• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Latest on Angels sale

11 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

That philosophy didn't work so well with Pujols' 10 yr. deal. After the first 5 or 6 years of that 15 years you're talking about you may begin to care a lot. It's not guaranteed he'll be worth the money long term. When was the last time a long contract worked out for the entire contract. Hoping for a player that's no longer earning his money, to retire is futile if Pujols is any indication.

Yeah, I'd be more inclined to do something like 5 years, $300M than 10+ years at $400-500M.  I realize I'm probably in the minority in terms of how to approach it, though.  He'd be 34 at the end of a deal like that.  I suspect he won't be a two-way player (or might not be dominant at both, at least) by that age.  I'm more than comfortable letting someone else pay for his down years. 

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yeah, I'd be more inclined to do something like 5 years, $300M than 10+ years at $400-500M.  I realize I'm probably in the minority in terms of how to approach it, though.  He'd be 34 at the end of a deal like that.  I suspect he won't be a two-way player (or might not be dominant at both, at least) by that age.  I'm more than comfortable letting someone else pay for his down years. 

I could see something like an opt out after the first 3 years where he gets more during that time.  

2 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I could see something like an opt out after the first 3 years where he gets more during that time.  

If Ohtani signs an extension with the Angels before reaching free agency, I think an opt-out clause would be almost a given.

That way if the new vision of the owner doesn’t play out, he has an escape hatch.

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

Just throwing it out there.  But what if it's not a group, but a company?  Remember that Nintendo bought the Mariners.

And the company that comes to mind.  Honda.  American Honda is headquartered in Torrance.  Their biggest US market tends to be So Cal.  They have a huge sports presence in So Cal.  Honda Center, Rose Parade, they were title sponsor to the LA Marthon, Long Beach Grand Prix is sponsored by Acura.  Ohtani would be a perfect sponsor for them, both in the US and Japan.  Actually would fit their marketing that they are currently running.   And their original logo that they still use on motorcycles is a wing.  

A company also might be easier for a guy like Epstein to lead, than a group that is composed of different people that may want different things. I.E., you may have some that are worried about profit/loss, some that want to be more hands on, etc.  With a company, he would just deal with the company.  And what their goals are.  You would have to deal with budgets, but with the type of company Honda is, you could develop it into more of a marketing/advertising budget for all of Honda's ventures.  In 2021, Honda's advertising budget was $1.07 billion.  Which is down from the $1.39 billion they were spending pre pandemic.  If the Angels could get a part of that $300 million that they were spending before, on top of their other revenues.  That would put us in the big boy category.

Corporations are too bottom line and budget oriented. One bad year for the company and they are ready to bail out. Just like Disney did. i think Nintendo did too. If you bust the budget, then heads roll. If they don't get their expected Return on Investment,they consider it a bad investment and move on. To do it right, i think with the stadium issues, minor league housing and minor league development improvements, the new owner{or owners} should have 6-7 billion available to invest.

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I'm not sure on his being worth $50M/yr for ever. But for the first few he maybe worth $60M. After that his value will shrink. 11 year contract would scare me if l was 30 years younger, but I'm thinking I'll be very lucky to see the end of an 11 years contract.

I’m with you there.  Not only is not my money but I may not see the downside.

10 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I guess if you front load ahead of an opt though you are essentially incentivizing the player to opt out.  

Definitely.  Plus I’m not liking these two year contracts with the second year an opt out.  So we sign Wacha to a two year $20 million deal where he gets $10 million foe the first year, then if he pitches well he renegotiates the existing agreement or goes FA and if he pitches poorly he’s guaranteed $10 million next year.

46 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I guess if you front load ahead of an opt though you are essentially incentivizing the player to opt out.  

31 minutes ago, Revad said:

Definitely.  Plus I’m not liking these two year contracts with the second year an opt out.  So we sign Wacha to a two year $20 million deal where he gets $10 million foe the first year, then if he pitches well he renegotiates the existing agreement or goes FA and if he pitches poorly he’s guaranteed $10 million next year.

Yeah, I honestly don't know why teams do them.  They're never good for the team.  I guess if that's the only way they have a chance at a player for even a limited time, some teams are willing to take the risk?  The Javier Baez deal is a perfect example of this.

On 1/1/2023 at 12:57 PM, Blarg said:

Shiong is Chinese, Ohtani Japanese. The two cultures do not get along, never had, so don't think for a moment that the sale gives any guarantees to extending Ohtani's contract. 

The dude was born in South Africa.... His parents fled during WW2. 

It's not like the guy is fresh from Wuhan China.....

On 1/1/2023 at 8:55 AM, Warfarin said:

Okay, but I guess more specifically - what is it about his style of management that is poor?  What is wrong with the LAT that is worse than other similar kinds of media (i.e. newspapers in general)?  What has he done with the Lakers (given he is only a minority part of ownership) that has led to poor results?

Have you picked up the latest edition of the LA times, it’s not very good. 

Slanted far left to put it mildly.

I just don’t want the team I root for going woke. Pushing values that go against mine. That’s my fear with guy from the LA Times. 

Edited by HaloBronco

15 hours ago, Rico said:

Poor boy.  I want someone/group that can rival Cohen. 

because lacob has had such a hard time spending and winning with the warriors? i'll give you some news, they're not spending their own money on payroll, neither is cohen. the determining factor isn't their net worth, it's how much money they want to drain out of the franchise every year. cohen has shown that isn't his goal and so has lacob.

2 hours ago, HaloBronco said:

I just don’t want the team I root for going woke. Pushing values that go against mine. That’s my fear with guy from the LA Times. 

i'm not pro LAT owner, but what you spoke of is what i've been living with moreno.

4 hours ago, HaloBronco said:

I’m with you Bronco.  Keep that crap out of my baseball team.  Don’t worry about those face plants emoji responses.  At least one is from a person who thinks all of us are garbage for being “poor and uncultured”.  Not much we can do about that.

8 hours ago, HaloBronco said:

Okay.  But I think historically, that's rather transparent and easy to see with most media - political bias in how they report the news, the stories they feature, etc.

Do we see that with sports teams?  So for example, I'm sure a number of owners have strong political views - do we see that readily, on a day to day basis, in how any of these people run their sports franchises?  Just curious.

10 hours ago, HaloBronco said:

I just don’t want the team I root for going woke.

Woke, woke, woke I wish everyone would just lighten up. I am really beginning to hate the word woke. People make such a simple word sound like something evil. l don't care about our new owners politics as long as he puts a competitive team on the field, I'm good with that...

For calling people snowflakes they really have a hard time not being scared of everything. 

the owners political beliefs have almost no impact on a team. The only thing I could see it effecting is the advertisers. It’s not like they sign players from only 1 political system…look at Moreno, he’s in the magaverse and he’s signed all kinds of foreign born players. 

On 1/1/2023 at 1:59 PM, Pancake Bear said:

I've seen discussion of this in the past, but I don't have a number. That would be a better question for @Jeff Fletcher. I doubt he could give you anything precise, but he might have a better rough estimate than anyone on here. The reality is that due to the Japanese market, Ohtani is potentially worth a lot more to an owner than most stars. 

At one point the LA Times cited a source that said $10M a year. I have no independent sources besides that.