• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sam Blum interview with Phil Nevin

mmc

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

Genuinely curious, what did you find interesting about it?

For me it was this...   and maybe this ties in with how some guys started to do better...

Nevin made some changes about a month into his tenure — namely making pregame hitting and fielding more of a mandatory team activity. A little less autonomy, but more structure as a result.

“We had a large body of very young players that were trying to find their way in this league,” Nevin said. “My observations — I just felt like they needed more on-field time. They needed more preparation time. They’re still learning how to find a routine in this game. … When we’re on the field working, I wanted that to be together as a team.”

25 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

For me it was this...   and maybe this ties in with how some guys started to do better...

Nevin made some changes about a month into his tenure — namely making pregame hitting and fielding more of a mandatory team activity. A little less autonomy, but more structure as a result.

“We had a large body of very young players that were trying to find their way in this league,” Nevin said. “My observations — I just felt like they needed more on-field time. They needed more preparation time. They’re still learning how to find a routine in this game. … When we’re on the field working, I wanted that to be together as a team.”

i will never understand how mlb is the only sport that fails to have even the most basic semblence of team practice. i always wonder how much better could a team be, if they did? i mean even batting practice, if you've ever watched it, is mostly guys just going up there and taking their hacks. very few of them actually work on anything other than "timing" which is nearly a joke considering the bp pitches.

41 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i will never understand how mlb is the only sport that fails to have even the most basic semblence of team practice. i always wonder how much better could a team be, if they did? i mean even batting practice, if you've ever watched it, is mostly guys just going up there and taking their hacks. very few of them actually work on anything other than "timing" which is nearly a joke considering the bp pitches.

I think this is totally wrong. 

Plus, I think most of the real “work” guys do on their swings is in the indoor cages because they have more tech and cameras and stuff in there. 

6 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I think this is totally wrong. 

Plus, I think most of the real “work” guys do on their swings is in the indoor cages because they have more tech and cameras and stuff in there. 

i'll accept your professional opinion. 

i understand they are doing individual work, but my point was that i find it strange there isn't team practice in mlb. 

13 minutes ago, Revad said:

It sounds like Nevin likes a bit more structure than Maddon, especially for the younger guys.  I wonder how much of being a “player’s manager” is not having many rules to follow.

I’d assume it would be the same in any job. You need structure but not micromanagement. You need discipline but you need the last amount of discipline to get the result you want. You need open lines of communication and you need to be approachable. If you do those last couple of things well you can have a lot of rules. 

24 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’d assume it would be the same in any job. You need structure but not micromanagement. You need discipline but you need the last amount of discipline to get the result you want. You need open lines of communication and you need to be approachable. If you do those last couple of things well you can have a lot of rules. 

dj hands GIF

8 hours ago, ukyah said:

i'll accept your professional opinion. 

i understand they are doing individual work, but my point was that i find it strange there isn't team practice in mlb. 

What do you mean by “team practice”?

They can’t all hit at once. And defensively they all have different things to practice for their positions.

18 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

What do you mean by “team practice”?

They can’t all hit at once. And defensively they all have different things to practice for their positions.

They should all line up and play water balloon toss with Adell.

I genuinely don’t understand what going out and paying several million for a bigger name manager is going to bring to the team vs. Nevin.  Keep Nevin around - who did a fine job with a bad team - and give the extra money to more development/player acquisition guys.  I don’t know anything.  So who gives a shit what I think.  But on it’s face that seems like an obvious move to me.  

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I genuinely don’t understand what going out and paying several million for a bigger name manager is going to bring to the team vs. Nevin.  Keep Nevin around - who did a fine job with a bad team - and give the extra money to more development/player acquisition guys.  I don’t know anything.  So who gives a shit what I think.  But on it’s face that seems like an obvious move to me.  

Why did you change your avatar? Do you know what this means?

10 hours ago, arch stanton said:

Get The Athletic and read the article you cheapskates

I don’t know if this was partially directed towards me, but I read the article. I was just interested in hearing other people’s takeaways from it.

10 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I think what that shows is that the Angels need a manager who will hold players accountable and be somewhat demanding.

Basically, they need the opposite of Maddon’s laid back style.

9 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I don’t know if this was partially directed towards me, but I read the article. I was just interested in hearing other people’s takeaways from it.

I like the article, and Sam's work in general. I am rooting for Phil to get the gig. Players seem to like playing for him, he appears to get along with FO, he's a local guy etc. I think he's earned a shot for at least next year.

17 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I think what that shows is that the Angels need a manager who will hold players accountable and be somewhat demanding.

Basically, they need the opposite of Maddon’s laid back style.

Also shows Nevin saw an area that needed fixing and made the effort to do something about it.