• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Hypothetical Ohtani Trade Thread

4 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I think it’s 3 things…

-Arte wants to re-sign Ohtani and doesn’t believe he’ll be able to do it if he trades him. You guys can all say “that’s not true” and you’re technically correct, but I have been told directly that the Angels don’t believe they can re-sign him if they trade him. 

-Arte wants the revenue from two months of Ohtani.

-Arte doesn’t want to be known as the guy who traded Ohtani, especially not now that he’s a rental and it’s unlikely the return is going to be anything too exciting. 

I don’t know what order you’d put those in but those are the reasons. 

I highly doubt the revenue Ohtani provides the last two months will even cover the $10 million he will make in those two months. 

Just now, m0nkey said:

I think it’s 3 things…

-Arte wants to re-sign Ohtani and doesn’t believe he’ll be able to do it if he trades him. You guys can all say “that’s not true” and you’re technically correct, but I have been told directly that the Angels don’t believe they can re-sign him if they trade him. 

-Arte doesn’t want to be known as the guy who traded Ohtani, especially not now that he’s a rental and it’s unlikely the return is going to be anything too exciting. 

This reads very familiar. 

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

And one of those reasons is he thinks he can resign him.  

dude, you're so damn argumentative. 

all i said was, i disagree.

you will recover from this. i promise.

would you like me to go back and pull up your post where you literally say, "the only reason..."

it's not the only reason per jeff fletcher, whom we both agree is actually in the know.

my opinion, which you are free to disagree with, is that arte and carpino are too self absorped and apparently dense to understand that getting nothing in return for ohtani is less than ideal. if he's so serious about signing ohtani that he's afraid he'll be locked out if he trades him, then i have several questions about that. why don't you offer him 600 million dollars yesterday, or the day before? why have you stayed below the luxury tax threshold when ohtani has repeatedly said, i want to play for a winner and the team is desperately in need of talent infusion to the major league roster? if he thinks he can sign ohtani in the FA period, then does he expect to finally blow way way past the luxury tax threshold for the next 12 years? because that's what it's going to take for ANY team that signs him to a 50 or 60+ million per year contract. no team will be able to field a winning team on paper with a single player taking up that much of a de facto salary cap without going over the tax. suddenly arte is willing to do that in perpetuity? why wasn't he willing to do that for the last 6 years with trout and ohtani?

Don't think they trade him, and don't think they should. Return you're looking at is likely a guy that profiles as another Canning, plus a guy that profiles as another Rengifo/Ward. I'd rather just watch Ohtani play out his historic season with the Angels (probably the last such season we as Angels fans will get to see for a long long time if Ohtani leaves after the season) than get a couple of fringe starters that are somehow "better than nothing."

10 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

Don't think they trade him, and don't think they should. Return you're looking at is likely a guy that profiles as another Canning, plus a guy that profiles as another Rengifo/Ward. I'd rather just watch Ohtani play out his historic season with the Angels (probably the last such season we as Angels fans will get to see for a long long time if Ohtani leaves after the season) than get a couple of fringe starters that are somehow "better than nothing."

Yeah, if they are not getting some, legit future talent then you don’t make that trade. If a playoff bound team is desperate enough, they may over pay for him for their run. 

11 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I think it’s 3 things…

You obviously know more about this than io do, but... i see this very differently. 

If he doesnt believe he can re-sign him if he trades him what makes him think he can at all?  Hes had every chance and failed to date. 

The revenue... well thats the ugly truth of it right there. 

Being the guy who traded him is a lot better than the guy that let him walk for nothing.   I dont see how this is even a thing, any other player in this situation would have already been on the block.  No hes not just any player but should that change the logic completely? 

7 minutes ago, floplag said:

Being the guy who traded him is a lot better than the guy that let him walk for nothing.  

Counterpoint: the Rockies are absolutely known as the team that traded Arenado for complete garbage. If you end up getting a mediocre-at-best haul (which is the likely outcome) you will def be known as the guy that traded Ohtani for pennies during an MVP season

2 hours ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

Nobody knows who halos would get or impact of such player or players. What did halos give up for Maldonado?

2 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

Counterpoint: the Rockies are absolutely known as the team that traded Arenado for complete garbage. If you end up getting a mediocre-at-best haul (which is the likely outcome) you will def be known as the guy that traded Ohtani for pennies during an MVP season

Your the team that got nothing for him as he leads Dodgers to first WS win since 1988.

Arte had pretty much said he’s not terribly interested in trading Ohtani because of “the fans”. 

The cynic in you could say it’s about $$$, the romantic could say Arte just wants people to have continued chances to watch something special in Anaheim as long as possible.

Yeah yeah it’s not the best baseball move or best for “winning” but from a very simplistic POV, the Angels are better and more exciting to the average fan with Ohtani, especially if he’s chasing a HR record, and especially if everyone comes back quickly and healthy and the team threatens for a WC still. 

In this same world, to Arte, fixing an Ohtani-sized hole this or making the team better and competitive is a problem to solve this winter, and whatever they get at the deadline isn’t worth what they’d lose.

Edited by totdprods

Yet another reason and more proof that the anchor sinking this franchise is the owner -- Arte.  I'm pretty darn sure the GM believes we should trade Ohtani and should have done so at last years TDL (and then again during this past off season and now).  But Arte.  I wonder if he has any self-awareness and realizes what a complete joke he has become across MLB from fans/media/etc.  One day he'll be gone (one way or another) and maybe then this organization can earn my money again.  

58 minutes ago, floplag said:

You obviously know more about this than io do, but... i see this very differently. 

If he doesnt believe he can re-sign him if he trades him what makes him think he can at all?  Hes had every chance and failed to date. 

The revenue... well thats the ugly truth of it right there. 

Being the guy who traded him is a lot better than the guy that let him walk for nothing.   I dont see how this is even a thing, any other player in this situation would have already been on the block.  No hes not just any player but should that change the logic completely? 

I’m just here to report things people within the Angels have told me. 

You are free to disagree with them or not believe them. 

26 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I’m just here to report things people within the Angels have told me. 

Any idea what the Angels plan is if they don’t sign Ohtani?

Like would Arte even want to own the team anymore?

Would there be repercussions for the front office if they lose Ohtani, even though Arte deserves the large share of the blame if it happens?

45 minutes ago, Skips said:

Yet another reason and more proof that the anchor sinking this franchise is the owner -- Arte.  I'm pretty darn sure the GM believes we should trade Ohtani and should have done so at last years TDL (and then again during this past off season and now).  But Arte.  I wonder if he has any self-awareness and realizes what a complete joke he has become across MLB from fans/media/etc.  One day he'll be gone (one way or another) and maybe then this organization can earn my money again.  

Yeah, but it’s real easy for us here to forget we’re a very small slice of the Angels’ revenue pie, no matter how die-hard we are.

Casual fans are the bread and butter and are gonna guide any fan-spired approach to the team. They can let Ohtani walk, sign a couple free agents, and say they are trying to win and a bulk of the average fan populace will shrug and go with it. It’s why they get guys like Ian Kinsler and Tim Lincecum and Jonathan Lucroy, names the slightly more serious than casual fan will read a press release about, see # of All-Star games said player has been to, and go “oh we’re making moves!”

Edited by totdprods

2 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Any idea what the Angels plan is if they don’t sign Ohtani?

Like would Arte even want to own the team anymore?

Would there be repercussions for the front office if they lose Ohtani, even though Arte deserves the large share of the blame if it happens?

I don’t know about the first two, but I assume that Arte knows he is the one responsible for the Ohtani decision. 

Ohtani is a unicorn.  Nothing he does in within the boundaries of what has been done before.  New rules were created to accommodate his uniqueness.  His contract will not be within the same boundaries of what has been done before.  He's a once-in-a-lifetime player. 

I'd trade his ass in a hot second if this team falls 10 games behind.

However, rather than hand a "For Rent" sign on him, take a photo,  and send the pic to 25 other teams, I'd approach trading him in the same vein as his uniqueness. 

I'd look at the top five farm systems.  Find the playoff teams.  Eliminate the Dodgers, Yankees, and maybe the Rangers. 

Let's choose Tampa.  I'd call Tampa and tell them I want their number 1.  One from the 10-15 range.  And one from 20-25 range. 

And I'd tell them I would pay the full freight on Ohtani for the year.  Free.  Gratis. How could TAMPA say 'no" to that???

Give em some time to mull it over, but argue that flags fly forever and this guy is a true DIFFERENCE.  MAKER.  Also, I target Tampa because they have GUYS, not just guys.  Further, I would be completely and totally shocked if Tampa ponied up the finances to extend a contract to Ohtani, which guarantees he hits the free agent market (rather than a potential deal from the Dodgers, Yankees, and possibly the Rangers). (And also, who wants to play forever in that shitty dome?!)

Tampa says no.  I just move on to, say, the Diamondbacks.  Same deal.

In the offseason, the Angels might hope to persuade him to come back thanks to the new depth in talent the team has acquired. 

Okay.  Enough fantasizing...back to work.