• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angel Trade Targets

32 minutes ago, TroutField said:

You just explained Tyler Anderson to a T. 

And at a a minimum, we could use another arm like that. #6 spot has been Barria, Suarez, and Silseth. Suarez is hurt, Barria is probably more useful as the long-man in the pen.

Silseth, as good as he is, will probably be forced into being up-and-down because either they won’t need a #6 SP or because he’s optionable and they’ll need the spot for fresh relievers. 

Aiming higher would be great, or a Swiss-army arm like Lugo or Lorenzen, but even just another inning-eater would help. If Anderson isn’t needed or struggles again, he can take Davidson’s spot.

6 hours ago, Stradling said:

Should they consider a Justin Verlander trade if the Mets become sellers?  He’d have to waive his no trade clause and he has negative trade value but it’s the ultimate risk reward. He makes $43 million a year through next year with a 140 innings pitched vesting option for 2025.  The prospect cost would be virtually nothing. 

Screenshot_20230722-141816_theScore.thumb.jpg.0fcf46f8d4204a9ba366e11602735e2e.jpg

Verlander last 5 starts. He threw well vs the Chi Sox in his last outing. But, they aren't actually considered a Playoff team.

June 21st he threw 7innings vs the Astros and gave up 8 hits and 4 earned. 94 pitches 

Padres and Dogs take a lot of pitches so the inning count and the BB's equates to that. We wouldn't have to worry about them. But, the Astros are very similar.

His strike outs are down. He's throwing a little more change ups (2% higher than last year) as his Velo has dropped a tad from 95mph last year to 94.3mph. He still can command the upper part of the zone due to his click higher useage of his change from 2.4% to 4.1% in 2023.

Would he help? Of course. Does Arte want to drop whatever is left this year and 43.33M on Verlander and another 57M on Ohtani? For Next season?

Another issue is for 2025 option year with his vesting at 140 innings in 2024 for another 35M in 2025..

And we still haven't talked about if he would Waive his No Trade....? $$$$

On 7/18/2023 at 8:39 AM, Dtwncbad said:

Who should the Angels pursue (if they are not trading Ohtani)?

I think it makes some sense to trade some prospects for an impact player that is controllable beyond this year.

Any ideas?

JULIAN MERRYWEATHER, RHRP, Cubs.  He's been excellent and would be quite the reinforcement to the Angels bullpen.

I'm actually, thinking a few of these guys would be easier gets. We need a backend righty to split the Lefties. And a couple back end bullpen guys.

I don't see us getting Stroman would love to have him!

Bullpen:

1. Hicks - Cards

2. Graveman - Chi Sox

3. Kelly - Chi Sox

4. Barlow - KC

5. Robertson - Mets

Rotation:

1. Giollito - Chi Sox

2. Lynn - Chi Sox

3. Flaherty - Cards

4. Lorenzen - Tigers

5. Hendricks - Cubs

6. Clevinger - Chi Sox (slated to come back this week). Throwing 60 pitch Sim game session today or tomorrow.

7. Kaprielian - Oakland (I thought he was coming back last week?).

Other Positions:

1. Goldschmidt - Cards

2. Bellinger - Cubs

On 7/23/2023 at 9:13 AM, Revad said:

Bellinger is hitting .457 with six home runs in July.  Maybe a package deal of Bellinger and Stroman or a reliever…

This would cost a lot more than some expect. Bellinger's comp in todays Athletic Article is Carlos Beltran to the Yankees in 2016 (not when he was traded to the Astros). They got Dillon Tate and two Pitchers from A-Ball. Angels dont have a comp here and I dont think it would cost this much, but an equivalent package is a recent top pick probably a pitcher, plus two a ball prospects, so maybe Silseth or Bush plus two lower tier guys in our 20-30 prospect range who are at A-Ball.

Stroman's comp is the Darvish trade in 2017, which was Willie Calhoun, and two lower tier 20-30 prospects. So you're talking Edgar Quero and pieces, which is far too much to give up for a rental. Maybe they could center something around Kyren Paris or Bush, but this is a haul to give up. 

For both, maybe Quero and Bush and like two lower tier guys, but that's a ton to give up and far more than the baseball trade values site says.

9 minutes ago, Hubs said:

This would cost a lot more than some expect. Bellinger's comp in todays Athletic Article is Carlos Beltran to the Yankees in 2016 (not when he was traded to the Astros). They got Dillon Tate and two Pitchers from A-Ball. Angels dont have a comp here and I dont think it would cost this much, but an equivalent package is a recent top pick probably a pitcher, plus two a ball prospects, so maybe Silseth or Bush plus two lower tier guys in our 20-30 prospect range who are at A-Ball.

Stroman's comp is the Darvish trade in 2017, which was Willie Calhoun, and two lower tier 20-30 prospects. So you're talking Edgar Quero and pieces, which is far too much to give up for a rental. Maybe they could center something around Kyren Paris or Bush, but this is a haul to give up. 

For both, maybe Quero and Bush and like two lower tier guys, but that's a ton to give up and far more than the baseball trade values site says.

Stroman is looking to settle down I think and might resign.  The price is more than I imagined and then add the cost of a couple of relievers on top of that.  Half the farm practically!  I guess I’d do the bullpen first and some sort of SP.   

We knew there was work left to do in spring, that the team was unfinished.  Well here we are.  Artie may not even go over the tax, so we’ll likely have to pay in prospects for maybe one good reliever.  Maybe Cron or Choi would be cheap at the last minute…

Just now, Revad said:

Stroman is looking to settle down I think and might resign.  The price is more than I imagined and then add the cost of a couple of relievers on top of that.  Half the farm practically!  I guess I’d do the bullpen first and some sort of SP.   

We knew there was work left to do in spring, that the team was unfinished.  Well here we are.  Artie may not even go over the tax, so we’ll likely have to pay in prospects for maybe one good reliever.  Maybe Cron or Choi would be cheap at the last minute…

Give me Joe Kelly, Jack Flaherty and Jordan Hicks. That is good for me with Drury, Trout and O'Hoppe probably all coming back at some point and Adell and Rendon likely coming back at some point. 

Flaherty and Hicks can probably be had for Tucker Davidson, Ky Bush, plus another lower grade pitching prospect. Maybe Andrew Wantz. 

Joe Kelly can be had for someone like Jadiel Sanchez. He's struggled a bit lately, but I have always seen him be successful when the game is on the line.

26 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Flaherty and Hicks can probably be had for Tucker Davidson, Ky Bush, plus another lower grade pitching prospect. Maybe Andrew Wantz. 

Joe Kelly can be had for someone like Jadiel Sanchez. He's struggled a bit lately, but I have always seen him be successful when the game is on the line.

I like Joe Kelly as an add too. Local ties. 

Flaherty + Hicks, Kelly and grab a vet back-up C like Hedges or Barnhart or Gomes and I think we’re in great shape without cannibalizing the farm or the MLB team.

16 hours ago, totdprods said:

I like Joe Kelly as an add too. Local ties. 

Flaherty + Hicks, Kelly and grab a vet back-up C like Hedges or Barnhart or Gomes and I think we’re in great shape without cannibalizing the farm or the MLB team.

Wallach's offense has mostly cratered. Thaiss isn't hitting as well as he did either. O'Hoppe called games much better than either of the other guys, and may be back soon, and who knows what's up with Stassi.

14 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Wallach's offense has mostly cratered. Thaiss isn't hitting as well as he did either. O'Hoppe called games much better than either of the other guys, and may be back soon, and who knows what's up with Stassi.

All the more reason to add a veteran back-up, IMO.

Plus it’s a preventative measure - NYY lost Trevino for the year, Tampa is out Mejía for awhile. You’re also potentially denying your competition a shot at an upgrade or depth. 

Assuming that Drury is within a week or two from returning, maybe the Angels could do something like flip Escobar and optionless Wantz/Davidson for Dylan Floro. Thaiss replaces Escobar as the third-rung corner infielder. Angels add someone like Gomes, Hedges, or Barnhart for back-up catcher, and see if Wallach makes it through waivers as our first-up depth. If he doesn’t, you have at least a couple of months to try and restore AAA catcher depth, in the event anything happens to O’Hoppe, vet, or Thaiss.

I just have this nightmare scenario in my head where the Angels lose Wallach when O’Hoppe returns, they make the playoffs, and right before they begin Logan gets hurt again and we’re banking on Matt Thaiss and Chris Okey. I like Thaiss but still a lot of inexperience there in high-pressure situations. It just feels like a real easy move they can make now that covers their ass later, even if a nightmare scenario doesn’t occur.

5 minutes ago, mmc said:

How about another Colorado trade, Grichuk, and 1-2 of Suter/Hand/Bard/Lawrence

Do we need another OF? I mean Moniak should be playing everyday, and Ward is hitting, plus with Trout returning, and Moustakas playing well at 1st, you have Cabbage and Renfroe splitting time ...

5 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Plus super sub Rengifo is heating up and can play OF.

Rengifo shouldn't ever play the OF.

Add this to your list of bad ideas.

I know he's been hot in his last few games but honestly I would like nothing more than his streaky, swing for the fences, misplay easy balls gone from this team.

4 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Rengifo shouldn't ever play the OF.

Add this to your list of bad ideas.

I know he's been hot in his last few games but honestly I would like nothing more than his streaky, swing for the fences, misplay easy balls gone from this team.

Few more bad ideas and I can write a book. Bad ideas for halo baseball. 

Someone is going to be writing a very long book.  Also I don’t hate Rengifo in the outfield and when he is swinging it well it is an average MLB player and there is nothing wrong with that.  We have been looking for at least average at many positions for a lot of years now.

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

I just have this nightmare scenario in my head where the Angels lose Wallach when O’Hoppe returns, they make the playoffs, and right before they begin Logan gets hurt again and we’re banking on Matt Thaiss and Chris Okey.

Your nightmare scenario involves the Angels making the playoffs?

I’d gladly deal with a Thaiss/Okey tandem in the playoffs, if it meant the Angels actually made the playoffs.

13 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Your nightmare scenario involves the Angels making the playoffs?

I’d gladly deal with a Thaiss/Okey tandem in the playoffs, if it meant the Angels actually made the playoffs.

What’s the harm in pursuing catcher depth now?