• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte Moreno talks to NY Post

mmc

I personally really don't care that much about Ohtani coming back, to be honest.  I mean I'd certainly prefer to have him than not have him, but it won't really do anything in terms of affecting how happy I am with the team.  If they give him an extension but continue their philosophy for every other aspect of the organization, it will do nothing in terms of helping us win.  We couldn't win with Ohtani when he was cheap, it's going to be even harder with him on a massive contract

5 minutes ago, mmc said:

I personally really don't care that much about Ohtani coming back, to be honest.  I mean I'd certainly prefer to have him than not have him, but it won't really do anything in terms of affecting how happy I am with the team.  If they give him an extension but continue their philosophy for every other aspect of the organization, it will do nothing in terms of helping us win.  We couldn't win with Ohtani when he was cheap, it's going to be even harder with him on a massive contract

That's a good point. But at the same time Eppler and Minasian until this past offseason has failed to put a rich roster of major league depth together to build around Trout, Ohtani and Rendon. If all three of our superstars stay healthy over an entire season, combined with our starting pitching staff and position player depth, I like our chances this season.

But to your point, if Ohtani flat out says he wants to play out this season without any distractions for a contract extension, you have to look at the Orioles, Dodgers, Reds and Cardinals in a trade since their farm systems are loaded. 

26 minutes ago, mmc said:

There’s part of me that wonders if Ohtani leaving would actually be beneficial for the Angels long-term, as it could be a wake-up call to Arte and cause him to change the things he’s refused to do. Like going over the luxury tax, investing in player development, potentially embracing a rebuild, etc.

I‘d still prefer for him to sign an extension and not find out though, because there’s also a very real possibility that it changes nothing.

Edited by Trendon

Just now, Trendon said:

There’s part of me that wonders if Ohtani leaving would actually be beneficial for the Angels, as it could be a wake-up call to Arte.

I‘d still prefer for him to sign an extension and not find out though, because there’s also a very real possibility that it changes nothing.

I really think it would be a huge gamble to get past the trade deadline without a deal in place for Ohtani if he wants to test FA. I mean if we can get a team's top two prospects that are close or a couple young studs already in the big leagues and then try for Ohtani in the offseason, you have to think about that. 

You can't let him walk and get nothing in return IMO. 

27 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I agree, but it all depends on what Arte thinks.

If he doesn't want to trade Ohtani, he’s not trading Ohtani. Even if the Angels are out of contention at the deadline and there’s no extension in place.

Reading his comments at the NY Post yesterday, I got the sense that’s he’s not gonna trade Ohtani.

I think he’d rather claim “we tried” on Ohtani and see him walk for $500M+ in free agency rather than trade him.

7 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I agree, but it all depends on what Arte thinks.

If he doesn't want to trade Ohtani, he’s not trading Ohtani. Even if the Angels are out of contention at the deadline and there’s no extension in place.

Reading his comments at the NY Post yesterday, I got the sense that’s he’s not gonna trade Ohtani.

I think he’d rather claim “we tried” on Ohtani and see him walk for $500M+ in free agency rather than trade him.

Perry Minasian would need to lean on Arte if that scenario presents itself since he's responsible for the future of the team. You can still try to sign him in the offseason.

I'm a huge Ohtani fan, but I'm an Angels fan first. 

17 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

On the other hand, is he willing to do whatever it takes to bring in Ohtani? 100% yes. That is by far the most important question that needs answering from open Angels perspective, imo. 

We hope he's "willing to do whatever it takes to bring in Ohtani"... but it's far from a "100% yes" (and we won't know until Ohtani actually signs his next contract)...

He's saying the right things, but I can't be the only person that got a chill down his spine by the thought that this could just end up being public posturing and propaganda...

I hope I'm wrong...

18 minutes ago, Deek said:

We hope he's "willing to do whatever it takes to bring in Ohtani"... but it's far from a "100% yes" (and we won't know until Ohtani actually signs his next contract)...

He's saying the right things, but I can't be the only person that got a chill down his spine by the thought that this could just end up being public posturing and propaganda...

I hope I'm wrong...

This has occurred to me, but I think Arte wants to win.  If Ohtani leaves, would that change his decision as to keeping the team?

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

I really think it would be a huge gamble to get past the trade deadline without a deal in place for Ohtani if he wants to test FA. I mean if we can get a team's top two prospects that are close or a couple young studs already in the big leagues and then try for Ohtani in the offseason, you have to think about that. 

If we trade Ohtani for that type of return and then signed Nola, I think we’d be ahead of the game.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

You simply can't trade Ohtani if the Angels have a shot at the post-season.  A team with Ohtani has a better shot of making a long post-season run than this team without him.

I was honestly very bothered by his comments.
Im down on him right now so its entirely possible im misreading it but "wed like to" ?!?!?! 
Not well make every effort" or "well do what it takes"... just, "wed like to"... seriously?
Thats not reassuring in the the least. 
This has to get settled on way or another before opening day.  Extend him or trade him, but do it now. 

18 minutes ago, floplag said:

I was honestly very bothered by his comments.
Im down on him right now so its entirely possible im misreading it but "wed like to" ?!?!?! 
Not well make every effort" or "well do what it takes"... just, "wed like to"... seriously?
Thats not reassuring in the the least. 
This has to get settled on way or another before opening day.  Extend him or trade him, but do it now. 

Definitely overanalyzing his statement.

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Perry Minasian would need to lean on Arte if that scenario presents itself since he's responsible for the future of the team. You can still try to sign him in the offseason.

The problem is that Arte is Perry’s boss and even if Perry is adamant that Ohtani should be traded, it doesn’t matter if Arte says no.

I agree 100% with your last statement.

2 hours ago, Deek said:

I hope I'm wrong...

You misread my post. Fair, since I probably wrote it poorly. But nonetheless, I was contrasting with the other topic that we don't care about: Namely, why Arte took the team off the market. I was saying that the Ohtani extension is by contrast 100% of interest. 

4 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

that's an interesting last sentence. i've realized slowly that i really don't care much about the angels or any other team any more. i just like baseball. the business of baseball has stolen my fanhood from me. i don't care for arte as an owner and i don't really care for him as a personality type either for that matter. if they completely blow the ohtani situation, don't sign him and don't trade him for maximum value, then i think i'd keep an eye on the angels because i like some of their players still, and i'd probably become a fan of the team ohtani signs with because i actually enjoy watching him play and i do like him as a person as well, from what i've seen of him.