• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte Moreno talks to NY Post

mmc

1 hour ago, cals said:

All I have to say is that is if they do re-sign him they better make a commitment to a very high payroll for the duration of the contract.  Otherwise it’s Ohtani plus agjng Trout and Rendon and the collection of scrubs we’ve seen over the past decade.

They also better pray he can keep the 2-way thing going deep into the contract or else they’ll have a $50 million/year DH.

Trading him last year or even now is probably the best thing for this team long term.  

You’re mostly right I think. 

14 minutes ago, Kotchman said:

I don’t love our chances with over 120 million invested in 3 players with significant injury histories. 

But here we are.  If Arte wants to play with the big boys he’s going to have to up the ante and go over the tax, at least until he funds the entire organization for 3-4 years.

12 minutes ago, Revad said:

But here we are.  If Arte wants to play with the big boys he’s going to have to up the ante and go over the tax, at least until he funds the entire organization for 3-4 years.

Yes but we need to avoid tunnel vision. I don’t see Ohtani playing both ways forever. If we can get him at a good price then go for it. If he wants 50 over 10 years , I’m dealing him. 

6 minutes ago, Kotchman said:

Yes but we need to avoid tunnel vision. I don’t see Ohtani playing both ways forever. If we can get him at a good price then go for it. If he wants 50 over 10 years , I’m dealing him. 

$50m will buy an ace and a star position player.  The DH position would be open for Trout and Rendon.  Five man rotation.  I can see trading him.  Imagine we had traded Ohtani at last year’s deadline and eaten some of the Iglesias money for prospects.

23 minutes ago, Revad said:

$50m will buy an ace and a star position player.  The DH position would be open for Trout and Rendon.  Five man rotation.  I can see trading him.  Imagine we had traded Ohtani at last year’s deadline and eaten some of the Iglesias money for prospects.

Yes we aren’t in a great position but we we have some pieces. I wouldn’t be upset to see ohtani go to shit wearing dodger blue while we signed two studs for multiple ws runs. 

25 minutes ago, Kotchman said:

Yes we aren’t in a great position but we we have some pieces. I wouldn’t be upset to see ohtani go to shit wearing dodger blue while we signed two studs for multiple ws runs. 

And what happens if, as has been the case before, the Angels sign two studs who are busts and/or get hurt?

36 minutes ago, Kotchman said:

Which two $25M/yr players are going to be an upgrade over Ohtani?

24 minutes ago, Revad said:

How about a $30m pitcher and a $20m left fielder?  Plus whatever prospects you get from trading Ohtani?

Right, because $30/M pitchers want to sign with a team that consists of Mike Trout and a bunch of question marks.

37 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

With an owner who stays under lux tax

Yes, I want to keep Ohtani but I don’t see how we move forward quickly without going over.  If Artie stays under the tax but fully funds the entire organization we would eventually get there.  Someday.

35 minutes ago, Revad said:

Yes, I want to keep Ohtani but I don’t see how we move forward quickly without going over.  If Artie stays under the tax but fully funds the entire organization we would eventually get there.  Someday.

It's been about 2 decades. Any chance you learn how to spell Arte's name correctly? 

One thing signing Ohtani does is it gives the farm time to develop. So while we can’t see a scenario now how the team consistently competes and stays around the threshold, if the farm starts producing it’s possible. If you don’t have to dip into free agency to get a $9 million utility guy or $7 million a piece for 3-4 relief pitchers.  It’s entirely possible to pay $115-120 on three guys and compete.  

38 minutes ago, Stradling said:

One thing signing Ohtani does is it gives the farm time to develop. So while we can’t see a scenario now how the team consistently competes and stays around the threshold, if the farm starts producing it’s possible. If you don’t have to dip into free agency to get a $9 million utility guy or $7 million a piece for 3-4 relief pitchers.  It’s entirely possible to pay $115-120 on three guys and compete.  

How does signing Ohtani give the farm time to develop?

If anything, they might rush more prospects if they sign Ohtani, since they can’t fill holes through free agency.