• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Now what? What moves would you like to see them make.

Stradling

On 12/11/2022 at 10:56 AM, Warfarin said:

Good question.  Could potentially build a trade around Suarez + Quero.  I would have to further delve into the Cubs' needs, though, to probably better answer that.

That said, perhaps he isn't available either.  I'm not really positive on who the options are at this point, but I am assuming they will try to swing a trade for a reasonable cost-controlled SS that projects as an average player.

Can’t see Quero being included, given Minasian’s emphasis on catching.

Anyway, trading Suarez necessitates spending more money in 2023 on starting pitching.   I don’t see Moreno budging on not going over tax threshold.

7 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

Where it could fall apart is if an OFer get's hurt.  Theoretically you could have Walsh move to LF with Urshela at 1b.  But then you're basically out of depth unless Thaiss starts hitting the ball and can fill in.  

This is why acquiring a real 4th OF instead of using Moniak in that spot is very important.

Let both he and Adell use 2023 in AAA to prove that one of them can actually step up to be 4th OF in 2024, and be able to contribute for some 60-80 games.

On 12/11/2022 at 11:12 AM, TempeAngel said:

I think Minasian has done a nice job so far with Anderson, Urshela and Renfroe so even if he is unable to upgrade at SS or add another SP we are a better team and could compete for the wild card. From here, my priorities would be:

1. Find a way to keep Ohtani. Sign him before he becomes a free agent if possible. He should have an Angels cap on his plaque in Cooperstown - Next to Vladi and Trout.

2. Find an upgrade at SS but don't trade Sandoval to get one. He is a top of the rotation pitcher with four more years of control. It's probably through a trade but I would be happy with Swanson. His defense is more valuable than ever without a shift. If Swanson goes to the Cubs then a trade for Hoerner would be great.

3. Find a 6th starting pitcher. Maybe it is Canning. He's healthy and started a throwing program last month. Maybe it's Lorenzen. If they are willing to go over the Luxury cap then sign Rodon for 5/135

Concur, except I worry about Rodon’s shoulder holding up for that long.

Perry has done a good job adding depth and now it's time to make the splash for top-end talent. 
The depth makes it safer should something happen to Rendon. Falling back on Urshela is much better than Soto/Velazquez. 

Sign Correa. He doesn't have a QO attached to him and it immediately impacts the lineup and defense. 

Hold on to all depth/prospects to fill in the gaps for what's needed in the playoffs. 

To me, the Angels are fringe WC contenders with their current lineup. the AL has a ton of very very good teams. 

What i would like, isnt likely to happen.

I think the real impact is largely gone, short of going ham, which most feel wont happen. and we dont have the farm to make any significant trades without taking back bad contracts and that goes back to the budget issue again.

Ive soured on Swanson as i believe he will be grossly overpaid for what he will produce and if the budget constraints are true Correa was never an option, nor is Rodon.

Dont get me wrong there are good players left/out there, but none that will make us suddenly competitive with Hou or more than a wildcard contender and i dont think thats going to be enough to retain Ohtani.

Perry is going to have to pull a rabbit out of his hat to get what the club needs and stay out of the tax.   

1 minute ago, floplag said:

I think the real impact is largely gone, short of going ham, which most feel wont happen. and we dont have the farm to make any significant trades without taking back bad contracts and that goes back to the budget issue again.

Ive soured on Swanson as i believe he will be grossly overpaid for what he will produce and if the budget constraints are true Correa was never an option, nor is Rodon.

Dont get me wrong there are good players left/out there, but none that will make us suddenly competitive with Hou or more than a wildcard contender and i dont think thats going to be enough to retain Ohtani.

Perry is going to have to pull a rabbit out of his hat to get what the club needs and stay out of the tax.   

Needs to pull SS out of hat

Just heard on Hot Stove from a Jim Callis interview that nobody should be surprised if the Braves make Max Fried available. How good would he look in the Angel rotation. The big question is what would you have to give up to get him? He's a second year arb guy expected to get something like 12.5 mil.

After looking at it again, I will take this team as is, with every position they have exactly as it is now, if they just sign Dansby Swanson.

If they Sign Correa, I'll be pissed because the Astros cheat, not cheated, they cheat, they continue to cheat, and all of the guys seemingly have worse careers elsewhere. 

But the reliability, the OBP, the consistency of Swanson is why I want him. He's missed 2 games in the past 3 seasons. His numbers are remarkably consistent, for those saying he only had one good year. His 2020 was exactly the same as his 2022, and his 2021 and 2019 were similar. So most likely he's between these two ranges, but he's also only 28 almost 29, so on a 7 year deal, you're mostly getting his prime years.

He's cheaper than Correa, and not a cheater.

2 hours ago, floplag said:

I’m not sure there was ever a realistic plan that would have us be better or on par with Houston on paper.  If you get in via the Wild Card you can win the World Series.  Philly wasn’t better on paper than Atlanta, the Mets, the Dodgers or the Padres, yet they made it to the World Series.  A rotation that starts with Ohtani and Sandoval can win a wild card round, then you are simply another team in the playoffs, and how you got there is inconsequential.  This team will be as good this year as the health of Trout, Ohtani and Rendon.  

29 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’m not sure there was ever a realistic plan that would have us be better or on par with Houston on paper.  If you get in via the Wild Card you can win the World Series.  Philly wasn’t better on paper than Atlanta, the Mets, the Dodgers or the Padres, yet they made it to the World Series.  A rotation that starts with Ohtani and Sandoval can win a wild card round, then you are simply another team in the playoffs, and how you got there is inconsequential.  This team will be as good this year as the health of Trout, Ohtani and Rendon.  

Perhaps not, but we certainly could have been better than we are today and increase those odds.

1 hour ago, angels1963 said:

Just heard on Hot Stove from a Jim Callis interview that nobody should be surprised if the Braves make Max Fried available. How good would he look in the Angel rotation. The big question is what would you have to give up to get him? He's a second year arb guy expected to get something like 12.5 mil.