• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Now what? What moves would you like to see them make.

Stradling

9 hours ago, Rico said:

I would explore trades for Catcher Danny Jansen of the Blue Jays.  Jays been looking to trade him or Kirk to make room for Moreno.  He has two more years of arbitration. Major upgrade over Stassi. 

Minasian is connected to their FO, and I think Jansen would be a huge upgrade, but I'm not sure what we could send them in a trade.  He'd likely cost us one of our top prospects, or at least a chunk of good ones.  I'm not sure our farm system is strong enough to swing a trade for him.  We probably have to go a cheaper route and bridge the gap to O'Hoppe, but I do think Jansen would be a significant catching upgrade.

10 hours ago, Rico said:

I would explore trades for Catcher Danny Jansen of the Blue Jays.  Jays been looking to trade him or Kirk to make room for Moreno.  He has two more years of arbitration. Major upgrade over Stassi. 

Angels traded away Marsh who was to be fixture in OF for 10 years for catcher. It would take so many of our prospects to get Jansen to deplete farm system more. O'Hoppe is catcher halos banking on.

35 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Angels traded away Marsh who was to be fixture in OF for 10 years for catcher. It would take so many of our prospects to get Jansen to deplete farm system more. O'Hoppe is catcher halos banking on.

What made you assume Marsh was going to be the fixture in the OF as you claim? From what I saw from him was anything but a sure thing. Maybe he would have but he’s still a prospect at this time and was at the time they traded him. 

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

What made you assume Marsh was going to be the fixture in the OF as you claim? From what I saw from him was anything but a sure thing. Maybe he would have but he’s still a prospect at this time and was at the time they traded him. 

All the talk and hype he now will be fixture in Phillies OF. 

24 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Vidal Brujan from Tampa, put him at 2B. Young player out of options high OBP in minors and has speed. Rengifo SS, Fletcher and Gio depth. Speed will be important with rule changes. Brujan the next Chone Figgens.

Not a bad call. 

37 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

All the talk and hype he now will be fixture in Phillies OF. 

28 minutes ago, Jason said:

Maybe and if he becomes that guy, good for him. I always liked the dude (mostly for the beard and hair). 

FWIW - Marsh is projected to post a fWAR of 1.1 in 2023 in 461 PA.  O'Hoppe, who hasn't even played in AAA, is "projected" at 2.0 in 267 PA.

Projections are merely just that, but regardless, the predictive systems seem to indicate that O'Hoppe is believed to be a more valuable contributor (in significantly less games).

But all that aside, quite frankly, the Marsh trade was great in terms of the thought process involved.  Marsh's greatest value to any team is when he plays CF, which was just not going to happen here.  A lot of his value would have been wasted in LF (or RF), and so it made sense to ship him out while his value is at its highest for a huge positional need of ours.

26 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Vidal Brujan from Tampa, put him at 2B. Young player out of options high OBP in minors and has speed. Rengifo SS, Fletcher and Gio depth. Speed will be important with rule changes. Brujan the next Chone Figgens.

The idea is great, but the team is probably wrong - it is likely rather hard to outsmart the Rays.  You could swing a trade for a Rays player that is starting to become expensive, but Brujan is not, so I doubt they will trade him.

But that aside, I agree with the thought process.  Speed will likely become a more important factor moving forward, given that it should be easier to steal bases now.

48 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

The idea is great, but the team is probably wrong - it is likely rather hard to outsmart the Rays.  You could swing a trade for a Rays player that is starting to become expensive, but Brujan is not, so I doubt they will trade him.

But that aside, I agree with the thought process.  Speed will likely become a more important factor moving forward, given that it should be easier to steal bases now.

Tampa has 4 INF ahead of him to start season. Vidal out of options and not trying to outsmart Tampa just seeing if we match in trade.

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Weird.  Unless there's some unusual quirk in how he was signed, I don't see how that's possible.  He's only been called up/sent down in two seasons. 

He was added to the 40-man roster ahead of the 2020 season and spent at least 20 days in the minors in 2020, 2021, and 2022.

Therefore, he’s out of options.

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

Tampa has 4 INF ahead of him to start season. Vidal out of options and not trying to outsmart Tampa just seeing if we match in trade.

Good points.  Looking a bit further into his profile, as others have mentioned above, he is indeed out of options.  His scouting report indicates he isn't really a long-term SS option due to his lack of arm strength.

That said - he looks like he could be a very useful rotating bench player.  He can cover all OF positions as well as the middle infield.  He could, in theory, displace Moniak from the roster, serving as the top backup OF, and also cover the middle infield too.

Not sure what his trade cost would be, given that he has 6 years of control remaining and was not too long ago a fairly highly rated prospect.  But we need versatile bench pieces like that.

Knowing how the Rays do business, we could probably trade some of our lower level minor leaguers for him, so that they can free up a 40 man roster spot and continue their player development machine.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

Good points.  Looking a bit further into his profile, as others have mentioned above, he is indeed out of options.  His scouting report indicates he isn't really a long-term SS option due to his lack of arm strength.

That said - he looks like he could be a very useful rotating bench player.  He can cover all OF positions as well as the middle infield.  He could, in theory, displace Moniak from the roster, serving as the top backup OF, and also cover the middle infield too.

Not sure what his trade cost would be, given that he has 6 years of control remaining and was not too long ago a fairly highly rated prospect.  But we need versatile bench pieces like that.

Knowing how the Rays do business, we could probably trade some of our lower level minor leaguers for him, so that they can free up a 40 man roster spot and continue their player development machine.

I put him at 2B. Angels need some players who will be here more than one year. Renfroe and Gio nice additions but gone after this year and maybe at trade deadline. Need younger players for future

I’m wondering if the Angels are kicking tires on Kenta Maeda or Sonny Gray. Twins would probably like to save some money, they missed on the big SS…Rengifo could be of interest, someone like Suarez would always be of interest, Adell could have playing time if they move Kepler as reported. 

Both arms would fit the mold of what the Halos are looking for.