• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte Moreno talks to NY Post

mmc

12 minutes ago, ukyah said:

that's an interesting last sentence. i've realized slowly that i really don't care much about the angels or any other team any more. i just like baseball. the business of baseball has stolen my fanhood from me. i don't care for arte as an owner and i don't really care for him as a personality type either for that matter. if they completely blow the ohtani situation, don't sign him and don't trade him for maximum value, then i think i'd keep an eye on the angels because i like some of their players still, and i'd probably become a fan of the team ohtani signs with because i actually enjoy watching him play and i do like him as a person as well, from what i've seen of him.

If you’re saying you’re a baseball fan first, I feel that way too.  But I’ve followed the Angels for a long time, even before FA (which was fun because players stayed on one team unless traded).  The business part sucks in many ways.  The scandals, the loosing, it gets old.  But I’m too stubborn to switch teams.

5 hours ago, Revad said:

If you’re saying you’re a baseball fan first, I feel that way too.  But I’ve followed the Angels for a long time, even before FA (which was fun because players stayed on one team unless traded).  The business part sucks in many ways.  The scandals, the loosing, it gets old.  But I’m too stubborn to switch teams.

i understand, but i lack that stubborness. i look at it like any other relationship. if i'm not happy with it at all, then i'll bounce. it's not a threat or anything like that. i just thought it was interesting that i feel more invested in ohtani than i do the angels.

35 minutes ago, Kotchman said:

Can’t fault arte if he decides to go the prospect route and not take the half a billion dollar risk. I spent 15k on a fence for the 10 year old family dogs but the wiser decision was probably putting them up for adoption. 

I can fault him. If he does that, he likely won't see a championship before he exits. We have an extremely narrow window due to aging stars and a bottom tier farm, and unless you get extremely lucky with prospects (most trades for superstars don't), you're left with a gigantic hole in the rotation and a solid one in the lineup as well. Maybe you can sign Nola in the off-season, and maybe whoever you trade for replaces Ohtani's value quickly, but that's such an infinitesimally small likelihood that it seems absurd to even consider it. Basically, we're screwed if he leaves. Our only shot in the short term necessitates going all in now. Hopefully Arte has committed enough money to competing this season, but I'd like our chances better with a couple of more small moves. 

25 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

I can fault him. If he does that, he likely won't see a championship before he exits. We have an extremely narrow window due to aging stars and a bottom tier farm, and unless you get extremely lucky with prospects (most trades for superstars don't), you're left with a gigantic hole in the rotation and a solid one in the lineup as well. Maybe you can sign Nola in the off-season, and maybe whoever you trade for replaces Ohtani's value quickly, but that's such an infinitesimally small likelihood that it seems absurd to even consider it. Basically, we're screwed if he leaves. Our only shot in the short term necessitates going all in now. Hopefully Arte has committed enough money to competing this season, but I'd like our chances better with a couple of more small moves. 

I hope arte signs him but we can’t pretend he isn’t fragile. He’s not alone in that regard but were likely paying him to play both ways. If he’s out we’re taking the loss both ways.  At best we get 4-6 good years from him. At worst arte gets screwed out of 500 million and the team sucks for another 10 years. That’s a lot of eggs in one basket 

2 hours ago, Lou said:

I don't see it as a competition. I'm an Angels fan, therefore I am a fan of Angels players. 

Once they leave the team I don't care about them. 

I used to be like that but as I get older I realize I’m more a fan of the game and the individual players. I watch the sport to see humans accomplish great physical achievements. I want to see them make impossible plays and place perfectly bending pitches. I like to see who is leading in WHIP, OPS+ and whatever other new stat the post Bill James’ autist cult is currently stroking it to. 

Let’s be real. If Arte moved this team to Mexico City would you really care about this organization anymore? Absolutely not. It’s about the players’ extraordinary ability to play the game and that’s why I love the new balanced schedule. It’s one of the few things MLB has done right in the past decade. I get to see all of the best baseball talent of the entire league through the haze of our ghetto soundtrack, seizure inducing, stadium entertainment system. 

Edited by Lhalo

17 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

I have faith in Arte to spend money on a marketable player since that's what we seems to care most about. 

I still think this is a really ignorant narrative or at the very least an incomplete narrative. He’s spent big money on one marketable player, Albert.  Albert was marketable because he’ was arguably the best player of his generation. He gave Trout the largest contract ever because first and foremost he’s a generational talent. If Trout was good he’s not marketable, but since he’s inner circle HOF great, he’s marketable. Rendon, Hamilton, Wells, Upton, basically zero marketability. They were brought in to produce, so the team could win, which would benefit the club’s overall brand.  They haven’t produced. 

I would really love to read an impartial deep dive into the Angels organization and how it compares to others. I think that the conditions for Minor League players (which are terrible everywhere) and the report about there being only a handful of scouts (which seems to have been fixed) really have people thinking that the Angels are little better than an independent league outfit. I half suspect that we'd actually be somewhere in the middle when it comes to things like research, stats, baseball opps, and scouting (really, everyone is below the Astros, Dodgers, Braves, Rays, and Yankees here) while below average in Minor League accommodations - but I could be way off. 

Sure -- there are reasons these narratives exist-- but it's also fair to say that these reasons can stretch back into the Stoneman era, which was 15+ ago. In reality, no one outside of the industry really has an idea about what the Angels are doing and how it compares to the best/worst in the business. 

56 minutes ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

I would really love to read an impartial deep dive into the Angels organization and how it compares to others. I think that the conditions for Minor League players (which are terrible everywhere) and the report about there being only a handful of scouts (which seems to have been fixed) really have people thinking that the Angels are little better than an independent league outfit. I half suspect that we'd actually be somewhere in the middle when it comes to things like research, stats, baseball opps, and scouting (really, everyone is below the Astros, Dodgers, Braves, Rays, and Yankees here) while below average in Minor League accommodations - but I could be way off. 

Sure -- there are reasons these narratives exist-- but it's also fair to say that these reasons can stretch back into the Stoneman era, which was 15+ ago. In reality, no one outside of the industry really has an idea about what the Angels are doing and how it compares to the best/worst in the business. 

If you haven’t seen it, Jeff Fletcher wrote what I considered to be a impartial three part series.

21 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Strad loves Arte.

Stradling is indifferent about Arte and thinks its lazy to blame him for everything.  This isn’t difficult. Fans want easy answers and they want villains.  It used to all be Scioscia’s fault.  Now it is all Arte’s fault.  It’s lazy. 

15 hours ago, Lou said:

Mike Trout.

Not what im talking about.
To extend Ohtani and finish the roster will require Arte to go over the tax, at least for a couple years... To date he has been adamant about not doing this. 
I hope Trout history repeats, which would mean Ohtani extends this spring.
But that has to come with a willingness to finish the job or what does it gain us?
Right now the parts we need are out there, even this late in the spring, but there is no way they fit under the budget without the tax.
Extending Ohtani alone isnt enough.  

56 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Stradling is indifferent about Arte and thinks its lazy to blame him for everything.  This isn’t difficult. Fans want easy answers and they want villains.  It used to all be Scioscia’s fault.  Now it is all Arte’s fault.  It’s lazy. 

Ultimately the buck stops with him, so fair or not, he's responsible.

He also barely talks to the fans or media anymore (like he used to), so fans are going to speculate. If the organization was in a good place the radio silence wouldn't matter as much.

7 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Ultimately the buck stops with him, so fair or not, he's responsible.

He also barely talks to the fans or media anymore (like he used to), so fans are going to speculate. If the organization was in a good place the radio silence wouldn't matter as much.

The buck stops with every owner of every business, so again it’s lazy. Blaming everything on the owner also means only one person is accountable in the fans eyes. Minasian gave Syndergaard over $20 million last year.  That’s on Perry not on Arte. 

I don’t give a shit if he does interviews because those seldom add value. That’s why keeping Ohtani is much more important than asking him why he didn’t sell.  Why doesn’t matter, he’s still here, that’s what matters. Now if the questions were, “now that you aren’t selling what do you think you’ll do different”.  He won’t give a good answer but it’s a much better question then, “what went into making you decide to keep the team”.  One question is asked from a moving on point of view and the other is tell us why something happened.  

I think today Ohtani signing with the Angels is probably about 40%.  If he doesn’t sign before opening day it’s probably more like 5%

Arte presumably has something of a functioning brain.  That means he will be making his best offer to get this over with at some point before opening day.  If Ohtani doesn’t take it then that’s probably that.  Whether the Angels keep rolling the dice and keep him beyond the trade deadline is up for debate.  That would be a lose/lose situation so I’m not going to take a position on it. 

All I have to say is that is if they do re-sign him they better make a commitment to a very high payroll for the duration of the contract.  Otherwise it’s Ohtani plus agjng Trout and Rendon and the collection of scrubs we’ve seen over the past decade.

They also better pray he can keep the 2-way thing going deep into the contract or else they’ll have a $50 million/year DH.

Trading him last year or even now is probably the best thing for this team long term.  

14 hours ago, Lou said:

I don't see it as a competition. I'm an Angels fan, therefore I am a fan of Angels players. 

Once they leave the team I don't care about them. 

Yeah I won't become a Mets fan because Ohtani pitches for them every 6 days.