• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Hypothetical Ohtani Trade Thread

When a baseball player is paid a salary is it across the entire calendar year or just during the season? In other words if Ohtani makes $30 million per year how much has he been paid so far in 2023 and how much is remaining to be paid on his contract?

15 hours ago, ukyah said:

dude, you're so damn argumentative. 

all i said was, i disagree.

you will recover from this. i promise.

would you like me to go back and pull up your post where you literally say, "the only reason..."

it's not the only reason per jeff fletcher, whom we both agree is actually in the know.

my opinion, which you are free to disagree with, is that arte and carpino are too self absorped and apparently dense to understand that getting nothing in return for ohtani is less than ideal. if he's so serious about signing ohtani that he's afraid he'll be locked out if he trades him, then i have several questions about that. why don't you offer him 600 million dollars yesterday, or the day before? why have you stayed below the luxury tax threshold when ohtani has repeatedly said, i want to play for a winner and the team is desperately in need of talent infusion to the major league roster? if he thinks he can sign ohtani in the FA period, then does he expect to finally blow way way past the luxury tax threshold for the next 12 years? because that's what it's going to take for ANY team that signs him to a 50 or 60+ million per year contract. no team will be able to field a winning team on paper with a single player taking up that much of a de facto salary cap without going over the tax. suddenly arte is willing to do that in perpetuity? why wasn't he willing to do that for the last 6 years with trout and ohtani?

Ok. I disagree, but in an agreeable way. 

I think he only gets traded if any, maybe even all, of the following occurs:
1) he clearly indicates to the Angels he isn't interested in re-signing (why would he burn a suitor?)
2) the Angels fall even further back (possible, but, they also could gain a few games between now and then)
3) a team ponies up a huge offer that is just too good to refuse (the likeliest of the three, and still not likely)

In the grand scheme of things, the casual fan isn't gonna remember or care that the Angels didn't trade Ohtani. They'll remember him chasing the HR record and doing what he does, and what negligible package they'd receive at this point won't make any more difference to Average Fan than who they sign this winter. It's moot. Lost to the sands of time.

Edited by totdprods

19 hours ago, 70runner said:

Concur.  Think about it.  The owner/team that traded the best ever for footnotes.  An epitaph?  Moreno won't do it.

19 hours ago, ukyah said:

the whole "guy who traded the best ever" thing is dumb. what's the alternative guy who couldn't even field a 500 team with two all time greats? guy who let the best player ever to leave for nothing? moreno doesn't come out good in any scenario here. best case scenario for him is he signs ohtani long term and the angels hopefully start to make the post season and do well. he'd still be the guy that wasted the majority of trout's career and the first half of ohtani's. best case scenario.

19 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Arte doesn’t want to be known as the guy who traded Ohtani, especially not now that he’s a rental and it’s unlikely the return is going to be anything too exciting.

Mr. Fletcher likely has a better handle on this.  Dumb or not, a factor in the deliberations. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

When a baseball player is paid a salary is it across the entire calendar year or just during the season? In other words if Ohtani makes $30 million per year how much has he been paid so far in 2023 and how much is remaining to be paid on his contract?

Pretty sure by default it's bi-monthly during the season, but under the CBA it can technically be anytime if the player/team agrees.

8 hours ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

Counterpoint: the Rockies are absolutely known as the team that traded Arenado for complete garbage. If you end up getting a mediocre-at-best haul (which is the likely outcome) you will def be known as the guy that traded Ohtani for pennies during an MVP season

To you perhaps, to me they made an effort to make the most of a giant shit sandwich.  It ddint work out.  You know what definitely wont, not doing anything. 

3 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

So you do not trade Ohtani what about other players. You keep Renfroe, Moore, Moose, Escobar and others. Again this team should decide on a direction in coming 19 days. 

What value do you think Moustakas or Escobar would have on the trade market, given a) what the Angels gave up for them, and b) how lousy they've performed since being acquired?

50 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

What value do you think Moustakas or Escobar would have on the trade market, given a) what the Angels gave up for them, and b) how lousy they've performed since being acquired?

What I'm asking Angel's 8 games back in W/C nearing deadline what do you do. Arte does not want to trade Ohtani, what happens to other players like Renfroe and Moore? Keep them sit and do nothing at deadline? What direction do Angel's go.

57 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Escobar has an WRC+ of 55 since we acquired him.  Of course it’s only 44 at bats so not much of a sample.  Hopefully that regresses to the mean.

14 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

What I'm asking Angel's 8 games back in W/C nearing deadline what do you do. Arte does not want to trade Ohtani, what happens to other players like Renfroe and Moore? Keep them sit and do nothing at deadline? What direction do Angel's go.

I can't imagine Arte will give a shit about what happens to Renfroe or Moore if they're several games out of the last wild card slot at the trading deadline.  But as I've mentioned elsewhere, the return for Renfroe is going to be minimal.  I really think a lot of folks on here need to reset their expectations if guys are moved at the deadline.

On 7/13/2023 at 9:06 PM, Angels 1961 said:

Reports are saying Yankees most motivated to trade for Ohtani. Mr. Moreno says it's about fans as he wants to keep Ohtani. Maybe he will see more Yankee fans in stands on Monday. Many Angel fans sell yankee fans their tickets.

I’d start with Volpe….We’ll figure out how to play both Neto and Volpe later…

On 7/12/2023 at 7:48 PM, jsnpritchett said:

i think they are the exact type of players that playoff hopeful teams add to help deepen their playoff roster.

4 hours ago, ukyah said:

i think they are the exact type of players that playoff hopeful teams add to help deepen their playoff roster.

Ok, but you're still not going to get anything useful for them.  It's not like the Angels would get back a greater return than they gave up to get them in the first place (which wasn't much).

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

Ok, but you're still not going to get anything useful for them.  It's not like the Angels would get back a greater return than they gave up to get them in the first place (which wasn't much).

I think we could get back what we gave up…if they hit well the next couple of weeks.

12 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Reports are saying Yankees most motivated to trade for Ohtani. Mr. Moreno says it's about fans as he wants to keep Ohtani. Maybe he will see more Yankee fans in stands on Monday. Many Angel fans sell yankee fans their tickets.

When I look at MLB top prospects, I don't see any Yankees we would want.  I think the Reds have the best prospects that would fit our club in Marte, Arroyo, and Collier.  I don't even see anyone on the Yankees MLB roster that would be a fit for us.

14 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

They can be motivated all they want but the Yankees don't have the ammo. Their farm is pretty weak. Volpe is their standout prospect but the Angels already have Neto for the SS spot(who was outperforming Volpe this season already). Jasson Dominguez got a ton of hype but hasn't come close to justifying it throughout his MILB career thus far

14 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

i don't know if they would get back a greater return or not, but maybe getting back some prospects is a good idea on a likely go nowhere team. prospects pop all the time, nobody knows their future.

On 7/14/2023 at 5:12 AM, jsnpritchett said:

I would probably poke around and see if we could get something for some of our younger talent that has been up for a few years but still has team control.  Someone like Canning, perhaps, could fetch a few interesting prospects.  Canning will have 2 years left after this year I believe.  I wouldn't be that motivated to trade him, but if we do trade Ohtani and signal a shift in philosophy (i.e. contend in 1-2 years instead of now), could be worth seeing what we could get for him and others like him.

13 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I would probably poke around and see if we could get something for some of our younger talent that has been up for a few years but still has team control.  Someone like Canning, perhaps, could fetch a few interesting prospects.  Canning will have 2 years left after this year I believe.  I wouldn't be that motivated to trade him, but if we do trade Ohtani and signal a shift in philosophy (i.e. contend in 1-2 years instead of now), could be worth seeing what we could get for him and others like him.

Yeah the way the last two weeks have gone, I'm pretty much sold on the idea of blowing the team up and building around Neto, O'Hoppe, Detmers...
Can't count on Trout, can't count on Rendon, Ohtani likely gone. That contention window is just about closed, barring a miraculous turnaround the next ten days.

Blow it up, maybe Arte sells this winter.

Edited by totdprods