment.

Today was it. And it was self-inflicted. It's not like the team was up against a coalition of nations that were tired of Napoleon's bullshit, and not like they were facing Wellington, either. 

This was more like Napoleon's invasion of Russia. 

I'll say one good thing about Arte. He restored the $4 beer at the stadium!

I bought a $4 can of Bud Light on August 19th in the 414 section, third base side. I could hardly believe it. They were calling it a "small beer" but it was at least 10 ounces.

It made the 18-4 drubbing by the Rays a little less painful.

9 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

I'm one of the biggest Rendon "haters" here, but cutting him makes zero sense. 

All we can do if let him rehab and hope he can contribute one day. 

I wholeheartedly agree with this @Erstad Grit.  Make the guy come to work every day, make him practice, make him basically fulfill his contract and hopefully he will have some epiphany and hopefully some sort of resurgence, and make us fans forget just how bad his tenure has been so far.

Don't give him the easy way out, which I doubt the Angels FO is going to do.  Give him the benefit of the doubt (no matter how hard it is for fans to swallow, yeah I said it @cals) and make the guy work for his millions, including traveling with the team.  Hopefully the Angels “medical” staff monitors him, and if they deem him healthy and he refuses to adhere, then the Angels have a recourse.

1 hour ago, PattyD22 said:

I wholeheartedly agree with this @Erstad Grit.  Make the guy come to work every day, make him practice, make him basically fulfill his contract and hopefully he will have some epiphany and hopefully some sort of resurgence, and make us fans forget just how bad his tenure has been so far.

Don't give him the easy way out, which I doubt the Angels FO is going to do.  Give him the benefit of the doubt (no matter how hard it is for fans to swallow, yeah I said it @cals) and make the guy work for his millions, including traveling with the team.  Hopefully the Angels “medical” staff monitors him, and if they deem him healthy and he refuses to adhere, then the Angels have a recourse.

I appreciate that I’m the Patron Saint of Immature Humor here.

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

I'll say one good thing about Arte. He restored the $4 beer at the stadium!

I bought a $4 can of Bud Light on August 19th in the 414 section, third base side. I could hardly believe it. They were calling it a "small beer" but it was at least 10 ounces.

It made the 18-4 drubbing by the Rays a little less painful.

I’m sure you and your buddies dressed like chicks all enjoyed those Bud Lights.