• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

2 hours ago, Trendon said:

It's gotten worse the last couple of offseasons, to the point where you can't trust anyone outside of team reporters and news breakers.

Some of the people outside of those two categories may have valid info, but it's too hard to separate those people out.

Obviously you are new at following these rumors. You're "trusted sources" like Rosenthal and Heyman have thrown more darts over the years that can be counted. Heyman has been labeled the Boras mouthpiece, spreading team involvement rumors for free agents that were never even interested. It's all a game of being the first but not worrying about being wrong because nobody keeps score. 

7 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I do not buy this one.  This seems more like Boras trying to stir the pot.  

Rosenthal doesn’t really do that.  If he’s writing a whole article dedicated to a specific connection, there’s merit to it

12 minutes ago, mmc said:

Rosenthal doesn’t really do that.  If he’s writing a whole article dedicated to a specific connection, there’s merit to it

Maybe.. I don't know.  Even Cohen has to have his limits.  Adding another 30+ mil AAV player, just hard to see it, especially when he already has Lindor at SS locked up for many years.

29 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Maybe.. I don't know.  Even Cohen has to have his limits.  Adding another 30+ mil AAV player, just hard to see it, especially when he already has Lindor at SS locked up for many years.

They’re taking a page right out of the Dodgers playbook, and so far it’s looking pretty savvy.

Dramatically boost payroll to gin up fan interest, fan money, and ideally wins. They haven’t really lost draft picks or dealt away much of their farm - so they’ve continued to build a cheap future. This has also allowed them to let some players walk - collecting comp picks rather than losing picks. The only thing they haven’t really done that the Dodgers were good at would be buying prospects by taking bad contracts, and that’s something that I think they would be doing if more teams were willing to sell prospects these days.

The big part of the equation that’s unknown is if they can build and develop talent like the Dodgers have done. Otherwise, they’re taking a very similar approach.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

They’re taking a page right out of the Dodgers playbook, and so far it’s looking pretty savvy.

Dramatically boost payroll to gin up fan interest, fan money, and ideally wins. They haven’t really lost draft picks or dealt away much of their farm - so they’ve continued to build a cheap future. This has also allowed them to let some players walk - collecting comp picks rather than losing picks. The only thing they haven’t really done that the Dodgers were good at would be buying prospects by taking bad contracts, and that’s something that I think they would be doing if more teams were willing to sell prospects these days.

The big part of the equation that’s unknown is if they can build and develop talent like the Dodgers have done. Otherwise, they’re taking a very similar approach.

Cohen said he wanted to be "Dodgers East," I think, when he bought the team.  So I guess that is what we are seeing unfold.  The only thing though is the Dodgers acquired the best GM in baseball when it comes to building a prospect infrastructure.  We'll see if Eppler can recreate the same thing in NY.

Regardless, as I said in the other thread, this is what I hope our future is - whoever takes over has the same general approach of increasing payroll while ultimately funding a buildout of a powerhouse prospect farm system.

3 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Cohen flexing on every other owner in the league. The tax hit gonna be higher than half of MLB teams payrolls at this rate

Although his network is wayyyyy more than anyone else...

but it's nice to see an owner WANT to win and has said he will do whatever it takes. We all know these owners can easily afford going past the tax. 

The amount of money they earn for marketing these players and getting butts in the seats more than justifies the financial moves.