• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Now what? What moves would you like to see them make.

Stradling

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I want them to sign Correa, but it's not happening.

I imagine Minasian is on the phones trying to work out trades, and likely will be someone none of us have ever considered or mentioned on here.

My only concern with assuming this is that they went into last season with Fletcher, Duffy, Wade, Mayfield, and Velazquez at 2B/SS.

If they don’t find anyone suitable, I’m concerned they’ll just go with what they have— which isn’t good enough.

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

Corey Kluber on a one-year seems like he’d be a good pickup. 

How much salary would he command for 2023, and how much would Lorenzen take for 2023?

Kluber made pretty much all of his starts in 2022 (31 starts/164 innings) for $8 million, age 37 in 2023.   Had a 6.6/1.0 Ks/BBs ratio in 2022 and only 20 HRs allowed in a hitting friendly division.   Only down side is giving up 178 hits, although WHIP was just 1.21.  No QO was made.

45 minutes ago, Trendon said:

My only concern with assuming this is that they went into last season with Fletcher, Duffy, Wade, Mayfield, and Velazquez at 2B/SS.

If they don’t find anyone suitable, I’m concerned they’ll just go with what they have— which isn’t good enough.

I mean, Fletcher/Rengifo up the middle isn't abysmal, but if someone gets injured - and they will - it gets ugly really fast. 

59 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I feel pretty confident we will see another middle infielder added.  It may not be who people want, but I think Minasian has recognized that this is a key spot that needs more depth and talent.  There is promise in the future (Neto, maybe Soto, maybe Paris), but he needs to bridge the gap to those options.

19 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

That would be a mistake, imo. Dude just isn't that good. He's basically Simmons with BABIP luck and a less impressive glove. 

I agree, he just has the most obvious ties to the current GM. I’d rather give it a go with rengifo and upgrade somewhere else. Maybe benintendi and eovaldi. 

a big contract to swanson scares the crap out of me.  lots of red flags with the bat.  The 3 WAR version is probably sustainable for 3, maybe 4 years.  But it feels like he could go really bad, really fast.  I feel like he's kind of the Jason Heyward of short stops.   I think I could live with around 5/100 but he's gonna get way more than that.  6/150 would make me very uncomfortable.  

4 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

a big contract to swanson scares the crap out of me.  lots of red flags with the bat.  The 3 WAR version is probably sustainable for 3, maybe 4 years.  But it feels like he could go really bad, really fast.  I feel like he's kind of the Jason Heyward of short stops.   I think I could live with around 5/100 but he's gonna get way more than that.  6/150 would make me very uncomfortable.  

Agree. Although I suspect he gets 8/200. But even 6/150 would be a big ugh. 

7 hours ago, Stradling said:

Trade for Brandon Crawford. 

100% this.  He would seem to be the best candidate to acquire amongst the names available, if our goal is to preserve our farm system as much as possible and get a decent player.  

So - acquire Crawford for a 20-30 range prospect, probably ask the Giants to chip in a few mil to make the luxury tax AAV hit around 12-13mil instead of 16mil.  Use whatever remaining money there is (5-7mil, if the aim is to finish below the luxury tax, but who knows if that's the goal) to find a 6th SP candidate (Lugo? Lorenzen?) while continuing to look for interesting reliever options on minor league deals.  Oh, and of course, find a decent 4th OF option.

On 12/13/2022 at 10:28 PM, Stradling said:

Trade for Brandon Crawford. 

Had one of his worst seasons in 2022 (118 games, .652 OPS, 1.2 oWAR, 0.1 dWAR).    
Fletcher gives them not much different numbers for some $10 million less.

Heck, Fletcher put up a 1.5 total WAR in just 61 games.

Heck, even Velazquez put up a 2.1 WAR in 125 games.

Better options than Crawford exist out there for fewer dollars in 2023.

Edited by Angel Oracle

On 12/13/2022 at 10:25 PM, Docwaukee said:

This

2022 was the first time he put up a total WAR over 3.2.

If that doesn’t cry out big contract for career year, nothing does.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Had one of his worst seasons in 2022 (118 games, .652 OPS, 1.2 oWAR, 0.1 dWAR).    
Fletcher gives them not much different numbers for some $10 million less.

Heck, Fletcher put up a 1.5 total WAR in just 61 games.

Heck, even Velazquez put up a 2.1 WAR in 125 games.

Better options than Crawford exist out there for fewer dollars in 2023.

I assume you are using bWAR?  Crawford's fWAR looks considerably better than the other two, but that is a fair point - metrics assess players differently and there is room for variance.

One thing to consider, though, is Crawford is rather strong defensively, and I have to imagine the shift changes will help buoy his value (and Velazquez too), while probably harming Fletcher.  I'm assuming in a trade, the Giants would eat some of the contract - I would not envision any acquiring team would take on the entire value of his remaining year.

Take Minaisan's comments about going over the tax to the bank. (within reason)
Angels have roughy $20M to spend before hitting the tax. 

Sign Eovaldi 3yr/$45M ($15M AAV)(this market is crazy with extra years, bring AAV down)
Sign one of Knebel: up to $7M AAV
Trade package for someone like Hoerner, or someone who is controlled and cost-effective: est up to $6M AAV
Total AAV: $28M

Tax payroll: $240M
Tax owed: $1.4M

Numbers obviously could change, but adding 3 more guys to solidify multiple areas is likely better than getting just Swanson and a cheap bullpen arm.