• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte Moreno talks to NY Post

mmc

10 hours ago, Kotchman said:

This is likely. Ohtani is not exactly risk free. 

If it’s likely that the two guys the Angels sign instead would be busts or injured, how would they be “studs for multiple WS runs?”

12 hours ago, Kotchman said:

Yes we aren’t in a great position but we we have some pieces. I wouldn’t be upset to see ohtani go to shit wearing dodger blue while we signed two studs for multiple ws runs. 

8 minutes ago, Trendon said:

How does signing Ohtani give the farm time to develop?

If anything, they might rush more prospects if they sign Ohtani, since they can’t fill holes through free agency.

Who’s getting rushed? What position player of pitcher will be rushed next season?  Who on the team can they not afford next year, with an Ohtani extension?  Renfroe?  Urshela? 

12 minutes ago, Trendon said:

If it’s likely that the two guys the Angels sign instead would be busts or injured, how would they be “studs for multiple WS runs?”

Based on our history we’re likely screwed either way. One way doesn’t tie up 50 million for 10 years. 

23 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Who’s getting rushed? What position player of pitcher will be rushed next season?  Who on the team can they not afford next year, with an Ohtani extension?  Renfroe?  Urshela? 

You’re the one who said that ”one thing signing Ohtani does is it gives the farm time to develop.”

22 minutes ago, Trendon said:

You’re the one who said that ”one thing signing Ohtani does is it gives the farm time to develop.”

It gives them time to develop because he is immensely talented and gives you an excellent hitter and pitcher.  It gives it time to develop because you aren’t signing free agents that cost draft picks.  

I’m afraid I don’t understand Arte.  I can see that he’s done an excellent job at building the value of his investment, and I appreciate that he’s put an entertaining product out there.  But what about some out of the box thinking.  If the interview was not going to be with Fletcher or Blum, why not do a podcast with Fangraphs?  Or with Chuck, for that matter.  Just provide a little encouragement to the fans, it would get folks excited for the season.

On 2/11/2023 at 9:35 AM, Stradling said:

They can’t realistically add multiple top free agents if they resign Ohtani to $50M contract. They need to be careful how they structure it for the next three seasons (24-26) while Rendon is under contract. Guys like Tepera / Loup are free agents as well as Urshela and Renfroe. I would only expect one of each set to return.

This gives you the same basic payroll as they have this year. 

6 minutes ago, Hubs said:

They can’t realistically add multiple top free agents if they resign Ohtani to $50M contract. They need to be careful how they structure it for the next three seasons (24-26) while Rendon is under contract. Guys like Tepera / Loup are free agents as well as Urshela and Renfroe. I would only expect one of each set to return.

This gives you the same basic payroll as they have this year. 

Why do they need to add multiple top free agents?  

9 minutes ago, TempeAngel said:

It's such an Arte move to talk to the New York Post/Heyman instead of the local media.

In the past this would have pissed me off but now I don't really care that Arte has a "special" relationship with Heyman.

I don't think it means anything. I think Heyman hung around the owners meetings and caught Arte. If I had to speculate, I'd guess Arte actually decided to talk to him because of this whole "rejuvenation" thing. He's ignored all media for 3 years and suddenly he has a 5-minute conversation with Heyman? A chat that seems to be pretty casual and open. I'd posit that there's something different, at least in his head. A 76 year-old doesn't turn down $2 billion because he's greedy. And remember, he's not leaving it to his kids, and they probably are already set up for life. I'm guessing he's more open to speaking with the media and will at Spring Training. 

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Why do they need to add multiple top free agents?  

They don’t. I’m pretty happy with this team. I’d like it better if they had a long term solution at short and in the other corner OF. Probably will need bullpen help. As players become more expensive they will have to adjust. But this team worked fine with three big money players… the only reason we didn’t win is that they were the wrong three. Pujols and Wells and Hamilton and later Pujols and Upton were not the right big money guys

This organization has done almost everything wrong over the past 15 years and there has only been one constant throughout that time...

Arte wont speak to the media because he is ashamed. Perhaps his decision to break his seal of silence to John Hymen symbolizes an expectation to have less shame going forward. Fingers crossed, but don't hold your breath!

1 hour ago, Revad said:

If the interview was not going to be with Fletcher or Blum, why not do a podcast with Fangraphs?

Come on. I love FanGraphs, but no MLB owner is gonna go on a FanGraphs podcast.

MLB owners rarely speak period. They don’t go on podcasts. And if they do, it’s few and far between and on a prominent podcast.

3 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Come on. I love FanGraphs, but no MLB owner is gonna go on a FanGraphs podcast.

MLB owners rarely speak period. They don’t go on podcasts. And if they do, it’s few and far between and on a prominent podcast.

Outside of the box thinking.  Part of your brand should be doing things differently than your competitors.  Is it realistic?  Your definitely correct on that, but if he wants to change the fan’s perspective on things he needs to take action.

1 minute ago, Revad said:

Outside of the box thinking.  Part of your brand should be doing things differently than your competitors.  Is it realistic?  Your definitely correct on that, but if he wants to change the fan’s perspective on things he needs to take action.

I don’t think he wants to change fan’s perspective.

If he cared about their perspective, he would’ve sold the team.

Caught a clip of Flipping Bats recently with Ben Verlander and Alex Curry where they were talking about the Angels. She was talking a bit about Arte in regards to how he doesn't say much publicly and she commented that Arte isn't very comfortable doing public speaking. I'd imagine that's why he avoids interviews: Because he's concerned about how he'll come across. He'd rather say nothing and let windbags like Blum whine about it all day and the rest of us speculate what he's thinking, apparently. Personally, I don't think he has to say anything. He's a billionaire. If he wants to say nothing, there's nothing in the owner regulations that require a hardball interview every year - or any public comments at all. Obviously we'd all prefer to hear from him, but at this point it's pretty obvious he has little interest in doing that.