• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Hypothetical Ohtani Trade Thread

1 minute ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

This is probably what you’re looking at. Maybe with a fourth fringe guy thrown in. 

I think the main problem with the “trade Ohtani” talk is that people are over-estimating what the Angels would get back. 

As I’ve said many times, look at the Scherzer-Turner trade. The Nats gave up more than Ohtani in that deal (Turner is a SS and had a whole year of control left) and they got 2 top 100 prospects (Josiah Gray and Kiebert Ruiz). I think if subtract one of those guys, you’re close to what Ohtani would net. 

Yep. I have thrown hypothetical trades on here without including top prospects because I don’t see that happening, since it hasn’t happened in a long time for a rental. If a team that’s heavily loaded with top 100 prospects (Baltimore, Reds) want to just go for it, maybe they go all in and give you 3 top 100 prospects but I doubt it. Baltimore seems to be playing the long game with developing a solid group of home grown players.  Maybe a team who wants to go all in next year wants to convince him to sign there by trading for him. 

Ohtani and Herget to Atlanta

Travis D’Arnaud, AJ Smith Shawver, Victor Vodnik and Luke Wadell to Angels

In this scenario, the Angels get back a very solid veteran player (D’Arnaud) who can catch/DH and play some first base. Then they get the Braves top prospect in Shawvyer along with a really good relief prospect and Waddell who is profiled to be a decent fielder at 3b along with good contact skills, good obp and a very low strikeout rate. 

They could have gotten so much more last year but I would not be upset with a trade like this if they know Ohtani isn’t coming back. 

I’d almost prefer a quantity over quality return, because I don’t think you’ll get more than maybe one top prospect - one hour probably has some legit risk - for a couple months of Ohtani. 

So instead of one A+  ‘Jo Adell’ circa 2021 type prospect sort, I’d like to almost try and snag back 3 B-level guys. 

The Dodgers are an almost too obvious trade partner.

Here's what I could see actually happening:

The Dodgers get: Ohtani and Renfroe

The Angels get: Bobby Miller and Miguel Vargas

Vargas isn't playing well in 304 PA this year: .197/.305/.367, 0.1 WAR, but looks like a solid future Benintendi/Verdugo type. Renfroe is an improvement for the next few months. Miller has been solid and has upside, but Ohtani is better.

This benefits both teams: The Dodgers get an upgrade in the outfield and the best player in the world, including first dibs on offering him an offer he can't refuse. the Angels get an immediate replacement in the rotation, and a solid outfielder to compete with Adell and Moniak.

If the Dodgers prefer Ward, that's fine too.

8 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Vargas isn't playing well in 304 PA this year: .197/.305/.367, 0.1 WAR, but looks like a solid future Benintendi/Verdugo type. Renfroe is an improvement for the next few months. Miller has been solid and has upside, but Ohtani is better.

This benefits both teams: The Dodgers get an upgrade in the outfield and the best player in the world, including first dibs on offering him an offer he can't refuse. the Angels get an immediate replacement in the rotation, and a solid outfielder to compete with Adell and Moniak.

Am I crazy, or is Vargas not really an OF?  He's only played 30 games in the OF in his professional career.

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Am I crazy, or is Vargas not really an OF?  He's only played 30 games in the OF in his professional career.

You tell me - I didn't research too much. But even better - there's even more opportunity for him in the infield. How about 1B, then? Or his natural position, 2B? The Rengifo Experiment failed, and Paris isn't exactly a lock to succeed in the majors. He's a natural fit and the Dodgers don't need him, considering that all of Latin America is essentially their farm system.

Edited by Angelsjunky

14 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I think it'd be hard to pry Miller from the Dodgers, given he's filling an immediate need for them right now too, but that's probably a fairly solid deal overall.  

The Renfroe part is a solid idea given their need for a RHH, but if the Dodgers did trade for Ohtani, consider that they already have JD Martinez, who is a full-time DH.  They'd have to put him somewhere, and I'm guessing that'd be LF, so likely that mitigates the need for Renfroe for them.

Alternatively, maybe they can look at some combination of Sheehan, Busch, etc.  Busch would become the immediate DH to replace Ohtani, Sheehan looks like he might be a solid mid-rotation SP (although maybe there are better choices, I'm not really sure, I just know they have a lot of SP prospects).  Busch also can capably play 1B/3B, so he can essentially become Rendon's backup and play 3B whenever he gets injured again.

Im going to leave this one alone this time, not worth the headache, but Its kinda funny how if we want to trade for a guy it will cost us the farm but if we trade a guy we wont get anything real in return. 
Youre never going to get full value, we all know that the time for that is long passed and we already blew that, but something is better than nothing. 
I think the Dodgers are waiting on that call and make a lot of sense, but im not going to fight this fight any further... whatever happens, happens. 

On 7/7/2023 at 6:54 PM, SoWhat said:

I know no one wants to deal Ohtani to the Dodgers, but some sort of package headlined by Miller and Pepiot would be my first choice.

Add Pages and Cartaya.

2 hours ago, floplag said:

Im going to leave this one alone this time, not worth the headache, but Its kinda funny how if we want to trade for a guy it will cost us the farm but if we trade a guy we wont get anything real in return. 
Youre never going to get full value, we all know that the time for that is long passed and we already blew that, but something is better than nothing. 
I think the Dodgers are waiting on that call and make a lot of sense, but im not going to fight this fight any further... whatever happens, happens. 

Halo farm is more like a small garden.

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

I don’t see how trading him is not an option at this point. 

To me halos are in 8th straight losing season. I would not blame Ohtani for wanting to leave. In fact in some ways may help Angels. All the talk with this team is about Ohtani. Halos have a group of young players to build around. Stop signing big contracts to players build from within. Maybe with first pick in this year's draft we found a 1B. Neto, O'Hoppe, Moniak, Adell, Thaiss, Detmers, Sandoval, Canning let these players we talk about in 2024 and beyond. Trout and Rendon get regular ABs as DH. Minasian tried this off season and with injuries has not worked. Get something for Ohtani. 

30 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

To me halos are in 8th straight losing season. I would not blame Ohtani for wanting to leave. In fact in some ways may help Angels. All the talk with this team is about Ohtani. Halos have a group of young players to build around. Stop signing big contracts to players build from within. Maybe with first pick in this year's draft we found a 1B. Neto, O'Hoppe, Moniak, Adell, Thaiss, Detmers, Sandoval, Canning let these players we talk about in 2024 and beyond. Trout and Rendon get regular ABs as DH. Minasian tried this off season and with injuries has not worked. Get something for Ohtani. 

I agree about building within. Now that they drafted these guys you have to hope that those in the farm system can properly develop them into major leaguers. Only time will tell 

Edited by Jason