• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Hypothetical Ohtani Trade Thread

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ohtani to the White Sox for Eloy Jimenez and Giolito?  You get three years of Eloy and negotiating rights to Giolito. 

the white sox are 7.5 games under .500. shouldn't it be for teams that are reasonably playoff bound and would be interested in giving up significant prospects?

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ohtani to the White Sox for Eloy Jimenez and Giolito?  You get three years of Eloy and negotiating rights to Giolito. 

Meh. Wouldn’t do this, and would be very disappointed if it happened.

basically getting eloy’s final two arb years. And he’s not that great. This is a guy who has never cracked two WAR. Not even any high ranked prospects? Not even close to enough

9 minutes ago, ukyah said:

the white sox are 7.5 games under .500. shouldn't it be for teams that are reasonably playoff bound and would be interested in giving up significant prospects?

I’ve heard of their interest in him which is why I suggested it. 

9 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Meh. Wouldn’t do this, and would be very disappointed if it happened.

basically getting eloy’s final two arb years. And he’s not that great. This is a guy who has never cracked two WAR. Not even any high ranked prospects? Not even close to enough

I read that Eloy has two team options the next two years. He’s also 26 years old. I don’t believe the package will be all that great for a rental. 

30 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I read that Eloy has two team options the next two years. He’s also 26 years old. I don’t believe the package will be all that great for a rental. 

also could be though. Yankees got Gleyber Torres back from the cubs for half a season of aroldis Chapman. Gleyber was a top 50 prospect at the time. And Chapman, as we know, is a closer. Ohtani is something totally different. And every team in contention could use him

I read a list recently looking at some midseason deals for big name FA-to-be’s and the return for all of them sucked. 

The only team that I think would give up anything worth it (Mets) is probably on the verge of being sellers anyways. Not sure the Dodgers or Braves have the bullets to spend on a rental.

Sleeper pick? Tampa. They have the farm to make a great offer that doesn’t kill the team, a clear need, and while they’re almost certain not to sign him (despite rumors of recent big contract talks with other FAs) it would make some sense for them to try to make a WS run. Think when Milwaukee acquired Sabathia or Houston Randy Johnson. Moves made purely in an effort to get a ring with no real shot at keeping beyond that year.

Plus I think Tampa actually could be a team that drops a ton on Ohtani but is capable of continually building a cheap effective competitive team around him. Could be the star they need to generate interest in the team. And they win. 

Edited by totdprods

To the Orioles for Gunnar Henderson.

Here me out. Gunnar is going to be a stud, but he's only pretty good right now. Gettin Ohtani for the last two months gives the Orioles an edge. Plus they get first shot at signing him long-term. 

Meanwhile, Gunnar is the 3B right away. Rendon moves to 1st.

Edited by Angelsjunky

8 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

To the Orioles for Gunnar Henderson.

Here me out. Gunnar is going to be a stud, but he's only pretty good right now. Gettin Ohtani for the last two months gives the Orioles an edge. Plus they get first shot at signing him long-term. 

Meanwhile, Gunnar is the 3B right away. Rendon moves to 1st.

I don’t think they should be counting on Rendon at all. The Halos need to address both 3B and 1B. 

The Trade Simulator gives Ohtani a median value of 57.3. For obvious reasons, he's particularly difficult to assess, but that's a lot for a guy with less than half a season under club control.

Anyhow, Henderson is valued at 70.2, so my suggestion isn't totally far-fetched. Grayson Rodriguez (44.1) and Heston Kjerstad (15.7) might be more realistic.

But that's the basic idea. Fangraphs has Rodriguez at 55, Kjerstad at 45+.

Any team trading for Ohtani is doing so for winning the WS this year -- not necessarily for the LT of Ohtani.  So them giving up producing ML talent in return makes no sense.  The trade here is for prospects only.  A top 10-20 overall guy who's a 2024 option + a guy in the 50-120 range + maybe 2 very young (17-19 yr old) promising but far out pieces (int'l or recent HS draftees). 

If any current ML players come in return, i'd expect it to be guys for salary match (if a team cares about that) or a former high ranked guy who is not cutting it (yet) at the ML level.

1 hour ago, Revad said:

One top 50 prospect, one from the team’s top 20 and another prospect.  

This is probably what you’re looking at. Maybe with a fourth fringe guy thrown in. 

I think the main problem with the “trade Ohtani” talk is that people are over-estimating what the Angels would get back. 

As I’ve said many times, look at the Scherzer-Turner trade. The Nats gave up more than Ohtani in that deal (Turner is a SS and had a whole year of control left) and they got 2 top 100 prospects (Josiah Gray and Kiebert Ruiz). I think if subtract one of those guys, you’re close to what Ohtani would net.