• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Now what? What moves would you like to see them make.

Stradling

18 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I’m wondering if the Angels are kicking tires on Kenta Maeda or Sonny Gray. Twins would probably like to save some money, they missed on the big SS…Rengifo could be of interest, someone like Suarez would always be of interest, Adell could have playing time if they move Kepler as reported. 

Both arms would fit the mold of what the Halos are looking for. 

I'm not keen on trading assets for a starter when you can just sign one in free agency.

It's not like Maeda or Gray are cheap either. You'd have to give up prospects and pay their salary. (I know Maeda's base salary is low, but I believe he has incentives that push it up significantly)

Edited by Trendon

19 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I’m wondering if the Angels are kicking tires on Kenta Maeda or Sonny Gray. Twins would probably like to save some money, they missed on the big SS…Rengifo could be of interest, someone like Suarez would always be of interest, Adell could have playing time if they move Kepler as reported. 

Both arms would fit the mold of what the Halos are looking for. 

I would be pretty pissed if they moved Rengifo or Suarez for a rental.  

Just finish the job and round out the roster. They can’t make his signing official until they remove someone from the 40 man roster. So if it’s a trade then we would have to make it a 2 for 1 trade. I can’t see us trading anyone on the 40 man to pick up a piece that doesn’t need to be protected. So if it’s a trade you almost feel like it’s a pitcher and an infielder going for either a SS or a better pitcher. Or they will simply release Velazquez. 

56 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Just finish the job and round out the roster. They can’t make his signing official until they remove someone from the 40 man roster. So if it’s a trade then we would have to make it a 2 for 1 trade. I can’t see us trading anyone on the 40 man to pick up a piece that doesn’t need to be protected. So if it’s a trade you almost feel like it’s a pitcher and an infielder going for either a SS or a better pitcher. Or they will simply release Velazquez. 

I think there are enough fringe players on the roster that we can probably DFA one without too much concern.  I don't think they will DFA Velazquez, though - maybe a reliever.

So, as of now -

SS Rengifo, CF Trout, DH Ohtani, LF Ward, 3B Rendon, 1B Walsh, 2B Drury, LF Renfroe, C Stassi.  Bench:  C/1B Thaiss, IF Urshela, IF Fletcher, OF Moniak. **"Bench" is just a term here, as I expect to see Urshela and Fletcher playing close to daily

Rotation:  Ohtani, Sandoval, Anderson, Detmers, Suarez, ??.  Bullpen:  Estevez, Herget, Loup, Tepera, Quijada, Barria, Davidson (possible DFA option?), and various others.

So - SP and bullpen seem likely targets.  I would say our lineup and bench is rather set.  Would not be surprised to see a backup catcher added (and Thaiss DFA'd).  A wild card to that might be if the FO feels O'Hoppe is ready now (?), then that may not be necessary.  Would love to see a backup OF, but I am less hopeful about that one.

That lineup is very right-handed, but that aside, that lineup should be a significant improvement over what we saw last year.  I like what Minasian has accomplished this offseason.  Sure, we aren't the Mets (lol), but given the financial resources at hand, I think Minasian has done a great job of improving the floor of this team significantly.

I struggle to see how Thaiss makes the team. Outside of him being able to catch he’s very redundant. His ability to catch, while important, it’s only important if he can actually be at least decent behind the plate. With the new rules I think a ton of catchers will be exposed. Thaiss could make the team if Walsh is in the minors, rehabbing or off the team. 

14 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I struggle to see how Thaiss makes the team. Outside of him being able to catch he’s very redundant. His ability to catch, while important, it’s only important if he can actually be at least decent behind the plate. With the new rules I think a ton of catchers will be exposed. Thaiss could make the team if Walsh is in the minors, rehabbing or off the team. 

Agreed.  I think this team gets a good defensive catcher.  Or maybe O'Hoppe makes the club from the start.  We'll see, but I don't think Thaiss will actually make the team.

27 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Am I missing something? Aren’t Stassi, Thaiss and O’hoppe the top 3 catchers on the organizational depth chart? Seems to me that unless O’hoppe really forces his way into the line up it’s Stassi and Thaiss on the 25 man on opening day.  

3 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Am I missing something? Aren’t Stassi, Thaiss and O’hoppe the top 3 catchers on the organizational depth chart? Seems to me that unless O’hoppe really forces his way into the line up it’s Stassi and Thaiss on the 25 man on opening day.  

I think the point is that Thaiss isn't a great defensive catcher and that given the additions the Angels have made elsewhere on the roster, his ability to play other positions isn't as valuable as it may have once been.  In other words, the Angels need a "real" catcher. 

9 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

I would be pretty pissed if they moved Rengifo or Suarez for a rental.  

For sure. It’s more that they seem to be actively shopping Rengifo, and seemingly have been for some time, that makes me think it could be feasible. 

Could always see a three-team deal play out too.

28 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Thaiss has caught 120 or so professional games.  He isn’t ready to be counted on.  They will get a legitimate catching option before the season starts.  

25 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I think the point is that Thaiss isn't a great defensive catcher and that given the additions the Angels have made elsewhere on the roster, his ability to play other positions isn't as valuable as it may have once been.  In other words, the Angels need a "real" catcher. 

Yes.

The Angels infield depth looks great, but i'd have to imagine a good sized trade is in the works. 
I've been thinking Rengifo and Suarez for a SS or Rengifo + package for someone else. 

I kind of want them to take a run at Eovaldi (I think the 6-man rotation helps with his health) and then sign another bullpen arm. 

Either way, a trade HAS to be on the way. If not, then I feel like this team is still a 3rd place team.

Depth looks great now, I love Rengifo but if you can package him for a top SS I would do that. I get a cheap OF that can play CF hit from left side and has speed. Moniak may fit there but if you can get Ortega on minor league deal would also fit. Maybe trade for V,B. from Tampa he can all over. Another SP and BP addition I feel are coming maybe trade or FA. Perry has done a very nice job.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Thaiss has caught 120 or so professional games.  He isn’t ready to be counted on.  They will get a legitimate catching option before the season starts.  

Think they’re just waiting for the right time to try to slip him through waivers, or he still might be getting some hits in trade talks.

Totally agree though - he isn’t a catching option. He either needs to be in AAA catching full time to stay on that career path, or utility work in the bigs - and that doesn’t seem likely in Anaheim given current state of roster.

1 hour ago, angelsnationtalk said:

The Angels infield depth looks great, but i'd have to imagine a good sized trade is in the works. 
I've been thinking Rengifo and Suarez for a SS or Rengifo + package for someone else. 

I kind of want them to take a run at Eovaldi (I think the 6-man rotation helps with his health) and then sign another bullpen arm. 

Either way, a trade HAS to be on the way. If not, then I feel like this team is still a 3rd place team.

I’m digging Eovaldi as an option quite a bit. His addition would make the rotation a definite strength, even if Suarez winds up subtracted.

I’m not totally sure a SS would be the trade target anymore. I really think they’re comfortable with Fletcher/Rengifo/Soto/Squid/etc… I could see them exploring the trade market for SP/CP (Hendrix?) help as much as they would be shopping for SS.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

I’m digging Eovaldi as an option quite a bit. His addition would make the rotation a definite strength, even if Suarez winds up subtracted.

I’m not totally sure a SS would be the trade target anymore. I really think they’re comfortable with Fletcher/Rengifo/Soto/Squid/etc… I could see them exploring the trade market for SP/CP (Hendrix?) help as much as they would be shopping for SS.

Totally agree. If the cost of business at SS exceeds the expected increase in production, then just switch to anther position that would produce more wins. 

unless Vidal brujan 

10 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Think they’re just waiting for the right time to try to slip him through waivers, or he still might be getting some hits in trade talks.

Totally agree though - he isn’t a catching option. He either needs to be in AAA catching full time to stay on that career path, or utility work in the bigs - and that doesn’t seem likely in Anaheim given current state of roster.

TBH, I don't think there's much value in Thaiss.  He's a below average offensive 1B such that no team would really take him at this point, given his lack of options.  His only real value is as a catcher moving forward.  I think he can probably be fairly easily DFA'd and then signed to a minor league deal.  Give him another year of seasoning behind the plate in 2023, then go from there.

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I'd like Eovaldi but I somewhat suspect he is out of our price range.  So if that's the case, I'd be down with Rich Hill, who could greatly benefit from pitching in a 6-man rotation.  I get that he's a lefty starter and that'd give us 5, but he'd just be on a one year deal.  If not him, then Wacha, etc.  I think we are probably looking at that tier of SPs, which is fine, as I think we have 5 solid options already and are mainly just looking at another solid but unspectacular option to complete the rotation.

4 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I think there are enough fringe players on the roster that we can probably DFA one without too much concern.  I don't think they will DFA Velazquez, though - maybe a reliever.

At this point Weiss is the last obvious cut candidate to me

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

TBH, I don't think there's much value in Thaiss.  He's a below average offensive 1B such that no team would really take him at this point, given his lack of options.  His only real value is as a catcher moving forward.  I think he can probably be fairly easily DFA'd and then signed to a minor league deal.  Give him another year of seasoning behind the plate in 2023, then go from there.

Much like the Brujan chatter, another tram might recognize Thaiss could be squeezed out here since he’s out of options. No real trade value, but could fall in as a lotto ticket throw-in, or a DFA for a DFA type move.

Edited by totdprods

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

Thaiss right now is just organizational depth.  He has a unique value in his ability to be an emergency catcher.  But there is no way on earth this team is going to rely on him as a second catcher on a big league roster.  No way.

I disagree with your assessment that his only real value is at catcher going forward.

I think his highest value is a bench player that can play a few positions including “emergency” catcher.

I hope for big steps forward for all Angel prospects but realistically I think this is a role player type.